X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RIPPER!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Gladiator View Post
      That looks like the ripjack from Unreal Championship 2.
      It is and I was just throwing this up here incase wail wanted a temporary mesh that wasnt a translocator. I dont even think this has UVWs but that doesnt really matter at this stage, especially since this will get replaced by something better
      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I was just going to say how the UT3 xloc looks surprisingly good as a ripper placeholder, but then I saw MonsOlympus' screenshot

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
          I do have this just laying around, just sayin
          Personally, I'd rather the model be more similar to the UT99 Ripper, maybe cleaner... I'll work on it tomorrow if someone can show me the crash course to making a static mesh XD

My Gaming Setup;
          i7-4770K @3.5Ghz (original clock speed) 12gig RAM. nVidea GTX 760 (192-Bit) - Windows 10 64 Bit
          Razor DeathAdder Chroma(Mouse), Razor Vespula (Mousepad), Razor Kraken Pro (headset), Acer 19.5' Monitor, LG 120 Hrz 4K 49' TV
          Total Build Cost; $3,610 CDN, w/ 5 year extended warranty on all parts.

Comment

On that note, downloading Autodesk 3DS 2014 right now...

My Gaming Setup;
            i7-4770K @3.5Ghz (original clock speed) 12gig RAM. nVidea GTX 760 (192-Bit) - Windows 10 64 Bit
            Razor DeathAdder Chroma(Mouse), Razor Vespula (Mousepad), Razor Kraken Pro (headset), Acer 19.5' Monitor, LG 120 Hrz 4K 49' TV

Comment

Personally, I think ripper should be pretty much identical to UT99, except have the blade literally floating, idk how to make the automation flow better though, because the new rounds do kind of just appear from now where, *shrug*

I just, really love the look and feel of the old ripper, a higher definition of it, idk, I think it' would look sweet, what's everyones thoughts?
              Attached Files

My Gaming Setup;

Comment

The original Ripper was pretty neat. I wouldn't mind an update to that design. The thing the UT99 Ripper doesn't have that I would like to have in a Ripper model is to have some kind of dangerous sawblade mechanism that plausibly can be used in close combat. This melee-attack functionality is already built in to the Ripper I made on the code end, so I think art-wise I'd like to have something that can communicate that.

Having an updated Ripjack (Unreal-style) would work excellently here, and I'm thrilled seeing Gooba's work on the logo. I think a weapon based on this design would make for a perfectly deadly looking Ripper:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                  I believe the Razorjack is what you're talking about but it's kind of the same shape as Gooba's logo already is so repeating it would probably fit the tidal blast Unreal remake better than trying to revamp it for UT.

The Ripper was human technology imitating the Razorjack (Skarrj technology). Everything in UT has always been human technology so it would be off-theme design suddenly tossing an alien weapon in like the Razorjack from Unreal 1 or the Drakk Laser Rifle from Unreal 2. If the mold is broken and we have more than human technology (maybe some necris weapon as well?) then by all means the Skaarj razorjack would work but otherwise it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of art direction.

Comment

Way to be completely pedantic and yet simultaneously miss the point while remaining totally content-free.
                    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I know we are considering Ripper stuff internally but nothing has been decided and either way it's further down the road so no visual concepting and r&d is being done.

However, waaaaaaaay back in the day when I first started at Scion working on UC2 (before we merged with Epic) I modeled a hi poly version of the Ripjack. I don't have a low poly, unwrap, & process yet because we ended up going with UE2.x and Xbox exclusive (no normal mapping) but I could probably knock that out pretty quick.

This would not be an "Epic Official" weapon and more importantly I couldn't get bogged down in a ton of visual changes - my official plate is very full so I would be doing this in my free time. If people are willing to take it as-is and have the UC2 Ripjack visually I think it would pair nicely with your tests.

I figured as long as I have it laying around why not? What do you think?

Here are all of the unused hi poly models I did for UC2. Keep in mind these were all modeled over 10 years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam...7605739328119/

The current state of the Ripjack:

Attached Files
                      Last edited by YemYam; 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM.
                      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

MonsOlympus, did you model that or is that the source from UC2? Also, if somebody in the community wants to model a new one I totally understand and think that would be awesome. I'm just offering this up as a quick fix.
                        Last edited by YemYam; 03-13-2015, 11:38 AM.
                        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          I know we are considering Ripper stuff internally but nothing has been decided and either way it's further down the road so no visual concepting and r&d is being done.

However, waaaaaaaay back in the day when I first started at Scion working on UC2 (before we merged with Epic) I modeled a hi poly version of the Ripjack. I don't have a low poly, unwrap, & process yet because we ended up going with UE2.x and Xbox exclusive (no normal mapping) but I could probably knock that out pretty quick.

This would not be an "Epic Official" weapon and more importantly I couldn't get bogged down in a ton of visual changes - my official plate is very full so I would be doing this in my free time. If people are willing to take it as-is and have the UC2 Ripjack visually I think it would pair nicely with your tests.

I figured as long as I have it laying around why not? What do you think?

Here are all of the unused hi poly models I did for UC2. Keep in mind these were all modeled over 10 years ago.

[shot="https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/sets/72157605739328119/"]https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/sets/72157605739328119/[/shot]
                          YES.

Absolutely on board if we can bring this up to a higher level of visual quality. Especially now that we have CTF as a gametype - funny to think this was created before CTF even - differentiating it from the Translocator has some more importance.

I am going to try and give this weapon some attention tonight & this weekend. I've been wanting to try some ideas out with the weapon for awhile so the prospect of moving forward on the visuals will bring this up in priority.
                          For me there's still question marks about how this is all going to work since the weapon is implemented in C++, but that's also why I'd like to try and move forward with figuring things out. I'd love to eventually get this in the marketplace as a download for mappers to utilize.

Comment

Its really nice thx do it hope they add this to the game

Comment

Originally posted by Primius View Post
                              To reduce the frustration of the head shotted player, maybe a restriction on angle is useful: head shots would only count if the projectile came from direction the player is looking. That way the player always sees the projectile thats head shotting him. A less strict rule would be to only allow head shots on shallow angles, so head shots from the side or behind (but not from top or bottom) would still count.
                              As I understand your suggestion, the players have to face each other for the ripper-user to get a headshot? I like this idea. Sort of reminds me of Medusa's ultimate ability from Dota, which forces players to face away from her. In general I like the abilities in Dota that force a certain reaction from players and it's interesting to think how similar concepts might work in an fps.
                              Last edited by Quotidian; 03-14-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Ripjack model looks really good YemYam and definitely works better as a concept that Wail wants to introduce the chainsaw mechanic which I don't think is otherwise suited for the small Ripper blades.

Primius's suggestion is interesting but this needs additional player messaging to get the concept right. Just looking at the blade isn't going to really be understandable when it headshots this way but not when you're looking away. I'd suggest adding a visual FX to it when you're looking at the blade. Like if the blade disk glows a little red around the edges super heating to cut through someone's neck like butta but when you look away the blade is just normal looking. The heated blade would probably be visible to both user and victim.

Comment

Working...
                                X