Lightning Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Lightning Gun

I've ported much of the UT2004 lightning Gun to C++. The image doesn't really do it justice but the current implementations are as follows:
    - Primary and Secondary fire
    - All Sounds
    - Fire / Equip / Un Equip animations
    - Beam and sparkle charge emitters
    - Attachment and muzzle effects
    - Ammo pickups

All properties including damage, trace distance etc is tuned to be in line with UT2004.

The following implementations are still pending:
    - Headshot detection
    - Lightning branch arcing (unsure if this should be as I never found it to be meaningful to gameplay)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea8xhun6pv...ghtningGun.zip
    RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Well, you beat me to it. Did you make your own models and stuff? Obviously this is an area I completely fail at
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Eek, fix that double-sided material issue on the end of the barrel There is a thin line below the end of the barrel which is actually supposed to be a double-sided material. It broke in UT2004, but it showed up fine in UT2003.
      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

For people without engine, would love to see video representation!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          Well, you beat me to it. Did you make your own models and stuff? Obviously this is an area I completely fail at
          All the assets are from UT2004 plus some basic normal and ambient occlusion maps for the skin.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Eek, fix that double-sided material issue on the end of the barrel There is a thin line below the end of the barrel which is actually supposed to be a double-sided material. It broke in UT2004, but it showed up fine in UT2003.
          Good catch. I was wondering if that flakiness in the mesh was intentional. Fixed on my end. I'll upload a fixed build later today.

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
          For people without engine, would love to see video representation!
          I'll see if I can put together a decent quality video once I'm home.
          RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Comment

Can you maybe get the sound of the 2k3 lightning gun aswell?

Nice work btw.
            Last edited by Hektoerr; 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Here's a quick video I threw together:

Originally posted by peterk View Post
              Can you maybe get the sound of the 2k3 lightning gun aswell?

Nice work btw.
              I never owned UT2003 so I'm not sure which sounds it used.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev View Post
                Here's a quick video I threw together:

I never owned UT2003 so I'm not sure which sounds it used.
                Looks amazing, do rest of ut2k4 weapons!!

Comment

Bravo Trev, nice job.

Comment

Even though i'm not much of a fan of the lightning gun, very nice job ^^

Comment

Btw, is it possible to try some of the new lightning gun concepts with your implementation? if there will be any...

Comment

Very nice. I love it!
                        Flop 1: Classic UT'ers got their way in UT3. Flop 2: Imminent.

Comment

Trev do you think there is a way to make projectile not be so straight? I mean it should have some curves or something to the lightning instead of a straight line. Also was wondering the max distance of the lightning bolt you put into this prototype.
                          History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                          UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                          UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                          UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
                            Btw, is it possible to try some of the new lightning gun concepts with your implementation? if there will be any...
                            Most of the programming involved is just for visual and audio feedback from the emitters and zoom sounds so prototyping new fire modes is relatively simple.

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                            Trev do you think there is a way to make projectile not be so straight? I mean it should have some curves or something to the lightning instead of a straight line. Also was wondering the max distance of the lightning bolt you put into this prototype.
                            Trace distance is 34000 though that is almost definitely excessive for the new unit scale. The beam effect isn't a perfect port but I'm not concerned with that. For prototyping, as long as the visual feedback is meaningful, I think that's all that matters.

Over the weekend I'll implement the missing features and switch to the new zoom implementation that was added yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev View Post
                              Most of the programming involved is just for visual and audio feedback from the emitters and zoom sounds so prototyping new fire modes is relatively simple.
                              By that question i only meant visuals. trying new skins, models etc. not new fire modes.

Comment

Working...
                              X