No announcement yet.

Ripper WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I'd really like to see a comeback for that weapon, in a more balanced state though than it was in UT99.
    Getting headshots and midairs with it was so satisfying, exactly as satisfying as getting midair Spinfusor kills in Tribes. (I personally think that we should also definatelly have a kill award like the blue plate specials that tribes had)

My only issue, that I unfortunatelly cannot unsee, is that the weapon model looks like a lobster.. :P
    Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM.
    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post

Updated my Ripper prototype. This was something I've been meaning to do since forever, but never got around to it... Now it's back, and hopefully we can get this thing moving again.

Features of this Ripper:
      Primary Fire: Rapid fire of bouncing razor discs
      Primary Fire (Melee Range): Fast slash / saw attack

Alternate Fire: Explosive-charged discs
      Alternate Fire + Primary Fire: Enable guidance laser. Explosive-charged discs guide to the laser.

I enjoy how this weapon brings both the Unreal Razorjack and the Unreal Tournament Ripper together into a cohesive whole. What do you guys think?
      I'd probably change the functionality so it's easier to read as a player, so....

Right click and hold Melee + Charges the proximity sticky mine [disk embeds in surface and explodes when someone passes it's proximity range]
      Right Click Release shoots the mine
      Left click shoots bouncing blades
      Right click + left click turns the mines into guidance laser explosive disks.

This combines all of the original functionality with your improved laser guidance. The thing is, at point blank, that's when it's easiest to aim for the head, you may or may not want to just go for the shot. It's nice to have direct control over your weapons, and know that they'll work exactly as you expect in all case scenarios. If I want to melee this guy, I don't want to shoot my last shot because I wasn't quite in range or he passed through the melee range and then it auto fired.

I want to be able to press a button and have it work. Press a different button and have the other thing it does work. Press those buttons together and have guidance.
      Last edited by Laokin; 03-23-2015, 03:07 AM.

Comment

I like YemYam's "Lobster" ripper concept, but I say get rid of the "claws" on the side and just add some sort of razor support post coming out of the center of the gun that spins the disk and retracts for reloading.
        UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Please, add Ripper in the official arsenal of game *-*
          .:KmK:.Raizen

Please, watch this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdce_3wgcs
          CTF-Extorcion-CE (Visual Beta) https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...cion_CE-Remake (Pak available)
          CTF-Ranel WIP https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...F-Ranel-Remake

Comment

Originally posted by Wutsittou View Post
            What if you just place the ammo canister horizontal under the weapon and have the discs eject like a cd ejects from a cd drive. Then the arms in front catch it. This would be a simpler design and less bulky of an animation.

I apologize for my PIXLR drawing in advance but I hope this portrays the idea:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13483[/ATTACH]
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I drew up these crappy concepts in paint with a mouse, and im not the best artist but i think it gives the general shapes of the concept.
              (im not good with lines, shading, and all those angles lol...)

in this picture its showing changes to the front mechanism for launching the blade, their now a bit smoother and spikey to match the style of the weapon, as well as the drum (now a closed drum) in the upright position (static position) for more practical reloading.
              For the reload animation the outer claws will move outwards, then down slightly, then back inwards under the next blade, then upward again into the launching mechanism. Hence the black outline of a square on the drum, thats where the claws would enter and grab the next blade. This should make the animation more believable without compromising wails firing speed as their would be less overall movement for the claws, allowing faster animations without it looking funky.

I also added a laser light built into the body of the weapon for Wails secondary laser guided explosive blades.

In this picture i have removed the belt (which i assumed was used for rotation / launching of the blade somehow?) and replaced it with a curved screen showing ammo count or w.e have you. All smoothly built into the body of the gun. I also added a piston to the center rear of the gun which is used for the propulsion of the blade being ejected from the gun.

And finally...

The blade... rather then the whole blade turning, the outer ring (highlighted with yellow) and teeth of the blade could be what rotates. This allows the center of the disk to be stationary allowing the launching mechanism to latch onto it freely.

Looking at the design of the blade, i even came up with an explanation for the secondary explosive ammunition even though that posed no mechanical challenges.. The little "chambers" protruding on the center of the blade (highlighted in red) contain an explosive charge that is inert until primed by the gun with an electrical signal through its secondary firing mode being activated.

The launching mechanism maybe attaches to the blade with strong magnets or pegs that go into the blade through small holes in the blade, and contract, leaving the blade, at the end of the launching process.

Again im not an artist and none of these match up with each other, and it is lacking the fine details a real artist can give it but i feel like this design fits the more modern/futuristic-scifi feeling the games going with, and less steampunk-ish and overly mechanical.

If anyone else likes this and your a better artist then me maybe you can draw up a more detailed and correct representation of the ideas here lol

(and for some of you, i dont see a lobster anymore, how about you? lol.....)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by VINC3; 03-27-2015, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I really want to play with the Ripper in official UT builds already. Less flak-ripper and more ripper-ripper please. Now that the prototype is "complete" I've been itching to use it.

VINC3. Good start to removing the excess UT3 over-greeble design but I still see it as a lobster shape with those giant curved blades for the claws and smoothed top looking like the shell. I like your addition to the laser sight though, that's cool. I think the Ripper or whatever we're going to call it this time around does better with smaller discs, these look like they're taken off a saw table.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                  VINC3. Good start to removing the excess UT3 over-greeble design but I still see it as a lobster shape with those giant curved blades for the claws and smoothed top looking like the shell. I like your addition to the laser sight though, that's cool. I think the Ripper or whatever we're going to call it this time around does better with smaller discs, these look like they're taken off a saw table.
                  I have to agree with you on the discs, I think angle grinder cutting discs might be better size. In regards to the lobster, I think those blades are there to give it abit of skaarj styling or something, they do look abit out of place.

http://media.moddb.com/images/member...isonRender.jpg

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...p?14060-Ripper

This isnt a bad concept but I still done get why everything is so mechanical in the future, we have shock rifles and all this mumbo jumbo yet someone cant make a simple rail disc launcher with electromagnets?
                  Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-29-2015, 09:03 AM.
                  Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                    I have to agree with you on the discs, I think angle grinder cutting discs might be better size. In regards to the lobster, I think those blades are there to give it abit of skaarj styling or something, they do look abit out of place.

This isnt a bad concept but I still done get why everything is so mechanical in the future, we have shock rifles and all this mumbo jumbo yet someone cant make a simple rail disc launcher with electromagnets?
                    Naa you need the curves of those blades, they look awesome but are just a bit out of position the way they jut out sideways so much. In YemYams original render and in this beautiful concept art below, they are more under the weapon. The curves on the blades echo those on the weapon and balance the gun nicely. Infact looking at this art, I think the model could use some refinement of its curves to closer match the concept, especially the sharpness of the curved parts on the gun and the angle of the geometry at the front of the weapon, spilling over like a wave. I know Pete said he wasn't going to work on the model though, spare time and all so maybe someone from the community could make those touches.

UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                    Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
                      Naa you need the curves of those blades, they look awesome but are just a bit out of position the way they jut out sideways so much. In YemYams original render and in this beautiful concept art below, they are more under the weapon. The curves on the blades echo those on the weapon and balance the gun nicely.
                      The issue for me is the blades serve no purpose, weapons typically dont have attachments that are just there for show. I know that might mean the weapon looks alittle plain but with all the people asking for hidden weapons you have to wonder how often they'll get seen from the first person. Having seen this weapon from the third person in UC2 I can say it looks awkward and out of place, its functionality is good though and I like how the blade goes both ways in that game.

I wouldnt mind if it looked more like the original Unreal variant than the UT one but this is a mishmash of both and I dont think it really does the functionality justice despite being my favourite because of the material.

Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Brief update: Unfortunately for me I think I'm going to have to port the weapon to blueprint to have this usable online. This is also going to require a bit of restructuring since the way I implemented some of the functionality in C++ is not compatible with what's currently exposed to Blueprints. I'll post an update when I make some more progress on this.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Oh this is the design thread lol, here I was thinking it was art because of all the mesh pictures so I wasnt discussing actual functionality. If you need any help Wail just let me know and I'll see what I can do, I know the C++ is missing some hooks to blueprints and Ive got a fairly extensive list of my own to go through. Or if you need any help porting to blueprints, Ive only been using it for close to acouple of years now

Comment

Yeah since we dont have the ripper as official yet it's not a surprise that some of the art discussion is here. I look forward to using the ripper in UT again so take your time Wail.A question regarding the laser guided mechanic. Does each blade follow the laser sight, kind of like the spidermines if you have more than one out or is it just the last blade fired would take over guided mode?

On the art discussion. Everything in UT was human tech because it's a human tournament so thats why the Ripper was a little mechanical. The Ripper in UT1 definitely made me think it was launched by electromagnets and I think it's better suited for a Ripper-like weapon. At least for Unreal DNA sake trying to make everything old tech mechanical like the Ripjack from UT3 makes me associate it more with Gears these days. Especially if it's got some sort of melee like mechanic I would just think of the Gears lancer chainsaw in UT form instead of the Ripper.

In my own opinion the under-lobster claw blades in The Ripjack doesn't quite look like it's skaarj because of the jutting out plates that hold the disc. It kind of instantly kills the whole dangerous vibe and ends up looking clunky. I'd much rather see the ripper have some other way of "holding" the disc even if it floats there in an anti gravity field.

Comment

Since this is just a proto mesh why don't we just keep it simple? Delete the claws and have the blade feeder in a static position? Makes things way easier for me as it eliminates any crazy articulation.

Attached Files
                              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Why not, just glad to see it being considered. I think UT needs a few more weapons - the ripper and lightning gun
                                UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                                Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                                "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X