No announcement yet.

Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you hit a secondary disc with a primary? the speed difference between the two has to be really big in that case..

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain that well. Simply pressing primary fire while waiting for secondary fire allows you to detonate the alternate fire. Lorewise I see this as the secondary projectile having a radio receiver on it that can be triggered remotely from the weapon. You don't need to hit the secondary projectile with a primary projectile.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

That kind of idea might be better to require you to hold down the alt fire while pressing primary so it is closer to something like the rocket mode switch. It feels unintuitive to have pressing primary standalone sometimes do a different function.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
          That kind of idea might be better to require you to hold down the alt fire while pressing primary so it is closer to something like the rocket mode switch. It feels unintuitive to have pressing primary standalone sometimes do a different function.
          That's how it's implemented currently :]
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I always thought that the Ripper's secondary fire could have multiple uses. Holding the alternate fire causes the blade to spin up. While the Ripper is in its secondary fire, anyone in front of the Ripper takes constant damage in melee range. Pressing the primary fire while the secondary fire does the UT99 style alternate fire, with an explosive disc which shatters upon impact, sending disc fragments everywhere like the Flak Cannon's alternate fire.
            Last edited by Captain Crit; 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo which would have changed the alt fire
            Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
            Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
            Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
            --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
              I always thought that the Ripper's secondary fire could have multiple uses. Holding the alternate fire causes the blade to spin up. While the Ripper is in its secondary fire, anyone in front of the Ripper takes constant damage in melee range. Pressing the primary fire while the secondary fire does the UT99 style alternate fire, with an explosive disc which shatters upon impact, sending disc fragments everywhere like the Flak Cannon's alternate fire.
              In this implementation, secondary fire currently does send out shrapnel fragments. Although I want the distribution pattern to be different to give it more unique utility.
              I like the idea of being able to use the Ripper in a melee attack as well. Next thing to do for me is incorporating the ability to do a melee attack when another player is in range. Probably triggered through a primary fire hold + alt button press.

Comment

Thinking about this weapon: Perhaps bring back the limited guidance option from the old razorjack? Have primary fire still be the same shoot-bounce option, and keep it how you have it so it loses damage and possibly momentum on each bounce with full health headshot potential only happening early on. Oh, maybe tie damage to projectile speed and let it actually be somewhat affected by gravity? Could be a pain to balance that well, but that could open up more long range potential while still making it less effective than a direct fire weapon. Think if the blades were actually small helicopter drones, they get kicked out of the weapon with a certain speed and the propulsion blades let them stay airborne and manuver a little, the damaging blade is a the exterior sharpened rotor duct.

For alt fire have the weapon kick out several blades, or just keep kicking them out till some max is reached so long as the alt fire is held down. The blades orbit the shooter and can impact other players if they get too close. When alt fire is released, the blades all fly toward where the aim point is, and attempt to follow it as it moves till they hit something, breaking up on first or second impact (not exploding, or exploding only with a very small radius), and not being able to cause headshots, but still doing normal damage per hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
                  Thinking about this weapon: Perhaps bring back the limited guidance option from the old razorjack? Have primary fire still be the same shoot-bounce option, and keep it how you have it so it loses damage and possibly momentum on each bounce with full health headshot potential only happening early on. Oh, maybe tie damage to projectile speed and let it actually be somewhat affected by gravity? Could be a pain to balance that well, but that could open up more long range potential while still making it less effective than a direct fire weapon. Think if the blades were actually small helicopter drones, they get kicked out of the weapon with a certain speed and the propulsion blades let them stay airborne and manuver a little, the damaging blade is a the exterior sharpened rotor duct.

For alt fire have the weapon kick out several blades, or just keep kicking them out till some max is reached so long as the alt fire is held down. The blades orbit the shooter and can impact other players if they get too close. When alt fire is released, the blades all fly toward where the aim point is, and attempt to follow it as it moves till they hit something, breaking up on first or second impact (not exploding, or exploding only with a very small radius), and not being able to cause headshots, but still doing normal damage per hit.
                  The limited guidance projectiles are an option I've been considering but for the time being I'm avoiding that (both for technical reasons, and because I feel like that sort of mechanism is better suited for a singleplayer game than the UT format). I'd be happy to see more implementations off my code base so if you want to give implementing it a shot feel free. The other customization options you mention are already present.

Later tonight I'll be looking at updating my fork to a more recent upstream version and seeing if I can move everything over to its own branch (as it seems this is how others are working).
                  Last edited by Wail; 07-10-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Been toying around with this a little bit more this week. I've been trying to figure out a good implementation to add a Ripper melee attack -- My initial idea of having a melee attack triggered by Primary + Alt was not all that great since for responsiveness reasons you want the weapon to fire as soon as you hit the primary trigger, and the current firing rate on the primary fire is fast enough that doing a Primary + Alt combination is a little too frantic. Instead of requiring the multipress combo, the Ripper melee attack now occurs immediately on Primary fire when within a certain range, substituting the projectile fire if you're close enough to a valid target.

Right now the melee attack deals higher damage than the projectile fire, and uses the same firing rate. So there's no real downside to this, it just adds a little bit of adjacent-range power. I'm inclined towards wanting a marginally longer cooldown on a melee attack, but at the same time I don't want doing one to screw up someone's firing / attacking tempo, so I'm hesistant to do that. Still considering.

I'm trying to think of situations in which this automatic melee-attack would be disadvantageous / unwanted. The one downside I see at the moment is that in certain circumstances you might be going for a close-range headshot with the Ripper, and instead it performs a melee attack. This issue can be resolved pretty easily by adding headshot detection functionality to the melee attack (ala UT99 chainsaw), which I want to do anyway.

Comment

This makes me very happy. What a fun/unique weapon.

Comment

Thanks Southern. I did some tweaking of this weapon for Raxxy last week in the hopes he'd be able to get it going for playtesting on his server(s). Hopefully sometime in the next few days I'll be able to sit down and finalize some of my changes and then make a new video to demonstrate the current feature set of the weapon.

Comment

I'm not entirely understanding of the development process here, will we be able to test it and give feedback in the "public (hidden)" build that gets uploaded?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernRex View Post
                            I'm not entirely understanding of the development process here, will we be able to test it and give feedback in the "public (hidden)" build that gets uploaded?
                            At the moment none of this code is included in any official Epic build, so the only way to access it is through my GitHub. Link here.

It's been awhile since I updated that GitHub branch, so I'm not sure exactly the state that version is in. Ideally I'd like to get the weapon in use on some servers to encourage some real feedback on it in gameplay. I will update the branch when I get the opportunity to play with it a bit more.

Comment

To be clear, we haven't officially said either yes or no, only that we want to start off getting all the weapons that were in UT3 to be in a good state before deciding if we want to expand the standard arsenal. Certainly if you have the opportunity to playtest this or any other Ripper idea and feel that it really fits and addresses the original weapon's problems, you should make sure to post about it so when we get to that point we can be aware of the community's opinion.

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                              It's been awhile since I updated that GitHub branch, so I'm not sure exactly the state that version is in. Ideally I'd like to get the weapon in use on some servers to encourage some real feedback on it in gameplay. I will update the branch when I get the opportunity to play with it a bit more.
                              Right now you'll also have to get it on the clients or they'll get blown up by invisible stuff from people who have it

Aside from that, please let us know of any issues you have getting it into some games - we (and the engine for that matter) are just beginning to get mods/plugins/etc to really work.
                              Last edited by Mysterial; 08-20-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

To Wail:

I would love to have this working. Are you keeping the idea that you were talking about in your post last month, with bouncing disks eventually losing headshot detection and dealing less damage? I actually think that's a really good idea, I think it'd work really well in this game. Honestly, nothing would make me happier than to see the Ripper come back, it was hands-down my favorite weapon in UT99.

Comment

Working...
                                X