BioRifle Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] BioRifle Web

Hello everyone! I had an idea for the BioRifle that I thought might add some nice utility. The concept is that you can shoot a charged glob and then shoot it with secondary fire to explode it into a web of goo. My initial thought was that this web would slow any players or projectiles passing through it, but maybe you guys have some different ideas.

Also, we would need to think of a way to differentiate primary and secondary fire. Again, my initial thought was that it would be a slower-moving projectile that increases the gravity of a player if it directly hits them. I know movement-impairing effects aren't that popular, but I thought the difficulty of a slow-moving direct hit could be a good counter-balance to the effects.

The prototype is kind of buggy; sometimes the globs go through the walls, but you can still get the idea.

I'd love to know if you guys think the idea is worth pursuing.

That looks awesome. holy ****.

Comment

You win x4. Cool Idea

Comment

This is great!

Comment

i like good work. im assuming like previous blobs you can shoot them to clear the path that is if you dont walk into it 1st
          Join the community Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Hell yes, looks great!

As a first pass this already looks pretty powerful for area denial/doing damage, i.e. if touching/shooting a strand simply sets of the blob it is connected to (which then has a chance to chain with neighboring blobs via splash damage etc). Having each web blob explosion apply a tiny slow debuff that can stack for a max amount or simply trying to go the route of each blob that hits setting the victims velocity to 0 for that instant could be cool. If it had this sort of functionality I feel like we'd probably want to reduce overall damage a bit too.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the changed firing modes and how they interact currently, feels a bit complicated. Seems it would already work pretty well if you left LMB/RMB the way they worked before with the only difference being that the charged alt fire blob now explodes into your web whenever it takes any damage or is touched by an enemy as opposed to just creating an instant splash explosion of doom. This would still allow you to set it off yourself combo style (maybe even mid-air which could be awesome if the alt fire projectile had a little lower gravity and maybe a bit more generous collision shape).

You could also come up with different behaviour depending on wether or not the alt fire blob landed a direct hit or if it was triggered via touch/damage. I.e. it could be pretty sweet to have a fully charged direct hit alt blob freeze the victim in place and spawn out the web so he remains suspended for a second or two instead of just instagibbing the victim as it works currently.

Comment

Looks really cool, how are you drawing the web-threads? Just a beam emitter between locations?
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

This must be in the game. It is too cool and unique not to have. Has any FPS ever done this sort of thing?

Comment

I really like the idea - would make the bio-rifle a lot more fun to use. I don't feel like it should slow anyone down - but it should do some burn damage if passing through it. And it should (imo) just always make the webs on secondary - no need to re-shoot it for the effect. Basically what Clawfist has said.

Comment

Fun, though like Clawfist, it makes the Bio Rifle a more complicated weapon than it needs to be. I'd favor the alt exploding into webs upon contact with a surface, or player. >:P

My question is, what happens when the Bio alt does not hit a blob? Does it just, disintegrate, cause damage, or a smaller variant of the alt on a charged blob?
                    Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                    Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                    Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                    --Captain Crit

Comment

Great idea.

Comment

Not sure if anyone else was implying this, but I think it might be cool to have these act as bio glob trip wires. Cross one and the blob explodes. This can already happen sometimes, like when it explodes at the end of the globs lifetime.

The effect is undeniably cool. I almost think that the bio primary should be completely removed. Have the charged shot mapped to primary and the web forming shot mapped to secondary. I think the web forming shot should be a somewhat fast projectile that is not affected by gravity. This whole idea makes me think it is the bio rifle equivalent of the shock combo.

Comment

looks cool. These lines can cause damage as lasers, disappearing after touching.

Comment

i'd even say that i like it a bit better than the bio-gas idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                              Hell yes, looks great!

As a first pass this already looks pretty powerful for area denial/doing damage, i.e. if touching/shooting a strand simply sets of the blob it is connected to (which then has a chance to chain with neighboring blobs via splash damage etc). Having each web blob explosion apply a tiny slow debuff that can stack for a max amount or simply trying to go the route of each blob that hits setting the victims velocity to 0 for that instant could be cool. If it had this sort of functionality I feel like we'd probably want to reduce overall damage a bit too.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the changed firing modes and how they interact currently, feels a bit complicated. Seems it would already work pretty well if you left LMB/RMB the way they worked before with the only difference being that the charged alt fire blob now explodes into your web whenever it takes any damage or is touched by an enemy as opposed to just creating an instant splash explosion of doom. This would still allow you to set it off yourself combo style (maybe even mid-air which could be awesome if the alt fire projectile had a little lower gravity and maybe a bit more generous collision shape).

You could also come up with different behaviour depending on wether or not the alt fire blob landed a direct hit or if it was triggered via touch/damage. I.e. it could be pretty sweet to have a fully charged direct hit alt blob freeze the victim in place and spawn out the web so he remains suspended for a second or two instead of just instagibbing the victim as it works currently.
                              how about like ut99 rocket launcher, press release primary to throw single, hold to charge and secondary throws what ever u call it to set of the web
                              Join the community Facebook page
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Working...
                              X