Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact Hammer - Alternative Fire, Air Burst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Impact Hammer - Alternative Fire, Air Burst.

Concept Update Click Here!

One of my favorite parts about Unreal Tournament 2004 was the movement, even though there was issues for some. Moving quickly and effortlessly throughout the maps added to the pace and skill of the game. A good player would be able to execute jumps that would allow superior positioning over an opponent. After watching the live stream I came up with a concept for the Impact Hammers alt-fire. Having an "Air Burst" as the alternative firing mode that may be a half-way point between the style of 2004 and UT99 into something fresh and new.

In the picture above I illustrated an example of a modified hammer gun with an alt-fire alternative of an air burst. The air-burst will serve three purposes.

One, this will allow the user to propel themselves in the air, if they are already in the air. This will allow a good player to execute a positional jump by switching weapons, they take the risk of performing the jump by unarming themselves briefly, so the opportunity to perform a jump would play into the player’s decision making.

Movement Concepts
    -Impact Hammer Jump + Air burst (picture above) = Impact Hammer Jump into "Double Jump"
    -Dodge + Air Burst = "Dodge Jump" (Tricky to pull off to turn to propel yourself, would allow for skill base jumps)
    -Jump + Air Burst = "Double Jump" (Weaker height than hammer jump, but enough to simulate double jump)

The second purpose would be as a melee-mid range defensive tactic. While grounded, a player would be able to use this to push an opposing player away if they are close up and in the air by dodging or jumping. Also if the enemy is too close it may knock the enemy down, this would serve as a mechanic to protect players who have just died and have no weapons.

A third purpose could be as a mid-long range defense against rockets and other “large” projectile weapons such as a charged bio rifle glob. A player with good timing may be able to push or destroy a rocket before it impacts them or push a ball of poison from the bio-rifle away from them.

Obviously there would need to be a cool down or recharge effect like the translocator on the alt-fire along with tweaking in terms of defensive properties and weapon switch speed. The movement properties would need to be worked out as well but I think it would be a good compromise between what we had in Unreal 2K4 and UT99

(If vehicles are added it can also be used to push light weight vehicles off course trying to cause vehicular manslaughter to you, such as the manta)

Also if anyone could prototype this concept or help me prototype it, my UE4 blueprint knowledge isn't very savvy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Esula; 08-12-2014, 08:29 PM.
    [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
    [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

I like this idea, it would allow a better player to differentiate themselves with quick decision making. It would allow for quicker pace and better aerial combat.

+1

Comment

I think this is an excellent idea! I was thinking along these lines in the thread discussing shieldgun/impact hammer:

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
      Then going along the theme of the impact hammer blasting compressed air, have primary have the airblast effect when fired for reflecting rockets, flak secondry and bio blobs.

If this is all too complicated I also had the idea of the airblast giving you a short boost, similar to the kick of firing an avril in UT2004. This way you could limit your fall damage (to a certain extent) and gain a little more height from a jump.
      I love the idea of getting some extra movement and being able to defensively deflect projectiles at the cost of offence. The only issue I see here is how to balance deflection - some kind of recharge time is needed like with the shield guns shield regen. It could automatically refill compressed air when not being fired...
      UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
      Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

I don't like the idea of having it add a double-jump mechanic. Not in non-vehicular gametypes, and in vehicular gametypes we already have hoverboards or jetpacks or some other way to move quickly and effortlessly. There is a good reason why you can only hammer/shieldjump if you take damage, and it's to prevent people from doing that. It's enough to break levels as it is, adding something more on top of it would put everything back into oversized UT2 scale.

Though I'm fine with the idea of it pushing around projectiles and other players. It could be made into a nice teamwork thing, perhaps, so you could give a bit of a boost to your flag carrier.

EDIT: Also, this is totally in the wrong area, the WIP forum is for weapons that have actual blueprints and stuff. Concepts should go to the main weapon design forum.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          There is a good reason why you can only hammer/shieldjump if you take damage, and it's to prevent people from doing that. It's enough to break levels as it is, adding something more on top of it would put everything back into oversized UT2 scale.
          Having the air burst only propel you if you are already in the air to do a "double jump" is a risk vs reward and plays into decision making as you have to take out the impact hammer leaving you vulnerable. I feel this adds depth to the movement were its easy to learn but hard to master by knowing when and where to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
            Having the air burst only propel you if you are already in the air to do a "double jump" is a risk vs reward and plays into decision making as you have to take out the impact hammer leaving you vulnerable. I feel this adds depth to the movement were its easy to learn but hard to master by knowing when and where to use it.
            It's irrelevant if it's risk vs reward. The relevant thing is that it breaks levels, unless ledges are very far up and spaced out. Which means you'd be back in UT2004 oversized map scale.

Comment

I like this concept if the upward force is capped out at cancelling out your negative Z momentum. (ie, good to prevent fall damage /gain a little extra hang time). The extra height/distance gained second jump should require you to damage yourself with a piston jump... And then you're already getting more height, so the double jump element shouldn't be necessary

Comment

I acutally added that feature for a HammerJumper mutator for UT3 to train Hammer jump and quickly get to any location.

http://social.xfire.com/videos/3454f4
                @1:30
                ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Omg this sounds pretty awesome. I hope this is added.

Comment

I like the idea a lot! +1

Especially the movement part and the defensive part that relies on timing as opposed to the 2k4 shield.
                    Curve projectiles prototype: Thread Code

UTComp-CTF: @github

Comment

Originally posted by Wink View Post
                      I like the idea a lot! +1

Especially the movement part and the defensive part that relies on timing as opposed to the 2k4 shield.
                      Yeah I think it would work well, I added another cheesy animation to my post showing a glob of goo deflection.

Comment

I think the air burst could be good, not sure how it would work when put into play. It might be a bit inefficient as - for double jump - you have to face the opposite direction to where you are going, or the ground. Taking your eyes off where you want to go is a bit dangerous. For deflecting fire, it wouldn't work well at all, as an example you could deflect one shot from the biorifle, but they would just continue fire (that rapid click method). I could be wrong though, It's definitely worth a try.

Rather than creating another thread, I'll just post it here.
                        Some other suggestions for impact and biorifle alt fire modes.

3d Artist
                        UT Cosmetic Items |
                        UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Originally posted by danpaz3d View Post
                          For deflecting fire, it wouldn't work well at all, as an example you could deflect one shot from the biorifle, but they would just continue fire (that rapid click method). I could be wrong though, It's definitely worth a try.
                          The concept would be to deflect or destroy a lethal hit, for example; freshly spawning and having 3 rockets coming at you, use the "air burst" to destroy the rockets with the right timing giving you an opportunity to pick up a gun. If someone is spamming goo at you well just try to dodge it ;p I guess if you used air burst for that you would splatter some back in their direction.

Could also have the air burst break up larger projectiles and deflect smaller pieces back. Someone shoots a flak shell at you, they get flak shards back in their face.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpySir View Post
                            I like this concept if the upward force is capped out at cancelling out your negative Z momentum. (ie, good to prevent fall damage /gain a little extra hang time). The extra height/distance gained second jump should require you to damage yourself with a piston jump... And then you're already getting more height, so the double jump element shouldn't be necessary
                            See I didn't even think about using it to prevent falling damage with the right timing haha, It's like a protective and springy cushion, something so simple with many situational and strategic uses.
                            Last edited by Esula; 06-28-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danpaz3d View Post
                              they would just continue fire (that rapid click method). I could be wrong though, It's definitely worth a try.

Rather than creating another thread, I'll just post it here.
                              Some other suggestions for impact and biorifle alt fire modes.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bea2ea0e...cuuo1_1280.jpg
                              No rapid clicking! If you want to merge both bio-rifle modes, make it autocharge instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X