Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    The model is over 10 years old so it definitely needs a bit of clean up. I will also make tweaks for functionality. The only thing I don't have time for is redesigning the whole weapon since this one is off the clock. I dug up the source yesterday and will start polishing it in my evenings!
    This may sound crazy but more spikes on it, would be awesome, -- But I do intend on trying to model this, it's just, I have yet to install my mesh program, and this would be my first time doing it...

You're my hero tho for posting this

My Gaming Setup;
    i7-4770K @3.5Ghz (original clock speed) 12gig RAM. nVidea GTX 760 (192-Bit) - Windows 10 64 Bit
    Razor DeathAdder Chroma(Mouse), Razor Vespula (Mousepad), Razor Kraken Pro (headset), Acer 19.5' Monitor, LG 120 Hrz 4K 49' TV
    Total Build Cost; $3,610 CDN, w/ 5 year extended warranty on all parts.

Comment

I've been able to start the clean up process on this. The biggest thing that bugged me about the UC2 version was the saw blade size was different than the saw ammo size. Also, while the ammo location hinted at functionality it never worked as it was mechanically impossible. Having the blades magically "res-in" seemed odd for a primal weapon. Given that the Ripjack is all about mechanical function I wanted to fix this. I moved some stuff around and added some more articulation to allow proper reload functionality. Here's where it's at.

Remember this isn't an official weapon, it's just me helping out in my free time!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by YemYam; 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM.
      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

And from the first person view. The other thing I tweaked was to make it a bit shorter, it looks better proportionally to me and implies further that it is a one handed weapon. Since I made the ammo and the firing blade the same size the blade doesn't look quite as menacing, but I think the trade off is worth it. If you make the firing blade bigger then I think the ammo container gets too huge and looks goofy so I decided on a happy medium so we could have realistic reload.

The nice thing about doing it this way is the reload timing, animation, fx, etc. will really tie into the firing modes. So maybe for primary it just fires then slaps another disk on and immediately retracts. For secondary maybe it stays up while the blade is spinning up, with sparks flying around then as soon as you fire it goes back down. Just an idea. I like to put in as much realistic articulation as possible so animation, fx, gameplay, etc. has as much flexibility and freedom as possible to come up with cool ideas and has fun collaborating.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by YemYam; 03-20-2015, 02:56 PM.
        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Here's a couple of animated .gifs that show the functionality better. Obviously this is super quick and dirty, no recoil, additional anims, etc. only for showing reload.

Attached Files
          Last edited by YemYam; 03-20-2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Hey Pete,
            Nice work on these man. Actually glad to see this coming to life ^_^.
            Now I know the ripper isn't even confirmed yet and who knows what the firing rate and mechanism will be like. If I were to assume the firing rate will be closer to what it currently is in the original game, then I think the anims you have now will have to happen so fast that they may not be able to be seen in all it's awesomeness.
            A suggestion perhaps is to have the two claws on the side be the actual rotators and the ammo drum be static. So OnFire, the claws rotate down as the currently loaded disc is fired. The claws clamp and pick up a disc from the drum and rise up just as the top disc holder is also recoiling back then they meet at the rest position to load the new disc. This basically makes the core animation 2 overall movements as opposed to the current iteration (which by my count is like 4? ^_^)
            Cheers man. Awesome stuff.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

I was reading through this and after being happy to see Wail creating an awesome prototype, even better that Pete comes in with the model I always thought looked so perfect for a new ripper!

And then Pete fixes the disk size and no reloading animation that was bugging me as I read through the thread. Its awesome your doing this in your spare time, but I have to make one tiny suggestion as to me the whole magazine of disks moving up every shot would be a hell of a kickback for anyone firing the weapon. It might look better to keep the magazine fixed, and add in a smaller, thinner pair of the 'claws' that bring a new disk up each time. The smaller claws could stretch about half the way round the disks circumference, and being thinner/lighter, wouldn't look out of place lifting disks up from the magazine at the ROF the gun will operate at.

Great work anyhow!
              UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
              Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                Here's a couple of animated .gifs that show the functionality better. Obviously this is super quick and dirty, no recoil, additional anims, etc. only for showing reload.

What if you just place the ammo canister horizontal under the weapon and have the discs eject like a cd ejects from a cd drive. Then the arms in front catch it. This would be a simpler design and less bulky of an animation.

I apologize for my PIXLR drawing in advance but I hope this portrays the idea:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripper_cd_eject.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	335365
                a.k.a Gunner77

Comment

Yea, what I have seems a little clunky, even in a proto mesh/anim state. I know it was a fast fire weapon in UC2 and the Wail proto is pretty fast. If it is going to stay a more rapid fire weapon then I will need to try either of those suggestions, I think the claw grab and cd feeder are both good ideas, I will give those a try!
                  Last edited by YemYam; 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Ripjack UT3 was always the bigbrother to the Ripper to me so the slower style load makes sense. I would split the weapons and have both a Ripjack and a Ripper with different "twist" functionality like Sniper vs Lightning Gun philosophy.

Great job on animating the Ripjack YemYam.

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                      If I were to assume the firing rate will be closer to what it currently is in the original game, then I think the anims you have now will have to happen so fast that they may not be able to be seen in all it's awesomeness.
                      A suggestion perhaps is to have the two claws on the side be the actual rotators and the ammo drum be static. So OnFire, the claws rotate down as the currently loaded disc is fired. The claws clamp and pick up a disc from the drum and rise up just as the top disc holder is also recoiling back then they meet at the rest position to load the new disc. This basically makes the core animation 2 overall movements as opposed to the current iteration (which by my count is like 4? ^_^)
                      Cheers man. Awesome stuff.

Echoing what jayoplus says here, right now I think the animation is a little too involved (at least for the primary fire if the firing rate is going to be kept the same -- which I'd prefer) and would look kind of spastic with the whole drum mechanism raising / lowering twice a second.

Current settings have primary fire rate at 0.4, and secondary fire rate at 1.2. The secondary has some breathing room for animation, but the primary really needs to be able to spit those things out quite rapidly. We can think about adjusting timings but I'd really rather not have the fire rate on the primary higher than 0.5 or else the role of that firemode gets compromised.
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Hey Yeyam!
                        You know the ripper is as ctf-face is as this weapon; the most hated and loved weapon, ctf-face is exactly another polarizing content many people hates it and other many people loves it. Anyway it will happen in the future dont give up with this great weapon. By the way I liked a lot your prototype, I can see the strong UC2 influence which its not a bad thing dude!. I would love to see the ripper ingame, like many others here, even if Epic decide not to include finally and directly into the game, you could make it for marketplace (I would buy it for sure!).

Suggestions for your prototype ripper:

- that drum ammo with those circular blades I see its a bit big when is viewed at 1P, I would do a slightly little size for the ammo weapon and also his blades.
                        - I see the drum disc loaded is fixed and runs it like a mechanist movement from vertical to horizontal position. Could be a better idea if you would put this part of the weapon below and fixed in some manner of those mobile arms and then push upside from below all those disc one by one like a hidraulic mechanist?. I dont know how to explain this....like a sort of little spring to level up the disc before being fired up connected from below and next to that drum. I say this because it seem too "bulky" that vertical placement of the ammo.

thanks for your contribution mate!
                        Last edited by darksonny; 03-21-2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Love the ripper!!!!

Comment

Love to see this coming more and more alive. I played UT99 earlier on Deck 16 and as soon as I got the Ripper I felt at home lol

Comment

Great work YemYam, it's awesome to seeing you beeing part of the community in your free time.

The Ripper will probably not be a official standard weapon, but it would be cool to have it as official weapon replace mutator since it belongs to UT.

Comment

Wail the new prototype looks outstanding! I know this is an odd suggestion but instead of the secondary exploding like a rocket, what if it fragmented on impact and acted like a little mini flak primary? The shards would be carried in the direction in whatever direction the blade was moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X