JackHammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] JackHammer

Here's a quick prototype of a semi new melee weapon. It's a cross between a jackhammer (Primary) and the Impact Hammer (Alternate). Its all done in blueprints so it should be easy enough for anybody to play around with.

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
    Also keep in mind that we are interested in considering alternate functionality for some weapons... In particular the impact hammer has never had an alternate fire we've been particularly happy with.
    Here's my try at solving the question "What melee weapon can charge up, Hammer Jump, and __________?"

Primary: Fast jackhammer attack. Good for finishing off weakened opponents. You can see in the vid that it juggles the enemy in the air. I'm not sure how it will work in practice, but the idea is that by popping the enemy in the air you limit movement and eliminate dodging. Which I hope will complement the risk of getting up close and getting one-shotted. This can always be removed.

Alternate: Charge up. Hammer Jump (think of it like a industrial pogo-stick), The longer you charge the more damage/boost you get. On boost you take reduced damage. I've thought about when you do a fully charged Alt that kills the target, the drill bit will launch like a projectile and pin the ragdoll to the wall. This might make it as satisfying as Impact hammer

The most similar thing I can think of is the knife from counter-strike. It has the yin-yang of [fast/low dmg & slow/big dmg] and it works quite well.

The blueprint is pretty rough. If you guys think there is potential here I'll put some more time in and fix it up. And add things like the Alt shooting automatically when in range

And if anyone wants to make the model look more like a jackhammer and not a jack-o-lantern that would be awesome

JackHammer.zip

It takes to much time to charge up alternate fire. I must wait for atleast 2 sec before i can "hammer jump".

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
      It takes to much time to charge up alternate fire. I must wait for atleast 2 sec before i can "hammer jump".
      It can be released at any time, but will do less damage/boost if not fully charged. Fully charged is set to 1 second in the vid. 2 seconds is closer to the Impact hammer, which is probably how long it should take. Open up the blueprint and play around with the times. Let me know what feels right
      Last edited by TimEh; 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I love it! You poking those characters to death was actually hilarious.
        UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
        Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

AHAHAHAHAH, man, that weapon sound was hilarious!
          *Sorry if that wasn't intended, but really - I just LMAO'ed when I heard the sound.

Nice design, though! And the last kill... brilliant brutality!

Comment

Originally posted by polyneutron View Post
            AHAHAHAHAH, man, that weapon sound was hilarious!
            Yeah the sounds are from this guy https://www.freesound.org/people/Ferdinger/. Some cool Industrial sounds in there if anyone is interested

Comment

Just curious, did you make the model for this yourself?
              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

me likes
                But how could one player reacts when he is in air? He can shoots, I guess. But can he move?

You're great dude

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                  Just curious, did you make the model for this yourself?
                  Ya I did the model/animations. Just the bare minimum to convey what I was thinking (how its held, how it operates, hydraulic lines, pressure gauge, heat vents, orange). I'm terrible at the art side of things but I enjoy it.

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
                  But how could one player reacts when he is in air? He can shoots, I guess. But can he move?
                  Your guess is as good as mine . I haven't tried it out. Air control is set to 0.5 in steve_HEAVY so there is still mobility. There are many ways to implement some sort of movement impairment if it is desired but just bumping him in the air was the quickest solution. I still think most of the ranged weapons point blank would win, so you might need to strafe around the target while juggling.
                  Last edited by TimEh; 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I wish I could even make garbage models/anims like this (not that yours are necessarily garbage, I just mean placeholders that aren't meant to look great)
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Still sounds offensive with all the apologies. Just say "rushed placeholder" instead of garbage. :P

Comment

Originally posted by TimEh View Post
                        Ya I did the model/animations. Just the bare minimum to convey what I was thinking (how its held, how it operates, hydraulic lines, pressure gauge, heat vents, orange). I'm terrible at the art side of things but I enjoy it.
                        Good job so far

It have a good similarity to the original impact hammer, and looks like a miners tool adapted for weapon use.

some suggestions to try out:
                        Try to add a tank for pressurized air propellant (replacing the heat-vent on the right to the pressure gage) , and make the handle under the weapon angled, and move it more backwards a little.
                        **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
                        64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
                        READY.

Comment

With a difrent 3d model it could actually work, It looks quite fun. Also I like your sound design - it is very clear by the audio cue when the weapon is fully charged. Good job overall!

Comment

pretty cool. i really want to see a "kill animation" for this weapon, like the chainsaw gun in gears of war. impale the target and lift them up in the air before throwing them down, or launching them in to the air. \m/
                            "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Neat, but wouldn't that spike get dulled really darn fast launching you around everywhere?

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X