No announcement yet.

Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One possibility could be to have a charged mode which has the bounce, so someone has to more willfully charge, aim and fire a bank shot making it more of a skill weapon and less about spam. For the rapid fire prim just make it so they break apart on the first impact, this opens the door to be able to guide the disc off the bounce too if you come around the corner in time.
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I think the blade should disintegrate somewhat with each bounce, lowering its total damage each time. Visually that could also easily be represented with a material. This way we don't have to change the actual behavior that much in terms of speed or number of ricochets, which is to me one of the most satisfying aspects of the weapon.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        I think the blade should disintegrate somewhat with each bounce, lowering its total damage each time. Visually that could also easily be represented with a material. This way we don't have to change the actual behavior that much in terms of speed or number of ricochets, which is to me one of the most satisfying aspects of the weapon.
        This is already implemented.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
        One possibility could be to have a charged mode which has the bounce, so someone has to more willfully charge, aim and fire a bank shot making it more of a skill weapon and less about spam. For the rapid fire prim just make it so they break apart on the first impact, this opens the door to be able to guide the disc off the bounce too if you come around the corner in time.
        Yeah, you could do that. The problem is this severely limits the fun of the weapon and (at least in the original) it was already an underpowered weapon. People are going to complain about spam no matter what you do, as this has more to do with ego than balance. It doesn't make sense to me to compromise the elements of the weapon that people who like it find fun for that purpose.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
          Yeah, you could do that. The problem is this severely limits the fun of the weapon and (at least in the original) it was already an underpowered weapon. People are going to complain about spam no matter what you do, as this has more to do with ego than balance. It doesn't make sense to me to compromise the elements of the weapon that people who like it find fun for that purpose.
          Thats certainly the truth, I think people just enjoy complaining sometimes. I just think that the weapon isnt really balanced for fun either, what it offers can easily be done better by the rocket launcher and that was one of the main factors against the explosive mode is it was just a smaller weaker rocket and didnt really do much else. Obviously hitscan players will always complain if you try to level the playing field, since this is capable of headshots and knockbacks, I just feel as though the weapon needs to evolve to stay relevant much like the rest of the arsenal.

Epic is trying new things, some of them work, others havent so much but I think that it has shown is how there are gaps in the weapon list, ones that weapons like the ripper could fill. I feel as though making it closer to the bio (charge/area denial) would atleast get it some use where having it more like the rocket (lockon and splash) makes it seem less relevant, even if it is fun. I just dont see my suggestion ruining the fun, just limiting the amount of random projectiles floating around at any given moment, especially if the amount of bounces is proportional to the charge time.
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

This is already implemented.
            Oh, fancy that.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Any updates?

I'm looking forward Ripper.

Comment

Updated the link in the OP for you Skaary. This version is simply recooked for the current build. I want to take a second look later on at some material-related issues that I suspect I need to fix.

Overall update: No changes, I'm relatively happy with the current functionality where it's at right now. The weapon needs real playtesting before any further functional changes. The biggest thing I'd like to do with this bad boy is to get a unique model for it.
                Last edited by Wail; 09-21-2015, 06:39 PM.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Thanks, Wail. But I worry about - will be the Ripper by default weapon, and located with other weapons on the map by default?

Comment

Updated the link in the OP for you Skaary. This version is simply recooked for the current build. I want to take a second look later on at some material-related issues that I suspect I need to fix.

Overall update: No changes, I'm relatively happy with the current functionality where it's at right now. The weapon needs real playtesting before any further functional changes. The biggest thing I'd like to do with this bad boy is to get a unique model for it.
                    It should be getting a bit more playtesting now. I released a version of Codex with the ripper in it recently and have a couple more remakes in the works with ripper included too.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                      It should be getting a bit more playtesting now. I released a version of Codex with the ripper in it recently and have a couple more remakes in the works with ripper included too.
                      Thanks for keeping up with that Mox. I worry about putting it out there on too many maps given I know it will change, but I guess we have to do it at this phase.

Comment

I've tried to ad this to a couple maps only to find that I must be missing a step to get this to work online! .... I can see it on one of my maps and use it in game but other ppl see just the base no weapon!?

Can we get Server Instructions added to OP as well!?

Thanks

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
                          I've tried to ad this to a couple maps only to find that I must be missing a step to get this to work online! .... I can see it on one of my maps and use it in game but other ppl see just the base no weapon!?

Can we get Server Instructions added to OP as well!?

Thanks
                          Laambo can you describe a little more the steps you took? Were you manually placing the weapon in a level or attempting to use the weapon replacement mutator?

Comment

Laambo can you describe a little more the steps you took? Were you manually placing the weapon in a level or attempting to use the weapon replacement mutator?
                            first I downloaded and installed it like you posted on your OP;

Map Authors looking to utilize the Ripper:
                            UAssets (v. beta 4): Download Here.
                            Last Uasset Update was on: May 11 2015
                            Basic install instructions: Unzip and place the Ripper folder in "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/"

... then I brought in a weapons base, hit the dropdown and selected the ripper! ... I also have a Weapons Base BP I made for my Instagib riffle and made a duplicated of that BP to have for the ripper ready to go (drag n drop) for future maps/projects!

I was able to cook/share a CTF map and that's the one I'm having issues with atm! .... I tried cooking/sharing a DM map but it kept Failing after about a min. and a half or so in the share process! ...but once I took out the ripper it cooked/shared just fine?

... let me know if you need anything else!?

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
                              first I downloaded and installed it like you posted on your OP;

Map Authors looking to utilize the Ripper:
                              UAssets (v. beta 4): Download Here.
                              Last Uasset Update was on: May 11 2015
                              Basic install instructions: Unzip and place the Ripper folder in "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/"

... then I brought in a weapons base, hit the dropdown and selected the ripper! ... I also have a Weapons Base BP I made for my Instagib riffle and made a duplicated of that BP to have for the ripper ready to go (drag n drop) for future maps/projects!

I was able to cook/share a CTF map and that's the one I'm having issues with atm! .... I tried cooking/sharing a DM map but it kept Failing after about a min. and a half or so in the share process! ...but once I took out the ripper it cooked/shared just fine?

... let me know if you need anything else!?
                              That is very strange Laambo, I literally just cooked a map two days ago with the Ripper and some other modified weapons in it. There must be some additional information in the log for why the process failed, if you don't mind could you try that again and let me know what the message you received was?

Comment

That is very strange Laambo, I literally just cooked a map two days ago with the Ripper and some other modified weapons in it. There must be some additional information in the log for why the process failed, if you don't mind could you try that again and let me know what the message you received was?
                                ... will do!

Comment

Working...
                                X