Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I drew up these crappy concepts in paint with a mouse, and im not the best artist but i think it gives the general shapes of the concept.
    (im not good with lines, shading, and all those angles lol...)

in this picture its showing changes to the front mechanism for launching the blade, their now a bit smoother and spikey to match the style of the weapon, as well as the drum (now a closed drum) in the upright position (static position) for more practical reloading.
    For the reload animation the outer claws will move outwards, then down slightly, then back inwards under the next blade, then upward again into the launching mechanism. Hence the black outline of a square on the drum, thats where the claws would enter and grab the next blade. This should make the animation more believable without compromising wails firing speed as their would be less overall movement for the claws, allowing faster animations without it looking funky.

I also added a laser light built into the body of the weapon for Wails secondary laser guided explosive blades.

In this picture i have removed the belt (which i assumed was used for rotation / launching of the blade somehow?) and replaced it with a curved screen showing ammo count or w.e have you. All smoothly built into the body of the gun. I also added a piston to the center rear of the gun which is used for the propulsion of the blade being ejected from the gun.

And finally...

The blade... rather then the whole blade turning, the outer ring (highlighted with yellow) and teeth of the blade could be what rotates. This allows the center of the disk to be stationary allowing the launching mechanism to latch onto it freely.

Looking at the design of the blade, i even came up with an explanation for the secondary explosive ammunition even though that posed no mechanical challenges.. The little "chambers" protruding on the center of the blade (highlighted in red) contain an explosive charge that is inert until primed by the gun with an electrical signal through its secondary firing mode being activated.

The launching mechanism maybe attaches to the blade with strong magnets or pegs that go into the blade through small holes in the blade, and contract, leaving the blade, at the end of the launching process.

Again im not an artist and none of these match up with each other, and it is lacking the fine details a real artist can give it but i feel like this design fits the more modern/futuristic-scifi feeling the games going with, and less steampunk-ish and overly mechanical.

If anyone else likes this and your a better artist then me maybe you can draw up a more detailed and correct representation of the ideas here lol

(and for some of you, i dont see a lobster anymore, how about you? lol.....)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by VINC3; 03-27-2015, 06:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wutsittou View Post
    What if you just place the ammo canister horizontal under the weapon and have the discs eject like a cd ejects from a cd drive. Then the arms in front catch it. This would be a simpler design and less bulky of an animation.

I apologize for my PIXLR drawing in advance but I hope this portrays the idea:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13483[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please, add Ripper in the official arsenal of game *-*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like YemYam's "Lobster" ripper concept, but I say get rid of the "claws" on the side and just add some sort of razor support post coming out of the center of the gun that spins the disk and retracts for reloading.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wail View Post

Updated my Ripper prototype. This was something I've been meaning to do since forever, but never got around to it... Now it's back, and hopefully we can get this thing moving again.

Features of this Ripper:
    Primary Fire: Rapid fire of bouncing razor discs
    Primary Fire (Melee Range): Fast slash / saw attack

Alternate Fire: Explosive-charged discs
    Alternate Fire + Primary Fire: Enable guidance laser. Explosive-charged discs guide to the laser.

I enjoy how this weapon brings both the Unreal Razorjack and the Unreal Tournament Ripper together into a cohesive whole. What do you guys think?
    I'd probably change the functionality so it's easier to read as a player, so....

Right click and hold Melee + Charges the proximity sticky mine [disk embeds in surface and explodes when someone passes it's proximity range]
    Right Click Release shoots the mine
    Left click shoots bouncing blades
    Right click + left click turns the mines into guidance laser explosive disks.

This combines all of the original functionality with your improved laser guidance. The thing is, at point blank, that's when it's easiest to aim for the head, you may or may not want to just go for the shot. It's nice to have direct control over your weapons, and know that they'll work exactly as you expect in all case scenarios. If I want to melee this guy, I don't want to shoot my last shot because I wasn't quite in range or he passed through the melee range and then it auto fired.

I want to be able to press a button and have it work. Press a different button and have the other thing it does work. Press those buttons together and have guidance.
    Last edited by Laokin; 03-23-2015, 03:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, I'd really like to see a comeback for that weapon, in a more balanced state though than it was in UT99.
    Getting headshots and midairs with it was so satisfying, exactly as satisfying as getting midair Spinfusor kills in Tribes. (I personally think that we should also definatelly have a kill award like the blue plate specials that tribes had)

My only issue, that I unfortunatelly cannot unsee, is that the weapon model looks like a lobster.. :P
    Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wail the new prototype looks outstanding! I know this is an odd suggestion but instead of the secondary exploding like a rocket, what if it fragmented on impact and acted like a little mini flak primary? The shards would be carried in the direction in whatever direction the blade was moving.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work YemYam, it's awesome to seeing you beeing part of the community in your free time.

The Ripper will probably not be a official standard weapon, but it would be cool to have it as official weapon replace mutator since it belongs to UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love to see this coming more and more alive. I played UT99 earlier on Deck 16 and as soon as I got the Ripper I felt at home lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love the ripper!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Yeyam!
    You know the ripper is as ctf-face is as this weapon; the most hated and loved weapon, ctf-face is exactly another polarizing content many people hates it and other many people loves it. Anyway it will happen in the future dont give up with this great weapon. By the way I liked a lot your prototype, I can see the strong UC2 influence which its not a bad thing dude!. I would love to see the ripper ingame, like many others here, even if Epic decide not to include finally and directly into the game, you could make it for marketplace (I would buy it for sure!).

Suggestions for your prototype ripper:

- that drum ammo with those circular blades I see its a bit big when is viewed at 1P, I would do a slightly little size for the ammo weapon and also his blades.
    - I see the drum disc loaded is fixed and runs it like a mechanist movement from vertical to horizontal position. Could be a better idea if you would put this part of the weapon below and fixed in some manner of those mobile arms and then push upside from below all those disc one by one like a hidraulic mechanist?. I dont know how to explain this....like a sort of little spring to level up the disc before being fired up connected from below and next to that drum. I say this because it seem too "bulky" that vertical placement of the ammo.

thanks for your contribution mate!
    Last edited by darksonny; 03-21-2015, 05:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
    If I were to assume the firing rate will be closer to what it currently is in the original game, then I think the anims you have now will have to happen so fast that they may not be able to be seen in all it's awesomeness.
    A suggestion perhaps is to have the two claws on the side be the actual rotators and the ammo drum be static. So OnFire, the claws rotate down as the currently loaded disc is fired. The claws clamp and pick up a disc from the drum and rise up just as the top disc holder is also recoiling back then they meet at the rest position to load the new disc. This basically makes the core animation 2 overall movements as opposed to the current iteration (which by my count is like 4? ^_^)
    Cheers man. Awesome stuff.

Echoing what jayoplus says here, right now I think the animation is a little too involved (at least for the primary fire if the firing rate is going to be kept the same -- which I'd prefer) and would look kind of spastic with the whole drum mechanism raising / lowering twice a second.

Current settings have primary fire rate at 0.4, and secondary fire rate at 1.2. The secondary has some breathing room for animation, but the primary really needs to be able to spit those things out quite rapidly. We can think about adjusting timings but I'd really rather not have the fire rate on the primary higher than 0.5 or else the role of that firemode gets compromised.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ripjack UT3 was always the bigbrother to the Ripper to me so the slower style load makes sense. I would split the weapons and have both a Ripjack and a Ripper with different "twist" functionality like Sniper vs Lightning Gun philosophy.

Great job on animating the Ripjack YemYam.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea, what I have seems a little clunky, even in a proto mesh/anim state. I know it was a fast fire weapon in UC2 and the Wail proto is pretty fast. If it is going to stay a more rapid fire weapon then I will need to try either of those suggestions, I think the claw grab and cd feeder are both good ideas, I will give those a try!
    Last edited by YemYam; 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    Here's a couple of animated .gifs that show the functionality better. Obviously this is super quick and dirty, no recoil, additional anims, etc. only for showing reload.

What if you just place the ammo canister horizontal under the weapon and have the discs eject like a cd ejects from a cd drive. Then the arms in front catch it. This would be a simpler design and less bulky of an animation.

I apologize for my PIXLR drawing in advance but I hope this portrays the idea:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripper_cd_eject.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	335365

Leave a comment:

Working...
X