Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
    Only problem I see is that the ripper and translocator look very much alike.
    This will be fixed once YemYam's model is in.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Or anyone else's model for that matter. I was thinking about editing the disc model to add some razor teeth to it myself, but there are enough talented 3D people out there that it's probably just a waste of time for me to do that. Regardless, it's pretty hard to mistake the Ripper blades for the translocator disc in actual play. The visual appearance and flight patterns are quite different.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
        Or anyone else's model for that matter. I was thinking about editing the disc model to add some razor teeth to it myself, but there are enough talented 3D people out there that it's probably just a waste of time for me to do that. Regardless, it's pretty hard to mistake the Ripper blades for the translocator disc in actual play. The visual appearance and flight patterns are quite different.
        Yea the current placeholder works just fine for testing purposes. I really dig the v1.4 update judging from changelog, should be quite finely balanced with those changes.

Comment

Looks great Wail. Where do I place the uasset files if I want the weapon in my level? Can't see any instructions. Thanks.
          UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
          Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
            Looks great Wail. Where do I place the uasset files if I want the weapon in my level? Can't see any instructions. Thanks.
            Ok. I had forgotten to update the Uasset zip for map authors. I've updated the original post with the latest version for map authors and also some instructions for installing it.

Basic install instructions: Unzip and place the Ripper folder in "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/"
            Let me know if that doesn't work for you. I'm not entirely sure what MoxNix had to do to get it working on his end.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Released a new version of DM-Octagon today with the new Ripper in it.

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Oc...wsNoEditor.pak

I'm not positive but I believe I had problems installing it initially because I tried to install it in a different path first... Then when I moved it to the RestrictedAssets/Weapons/ folder, it didn't work there either. I'm guessing there were conflicting broken redirectors left behind in the old path. At any rate after I used the "fix redirectors" option in Content panel on both paths it finally built and played without errors. Haven't had any problems with it since.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 05-13-2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                Released a new version of DM-Octagon today with the new Ripper in it.

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Oc...wsNoEditor.pak

I'm not positive but I believe I had problems installing it initially because I tried to install it in a different path first... Then when I moved it to the RestrictedAssets/Weapons/ folder, it didn't work there either. I'm guessing there were conflicting broken redirectors left behind in the old path. At any rate after I used the "fix redirectors" option in Content panel on both paths it finally built and played without errors. Haven't had any problems with it since.

Nice MoxNix. I've updated the original post with a link to your map and instructions for installing and playing it, since for this build that is the easiest way for people to actually play with the updated Ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  Ok. I had forgotten to update the Uasset zip for map authors. I've updated the original post with the latest version for map authors and also some instructions for installing it.

Basic install instructions: Unzip and place the Ripper folder in "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/"
                  Let me know if that doesn't work for you. I'm not entirely sure what MoxNix had to do to get it working on his end.
                  Thanks thats much clearer, and I can place it in my level now ^^. Is there an ammo pickup for it yet? Can't seem to find one. Awesome weapon btw!
                  Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
                    Thanks thats much clearer, and I can place it in my level now ^^. Is there an ammo pickup for it yet? Can't seem to find one. Awesome weapon btw!
                    The ammo pickup doesn't show up in the Modes panel but if you go to the Content Browser you can find it there. Easiest way to find it is make sure you're in RestrictedAssets base folder and search for "ripperammo".

Comment

Found it thanks MoxNix. Adding ripper to my map CTF-Defiance

Comment

Sorry to bump this but how long will it be before you recommend not using a map to test the ripper?

I.e
                        - when can i expect to be able to D/L the ripper standalone, place it in my map and have no fear of needing to re-cook if you change the ripper?

- do you give permission for others to host the file on servers?

i was going to change the geometry for DM-ArcaneTemple, but the ripper would solve all my problems as it would work perfectly with the current geometry and also help solve alot of weapon balance issues in the game.

+ The ripper is a fun weapon and it looks like you nailed it!

p.s.

i had the idea of creating a blank placeholder weapon for people to add to maps. They could turn it on and off with a mutator and swap the weapon for weapons made in the future. Not sure how navigation would be effected but is this something you would consider doing?

Ie. "BlankWeaponPickup" with configurable UI mutator mod
                        Last edited by TKBS; 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM.
                        Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
                          Sorry to bump this but how long will it be before you recommend not using a map to test the ripper?

I.e
                          - when can i expect to be able to D/L the ripper standalone, place it in my map and have no fear of needing to re-cook if you change the ripper?
                          'Final' release of the Ripper impossible to estimate without proper playtesting, and is totally contingent on other gameplay. I also need completely redone visuals for the weapon. Maybe a year down the line it will be done.

But I think the functionality in general is solid and unlikely to change unless it's for balance or specifically to improve existing functionality.

- do you give permission for others to host the file on servers?

i was going to change the geometry for DM-ArcaneTemple, but the ripper would solve all my problems as it would work perfectly with the current geometry and also help solve alot of weapon balance issues in the game.

+ The ripper is a fun weapon and it looks like you nailed it!
                          I encourage you use it in your maps, or if you're hosting a server to run a weapon replacement mutator with it.

i had the idea of creating a blank placeholder weapon for people to add to maps. They could turn it on and off with a mutator and swap the weapon for weapons made in the future. Not sure how navigation would be effected but is this something you would consider doing?

Ie. "BlankWeaponPickup" with configurable UI mutator mod
                          I don't really see the value here, so maybe you can explain a little bit more.

Comment

A WIP in the real world! :P

Last edited by cave; 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I think they need to work on the accuracy of that thing. :P

Comment

So the main reason most duelers I know in UT2k3/2k4, & UT3 were against the ripper because it's "a spam weapon" claiming the ability to headshot from around corners is too overpowered. The main argument I hear is when flak bounces off a corner, it has huge damage falloff so it's not as big of a threat, where as ripper blades bouncing off corners can continue to lay waste to players who should be "safe." Personally I love the ripper, (always have) regardless if it's a spam cannon or not, I mean I don't see a problem with it, but it is possible the primary fire needs a nerf in the form of either A. reduced rate of fire (which I am personally against) or B. less number of ricochets before the blades become inert. (I'm far more in favor of this.)

I am also not against the ripper being a Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch only weapon, though I think ultimately that choice should be in the hands of the mapper.
                                Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                                MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                                Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Working...
                                X