No announcement yet.

Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still pretty against giving the ability to stun a player but I suppose it's an option. If we're going down the stun road, the blades should have an electric charge and sticking it in them results in a taser shock. Not to overlap with the lightning gun, the taser blade would create a current wrapping around their body for a short period of time either slowing them or giving them a slight jerking pause to their motion as they fight the current going through their body.

The problem with this however is the problem with ALL movement impairing modes. Once you fire and slow them down, you can do it again and again essentially getting free hits. There's little reason to switch to primary to cut someones head off while you can spam stun-blades on them until they die unless you're in a bigger hurry.
    Last edited by FirebornForm; 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

What about giving the ripper a "charge" type of primary attack?
      When you LC quickly it just launches a blade at moderate speed, it will lose height and doesnt bounce very far.
      But when you hold LC you see the blade being pulled back (like a slingshot) until when its maxed out (and automatically launches) flies at blazing speed, higher damage and more bounces?
      That way you can either spam blades without much range/bounces or fire of a satisfying long range powerfull blade.

A way to maybe prevent infinite bounces is to have the blade turn into shortrange blade shrapnel after it reached it's final allowed bounce.
      For the concept model that is now in place, i'm really missing the giant sawblade teeth on there though...

Comment

Originally posted by MissStabby View Post
        What about giving the ripper a "charge" type of primary attack?
        When you LC quickly it just launches a blade at moderate speed, it will lose height and doesnt bounce very far.
        But when you hold LC you see the blade being pulled back (like a slingshot) until when its maxed out (and automatically launches) flies at blazing speed, higher damage and more bounces?
        That way you can either spam blades without much range/bounces or fire of a satisfying long range powerfull blade.

A way to maybe prevent infinite bounces is to have the blade turn into shortrange blade shrapnel after it reached it's final allowed bounce.
        For the concept model that is now in place, i'm really missing the giant sawblade teeth on there though...
        It's a possibility sure. I don't want to lose the option to easily fill a room with bouncing razor blades though, so that sounds like more a secondary thing. I'm more worried about the bouncing blades being ineffective than being too effective -- The basic parameters right now I think are in a good place but it really needs actual playtesting. As map visuals come online that will also impact things -- Too much added geometry will make things unpredictable.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Have an idea for secondary fire: Primary attack launches blades to a single point; why not make secondary fire launch 2 blades that has steel wire between them and damages enemies along the way? Or attaches to the first victim and cuts it more? It should have shorter range, limited width and not bounce. The killshot from the secondary fire can make the player model split in two (like a fatality) too. (:
          Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Not a bad idea Tycerax. I have a lot of other ideas to mess around with but maybe I will be able to play with that one. I'm hoping I have enough time this week to try some new Ripper ideas and make a new video now that I've worked out how to use recording software better.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Personally I don't think stunning or slowing is a good option. I think the ripper in UT99 was in a reasonably good place. The secondary fire was, well, secondary to the RL. However it had a higher ROF than the RL and a nice little knockback, allowing you to easier hit the next shot. The damage was quite low though.

I like the ideas in this topic, but some of them are, imo, just a bit too complicated.

Comment

How about chainsaw as a secondary fire?

Comment

Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
                  How about chainsaw as a secondary fire?
                  Imo it would be weird, as ripper is a (long) ranged weapon. Would be weird to give it a melee range attack. Though you could have fun with a chainsaw

Comment

this ripper looks like an translator, and have no blades , in my opinion, kick it away ..
                    p.s. i was only squarely..

best regards
                    Blacky

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcrack View Post
                      this ripper looks like an translator, and have no blades , in my opinion, kick it away ..
                      p.s. i was only squarely..
                      *Eye roll*
                      It IS using the translocator from UT3 as a placeholder. This post was a waste, before inserting your opinion about how it looks why don't you look at how all weapons are placeholders, especially for the new or returning guns. Who cares how it looks, this is about the weapon functions as a prototype.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                        *Eye roll*
                        It IS using the translocator from UT3 as a placeholder. This post was a waste, before inserting your opinion about how it looks why don't you look at how all weapons are placeholders, especially for the new or returning guns. Who cares how it looks, this is about the weapon functions as a prototype.
                        He clearly didn't know it was the UT3 translocator. He thought someone spent a good deal of time modeling a nice model that looks nothing like a ripper, and he was just stating that. Your post was a waste of time because you went out of your way to undermine him in a pretty mean way, for literally no reason. He did nothing wrong to deserve a response like that.

Comment

Every single gun in UT4 is a placeholder from UT3. I have yet to see a single new gun model being shown off in a prototype. Pretty obvious that it wasn't a Ripper model.

Comment

It's ok, he's making a point that I don't think anyone disagrees with. Would I like a real Ripper model? Sure. Can I do anything about the model it has now? Not really, since I am not good at modeling.

Lets try to avoid taking things off topic in this thread. Not actively working on this right now but I will try to return to the Ripper shortly with some new videos showing off new functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                              Would I like a real Ripper model? Sure. Can I do anything about the model it has now? Not really, since I am not good at modeling.

I do have this just laying around, just sayin
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

That looks like the ripjack from Unreal Championship 2.

That design could be a starting point but I think that piece on the side should be moved as it obstructs the razor disc. I feel that the razor disc should be the main focus to make the gun look especially dangerous. You know like when you pick up a weapon for the first time and say, ooo that looks nasty. Also this would have to be decided yet, but any design of the ripper should keep in mind the idea of rotating the disc to be fired vertically.

Comment

Working...
                                X