Grenade Launcher C++

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grenade Launcher C++

The Grenade Launcher was a bit of an overlooked weapon that first appeared in UT2004. I think the concept had some potential and I would like to bring it back as a weapon in UT4's implementation of Onslaught (if there is one), so I whipped up a prototype for playing around with.

Primary Fire : Launches sticky grenades
    Secondary Fire: Detonates sticky grenades

Currently the blueprints for this weapon are using some placeholder stuff, but I'd like to bring this more towards the EONS Grenade Launcher which I created for UT2004, where the grenades themselves detonated with a small electrical EMP-like effect that had additional effects on vehicle targets. I also think it might be fun to bring in some U2 style flavor by giving this weapon alternate ammunition types (which would be pretty easy, but currently don't know what I would want for other ammunitions).
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Just a small correction it first appeared in Unreal: Return to Na Pali, then Unreal 2, and then UT2k4. Also for the GL i would like it to release toxic, emp, and flame/grenades. So alt fire would be to switch from one if those choices and then primary wood simply shoot them.
    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
    UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Thanks for the historical note. I wasn't really aware it showed up in Return to Na Pali. And well, I'm willing to incorporate some functionality from the U2 Grenade Launcher but I'd like to give it a different identity from that weapon. I like the idea of having multiple firemodes but each one needs to really add something of value to the game -- Stuff like smoke and concussion ... I'm not sure I'd want that.

My current thought process is that ammo switching can be achieved through multipress Alt + Primary.
      Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Nice. So yes, this is my thread with thoughts about a possible Grenade Launcher:
        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...enade-Launcher

One thing I'd absolutely want to see is the possibility to fire contact grenades, instead of bouncy ones. Otherwise the weapon becomes extremely hard to use in most situations.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Very nice. Cant wait to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
            Thanks for the historical note. I wasn't really aware it showed up in Return to Na Pali. And well, I'm willing to incorporate some functionality from the U2 Grenade Launcher but I'd like to give it a different identity from that weapon. I like the idea of having multiple firemodes but each one needs to really add something of value to the game -- Stuff like smoke and concussion ... I'm not sure I'd want that.

My current thought process is that ammo switching can be achieved through multipress Alt + Primary.
            That is why I did not mention those. However for Toxic and Napalm you can counter it by using the Toxic Suit or Asbestos Suit, then there is ordinary grenades and EMP.
            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Smoke grenades are super useful if you're a flag carrier. Concussion knock out the view instantly regardless of your HP and armour, so it has its uses as well (albeit it's not particularly fun when someone uses it against you). Meanwhile incendiary is really just an upgraded version of frag grenades.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Smoke grenades are super useful if you're a flag carrier. Concussion knock out the view instantly regardless of your HP and armour, so it has its uses as well (albeit it's not particularly fun when someone uses it against you). Meanwhile incendiary is really just an upgraded version of frag grenades.
                Both of these to me are kind of unfun to have in the game. Smoke is less so, but I'm really wary of potential spammability of it. I'd be more inclined to have smoke as some kind of vehicle feature (e.g. an anti-Avril countermeasure) than as a handheld weapon thing. Frag and Incendiary are ok, but kind of uninspired. I'd like to do something more unique with the weapon so original ideas are welcome there.

Comment

I would suggest the GL be spawned like a Super Weapon, that spawns on each base with no extra ammo. To prevent it being spammable, it will only have 5 grenades for each fire mode.
                  UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                    I would suggest the GL be spawned like a Super Weapon, that spawns on each base with no extra ammo. To prevent it being spammable, it will only have 5 grenades for each fire mode.
                    This doesn't really fit my vision for the weapon but you're free to do some subclass implementation in that direction. I'd like to broaden its utility and increase its overall strength and responsiveness, but I think that restricting it to one person at a time would be at odds with where I see this weapon fitting in to the arsenal.

Comment

I think what SDAHeatWave meant is that it should be non-weapos-stay and have no ammo pickups.

However, I'd rather see dynamic ammo pickups. If you pick ammo, you get only one type of grenade, and when the ammo respawns, its type is randomly chosen (with a bias towards the less powerful grenade types). The base weapon pickup could have simple frag grenades only.

Comment

I'd also love to see a usable and first grade grenade launcher in UT4 instead of beeing "only" a secondary or tertiary feature of some other weapon so I have been prototyping as well
                        At a first glance most people don't use them a lot as the learning curve is indeed steeper than most other weapons (most other weapons have more like a simple point and click interface) whereas the GL needs some forward thinking and better aiming (at least for direct combat).
                        But only very few games got them right (IMHO the team fortress series).

My prototype (really basic using the first person template)

Why I love them and think they are a very rewarding and fun weapon to use:
                        • because of the steeper and longer learning curve (like movement in UT)
                        • it is more a tactical weapon, great for teamplay (slow down enemy pushes, set up traps)
                        • possible grenade jumps to trade health for movement speed/travel distance
                        • not so "mainstream" like the RL
                        • can deliver huge amount of damage (unlike most other weapons you can hit an enemy with more than one projectile)

Functionality:
                        • primary attack: shoot a grenade, explodes on impact if hit an enemy (small boxes in my video) otherwise bounce around for 2-3s and explode
                        • secondary attack: let the grenades stick to walls/players/vehicles and can be remotly detonated (anyone still knows "Sticky bomb like you"?)
                        • each explosion does splash damage and applies some outward force to objects in its blast radius
                        • sticky grenades can be killed by simply shooting them
                        • lay at most 6-8 grenades at once
                        • preferable a separate key to detonate them ('g'-key?)

Fun stuff:
                        • use sticky grenades for long/high grenade jumps (even in midair: shoot below and detonate immediatly)
                        • perhaps even propel teammates to the enemy base or death?
                        • shoot sticky grenades onto your enemy
                        • build traps to detonate when enemy walks/drives through (great to protect base entrances against vehicles)
                        • propel crates/boxes/barrels into your enemy and kill them
                        • lard a light vehicle (manta) with your bombs, drive it into an enemy tank, eject before impact and detonate (but don't get shoot while driving or the bombs will go off and blow you to pieces)

Tactical:
                        • clear an area (enemy flag room)
                        • slow down enemy pushes (they need to disarm/evade your bombs)
                        • hinder access to certain areas (flag, health, base entrances)
                        • grenades scare enemies more than rockets do (as they can see where they will be blown up)

Personally I would prefer GL to the bio rifle
                        Perhaps we can merge both into one weapon as they have some similarities but I think the GL is more versatile. Something like blue glowing plasma grenades instead of green slime?
                        And the RL will have a free slot for other cool fire modes

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by splitDEV View Post
                          Personally I would prefer GL to the bio rifle
                          Perhaps we can merge both into one weapon as they have some similarities but I think the GL is more versatile. Something like blue glowing plasma grenades instead of green slime?
                          And the RL will have a free slot for other cool fire modes

Cheers!
                          I've thought about this, and it's definitely true there's some overlap in traditional gamemodes between BioRifle and Grenade Launcher. I've considered merging the two together. Unlike a lot of other combinations I also feel like the BioRifle + Grenade Launcher combination doesn't necessarily remove from either's unique character but instead could enhance both.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a good way for the inputs to work without a third fire key (for any kind of core game feature I think it's wise to limit ourselves to Fire / Alt-Fire only). I also want to do some prototyping with the BioRifle to add a spray / gas feature as this was an idea I felt was successful when I played with it years ago. I want to give that a shot with the BioRifle and see how that influences the weapon before I went and combined these two.

Comment

splitDEV, nice. However, you absolutely need contact grenades that explode on impact with anything. Players are not boxes, they don't stand around, so the chances of hitting a player head-on are practically nil. Meanwhile hitting a player with splash damage is very much viable.

In Unreal II, tapping the fire button produces a contact grenade, while holding the button for a second produces a bouncy grenade. I think that's a very nice scheme because when you use bouncy grenades you also typically have a bit of extra time (when you want to grenadejump or toss it around the corner).

Wail, for the keys, if there is no tertiary fire button (I'd love to have one, but that's a different topic entirely), you can still do it like the Rocket Launcher does and emulate a third key by pressing both. So primary fire could be "throw grenade" (tap → contact, hold → bouncy and sticky), alternate fire would be on-release "switch grenade type" and alt+fire would be "detonate grenades".

Comment

splitDEV, nice. However, you absolutely need contact grenades that explode on impact with anything. Players are not boxes, they don't stand around, so the chances of hitting a player head-on are practically nil. Meanwhile hitting a player with splash damage is very much viable.
                              Thanks
                              But what is the difference between the Rocket Launcher and the contact grenades if they both explode on impact? I think this would create to much of an overlap..
                              Even if you don't hit your opponent directly, the bouncing grenades increase the chance of him running into one of them and forces him to evade/flee the area making him vulnerable again.

Wail, for the keys, if there is no tertiary fire button (I'd love to have one, but that's a different topic entirely), you can still do it like the Rocket Launcher does and emulate a third key by pressing both. So primary fire could be "throw grenade" (tap → contact, hold → bouncy and sticky), alternate fire would be on-release "switch grenade type" and alt+fire would be "detonate grenades".
                              You are right, but I think a separate key instead of a tertiary fire button is the better solution. This wouldn't overload the two fire buttons (easier to learn/understand) but also lets the player detonate the bombs immediately, even while carrying other weapons or if the GL is empty (atm you can't switch back to empty weapons).

Comment

Working...
                              X