Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact Hammer - Alternative Fire, Air Burst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my god... an air blast? THE FARTGUN IS REAL! XD Neat idea, me likey.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpySir View Post
      I like this concept if the upward force is capped out at cancelling out your negative Z momentum. (ie, good to prevent fall damage /gain a little extra hang time). The extra height/distance gained second jump should require you to damage yourself with a piston jump... And then you're already getting more height, so the double jump element shouldn't be necessary
      +1 to the first half of the idea. There shouldn't be any double-jumps or double-jump-like features. But it'd be OP to cancel out vertical speed, as Shield Gun's alt fire doesn't prevent all fall damage.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeIcarian View Post
        +1 to the first half of the idea. There shouldn't be any double-jumps or double-jump-like features. But it'd be OP to cancel out vertical speed, as Shield Gun's alt fire doesn't prevent all fall damage.
        Yeah, it would need balancing, especially when and where damage would need to be a factor.
        Last edited by Esula; 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM.
        [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
        [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

It certainly has potential. The air burst reminds me of how the shield gun reflects a shock core. Quite like it.
          ut2k4 > *
          Not all maps understood the 2k4 movement. Not the other way around.

Comment

Not fond of it being "air" but everything else I'm okay with.

It won't break levels anymore than regular hammer jumps, as it creates ample risk for the mechanic: disarmament. With no shield, and being air born, etc, if properly balanced, maps could still be written for core movement, as well as weapons.

One of the many problems with a core double jump, or dodge jump, is how it favors what weapons. If you're in CQC with someone, you can easily double jump to avoid rockets, or flak, whilst simultaneously cycling beam spam, with an occasional bolt in between. If that movement mechanic is subsequent of holding the weapon, then you're not doing that, and my missed rockets are just missed rockets.

The hammer is already used to enhance movement. It could be justifiably written into the weapon, so as not to be assumed "magic." With proper interaction with current physics (no hard momentum resets) it would be great.

Might not pair well with the crouch slide though. It could be like a little jet engine lol.

Also, it should be able to deflect or absorb all fire, not projectiles in particular, which would play off my idea of some form of parry alt fire. I might even look to work it like a fighter tech, where a normal tech will neutralize, but a well timed tech will reflect.

I would also still want it to maintain the powerup push from UT3. That mechanic is really fantastic.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
              Not fond of it being "air" but everything else I'm okay with.
              Yeah it doesn't have to be air pressure. I picked air because of it's compressed air industrial feel and the whole mining corporation setting. What do you think about some kind of shock wave?
              [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
              [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

UT3 hammer is already an "EMP." The propulsion could be Gaussian, or some other electromagnetic shock wave. It can be skinned as an afterthought.
                Originally posted by Mysterial
                An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

In UT2k4, the ChaosUT mod added a weapon with similar abilities, the MUG. The air burst was pretty powerful, useful for blasting people off cliffs or getting a boost in a jump. To me, I mostly used the MUG on low-grav maps such as HyperBlast as a sort of flight. Hit the air burst in a regular interval to fly across the map. Only issue is, while I was flying, I could not shoot back at people trying to shock tap me!

Air blasts will have an issue in low gravity maps because people can use it like a form of flight to reach normally impossible points for sniping. The power per blast will have to be weak or the amount of time to use these air bursts will have to be long to prevent using the hammer for flight.
                  Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                  Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                  Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                  --Captain Crit

Comment

I really like the concept. I had already posted in another more general section of the forum about the shieldjump/impact hammer and had written this:

"what i also loved and i think should be back is the shield/impact hammer from ut2004. The shield is useful if one is out of ammo. this should especially be considered in case the choice will go for "consumable weapons"(meaning that if you pick up a weapon it will disappear for others too). But one of the main fun factors in favour of the shield & hammer are the possibility to reduce fall damage. This is especially useful, if not crucial, in big maps, like ONS or assault, or when you do big trickjumps and dodges from jumppads. It s important to remember that there'll be a ton of mods which will be "fun oriented" and over the top, as opposed to being oriented on pure competitiveness.
                    If people are against shieldgun implementation in traditional gametypes (tam,dm, ctf), perhaps iplementation of the shieldgun as a pickup could be an easy solution in order for mappers to easily implement it in a teams base (such as in Assault and racemaps)."

and in general on movement(in which impact-/shieldjumps have an important role):
                    "in general, to get the unreal experience, hence not having the same klunky and highgravity feeling of all the other 10000 fps games out there, i like to make the most of the incredible feel for mobility you have in ut. So i m also in favour of doublejump, walldodging and shield(impact)jumps. i've heard some people saying that too much mobility makes the game skilless, as players would be to hard to hit. On the contrary, I think that if you indulge too much injumping around you will give opponents a trajectory and therefore an easy target..."

with this in mind-and considering that people don t seem to like the idea of a shield- I find the idea of the airboost very interesting for the movement side and i would be very fond of the falldamage reduction. On this particular issue, let s not forget that big ons/as/race/vctf maps are likely to be made in which players will likely have to face being stuck on high parts of the map. In such a situation i would like to be able to keep playing through a well timed (skill) airboost at the cost of some life.

So, in general i find it a very good idea. I m just a bit worried about the reflection of projectiles in the sense that it could easily end up becoming OP, if it becomes something similar to the team fortress2 weapon with wich you can easily reflect all incoming rockets. Also what other projectiles were you guys thinking could be reflected? I think Biorifle reflection would be a bit of a pity, since I really like the weapon , as it is very rewarding if you use it right, but it s a bit underpowered when compared to other weapons, so i m not sure i would want it to have another weakness. Redeemer would be very easy to time(i may agree that the redeemer is a bit cheap, but also fun and it would be very disappointing to have it cancelled 90% of the time). Were you thinking that shockballs should be reflectable too?

On the nature of the gun: maybe it could be cool if it was some gun which uses soundwaves to compress/modify the air in front of the player, such as a sort of subwoofer-looking gun. In this sense it could perhaps make the air hyperdense in front of it with altfire, so that phisical projectiles like rockets could be slowed down enough to dodge away from them, instead of reflecting or breaking them. Also, the compression of the air in front of the player could be the source of falldamage reduction (by acting as a coushion). This could be a more balanced solution... Also i never liked the ut3 impacthammer, in the sense that i never understood how a mining hammer could have such a use. A weapon, which was designed as a weapon like the ut2k shieldgun made more sense to me(but i d use it as a pickup, not as startup weapon).

hope some of this imput could be useful

Comment

Working...
                    X