Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wail View Post
    This is already implemented.
    Oh, fancy that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, you could do that. The problem is this severely limits the fun of the weapon and (at least in the original) it was already an underpowered weapon. People are going to complain about spam no matter what you do, as this has more to do with ego than balance. It doesn't make sense to me to compromise the elements of the weapon that people who like it find fun for that purpose.
    Thats certainly the truth, I think people just enjoy complaining sometimes. I just think that the weapon isnt really balanced for fun either, what it offers can easily be done better by the rocket launcher and that was one of the main factors against the explosive mode is it was just a smaller weaker rocket and didnt really do much else. Obviously hitscan players will always complain if you try to level the playing field, since this is capable of headshots and knockbacks, I just feel as though the weapon needs to evolve to stay relevant much like the rest of the arsenal.

Epic is trying new things, some of them work, others havent so much but I think that it has shown is how there are gaps in the weapon list, ones that weapons like the ripper could fill. I feel as though making it closer to the bio (charge/area denial) would atleast get it some use where having it more like the rocket (lockon and splash) makes it seem less relevant, even if it is fun. I just dont see my suggestion ruining the fun, just limiting the amount of random projectiles floating around at any given moment, especially if the amount of bounces is proportional to the charge time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    I think the blade should disintegrate somewhat with each bounce, lowering its total damage each time. Visually that could also easily be represented with a material. This way we don't have to change the actual behavior that much in terms of speed or number of ricochets, which is to me one of the most satisfying aspects of the weapon.
    This is already implemented.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    One possibility could be to have a charged mode which has the bounce, so someone has to more willfully charge, aim and fire a bank shot making it more of a skill weapon and less about spam. For the rapid fire prim just make it so they break apart on the first impact, this opens the door to be able to guide the disc off the bounce too if you come around the corner in time.
    Yeah, you could do that. The problem is this severely limits the fun of the weapon and (at least in the original) it was already an underpowered weapon. People are going to complain about spam no matter what you do, as this has more to do with ego than balance. It doesn't make sense to me to compromise the elements of the weapon that people who like it find fun for that purpose.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the blade should disintegrate somewhat with each bounce, lowering its total damage each time. Visually that could also easily be represented with a material. This way we don't have to change the actual behavior that much in terms of speed or number of ricochets, which is to me one of the most satisfying aspects of the weapon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One possibility could be to have a charged mode which has the bounce, so someone has to more willfully charge, aim and fire a bank shot making it more of a skill weapon and less about spam. For the rapid fire prim just make it so they break apart on the first impact, this opens the door to be able to guide the disc off the bounce too if you come around the corner in time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So the main reason most duelers I know in UT2k3/2k4, & UT3 were against the ripper because it's "a spam weapon" claiming the ability to headshot from around corners is too overpowered. The main argument I hear is when flak bounces off a corner, it has huge damage falloff so it's not as big of a threat, where as ripper blades bouncing off corners can continue to lay waste to players who should be "safe." Personally I love the ripper, (always have) regardless if it's a spam cannon or not, I mean I don't see a problem with it, but it is possible the primary fire needs a nerf in the form of either A. reduced rate of fire (which I am personally against) or B. less number of ricochets before the blades become inert. (I'm far more in favor of this.)

I am also not against the ripper being a Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch only weapon, though I think ultimately that choice should be in the hands of the mapper.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think they need to work on the accuracy of that thing. :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A WIP in the real world! :P

Last edited by cave; 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TKBS View Post
    Sorry to bump this but how long will it be before you recommend not using a map to test the ripper?

I.e
    - when can i expect to be able to D/L the ripper standalone, place it in my map and have no fear of needing to re-cook if you change the ripper?
    'Final' release of the Ripper impossible to estimate without proper playtesting, and is totally contingent on other gameplay. I also need completely redone visuals for the weapon. Maybe a year down the line it will be done.

But I think the functionality in general is solid and unlikely to change unless it's for balance or specifically to improve existing functionality.

- do you give permission for others to host the file on servers?

i was going to change the geometry for DM-ArcaneTemple, but the ripper would solve all my problems as it would work perfectly with the current geometry and also help solve alot of weapon balance issues in the game.

+ The ripper is a fun weapon and it looks like you nailed it!
    I encourage you use it in your maps, or if you're hosting a server to run a weapon replacement mutator with it.

i had the idea of creating a blank placeholder weapon for people to add to maps. They could turn it on and off with a mutator and swap the weapon for weapons made in the future. Not sure how navigation would be effected but is this something you would consider doing?

Ie. "BlankWeaponPickup" with configurable UI mutator mod
    I don't really see the value here, so maybe you can explain a little bit more.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry to bump this but how long will it be before you recommend not using a map to test the ripper?

I.e
    - when can i expect to be able to D/L the ripper standalone, place it in my map and have no fear of needing to re-cook if you change the ripper?

- do you give permission for others to host the file on servers?

i was going to change the geometry for DM-ArcaneTemple, but the ripper would solve all my problems as it would work perfectly with the current geometry and also help solve alot of weapon balance issues in the game.

+ The ripper is a fun weapon and it looks like you nailed it!

p.s.

i had the idea of creating a blank placeholder weapon for people to add to maps. They could turn it on and off with a mutator and swap the weapon for weapons made in the future. Not sure how navigation would be effected but is this something you would consider doing?

Ie. "BlankWeaponPickup" with configurable UI mutator mod
    Last edited by TKBS; 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Found it thanks MoxNix. Adding ripper to my map CTF-Defiance

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
    Thanks thats much clearer, and I can place it in my level now ^^. Is there an ammo pickup for it yet? Can't seem to find one. Awesome weapon btw!
    The ammo pickup doesn't show up in the Modes panel but if you go to the Content Browser you can find it there. Easiest way to find it is make sure you're in RestrictedAssets base folder and search for "ripperammo".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok. I had forgotten to update the Uasset zip for map authors. I've updated the original post with the latest version for map authors and also some instructions for installing it.

Basic install instructions: Unzip and place the Ripper folder in "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/"
    Let me know if that doesn't work for you. I'm not entirely sure what MoxNix had to do to get it working on his end.
    Thanks thats much clearer, and I can place it in my level now ^^. Is there an ammo pickup for it yet? Can't seem to find one. Awesome weapon btw!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
    Released a new version of DM-Octagon today with the new Ripper in it.

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Oc...wsNoEditor.pak

I'm not positive but I believe I had problems installing it initially because I tried to install it in a different path first... Then when I moved it to the RestrictedAssets/Weapons/ folder, it didn't work there either. I'm guessing there were conflicting broken redirectors left behind in the old path. At any rate after I used the "fix redirectors" option in Content panel on both paths it finally built and played without errors. Haven't had any problems with it since.

Nice MoxNix. I've updated the original post with a link to your map and instructions for installing and playing it, since for this build that is the easiest way for people to actually play with the updated Ripper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X