• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Link Gun WIP

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<

VIDEO UPDATED Jan 21 2016

Features of this Weapon:
    Primary Fire: Rapid fire of deadly plasma bolts
    Alternate Fire: Cutting stream of plasma energy. Does not interfere with targeted enemy's movement.
    Multipress Alternate Fire: Releases a burst of plasma energy in front of the user, dealing damage and knocking back nearby foes, or explosively propelling the wielder in the opposite direction.

Discussion

So there has been a lot of complaining about the current implementation of the Link Gun. I don't really want to engage with that because the UT4 Link Gun to me is the first time that the Link Gun has been a weapon that has stood roughly even with the other weapons in fragging potential. However, I do think that we are getting a little myopic in focusing on particular mechanics and there are a lot more creative things we can do with the Link Gun than we're currently exploring. The 'Repulsor' idea is just one of these, and I'll be trying to explore more going forward. Right now the implementation for getting the Repulsor behavior working in the game is kind of hacky (IMO) so I will definitely need to look into getting the behavior I actually want out of this. But at the moment it's passable and demonstrates the idea.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wail; 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM.
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Bump. Added new playable prototype for the Link Gun, video demo, etc.
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing (except possibly a bit too nerfed primary fire projectile size unless it's the FOV that's playing its trick). You always keep suprising with good weapon mechanics prototyping. Would gladly have seen how secondary as well as the pulse affects an enemy player but will test it out (yes I read it's still WIP etc) but yea still. Good job as usual, can't wait to see next weapon you approach. Especially Bio Rifle needs adressing to make it an interesting tactical/defensive weapon (CTF in mind especially, defending flagrooms...) without getting too annoying though.
      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 04-27-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
        I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing (except possibly a bit too nerfed primary fire projectile size unless it's the FOV that's playing its trick). You always keep suprising with good weapon mechanics prototyping. Would gladly have seen how secondary as well as the pulse affects an enemy player but will test it out (yes I read it's still WIP etc) but yea still. Good job as usual, can't wait to see next weapon you approach. Especially Bio Rifle needs adressing to make it an interesting tactical/defensive weapon (CTF in mind especially, defending flagrooms...) without getting too annoying though.
        Yeah, I haven't messed with any of the other mechanics on the bolts. It's FOV. I really was tempted to play with Cascade to make the particles for the primary look a lot meatier, because you're right -- They look piddly. But that was a distraction and I was pretty busy over the last couple of days as it is.
        Last edited by Wail; 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Nice! Tried the secondary feature but couldn't get it to work vs bots. The idea is kind of a blast that pushes people back? That's what I gathered from the video

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
            Nice! Tried the secondary feature but couldn't get it to work vs bots. The idea is kind of a blast that pushes people back? That's what I gathered from the video
            Yup. It is finicky to get working, but you should be able to do it if you get close enough and are aiming at them. I really want more of a cone-AOE style effect but I wasn't able to get that working quite right, so the way it works behind the scenes is not ideal right now.

Comment

Gj wail. How to test it ? Possible to create a deck map including all your custom weapons ?
              Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
              https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
              http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
              Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                Gj wail. How to test it ? Possible to create a deck map including all your custom weapons ?
                Here you go.

I haven't tested this out but it should work (until the new build drops).

Comment

I'm not against lockdown if it will have decreased damage and faster weapon switch but this one seems great. Self boost may be little bit op but it would be wrong to judge before test it. I'll try it asap, gj
                  Originally posted by RedCat
                  hey i just played you
                  and this is crazy
                  but the mouse is still an issue
                  so fix it maybe

Comment

The Link Gun's repulsing should be making less momentum imo,Link Gun is not a defense/sniping weapon...or is it?
                    I like this idea because Flak's and Rocket's damage per reload was greater,Link hadn't any ability to push enemies off their hiding spots,barricades or whatever,and it didn't fly fast enough to hurt snipers,some vigilance and territory advantage like in CTF gave them too much strengths.This idea will make something similar to Flak and Rockets,but won't fill the whole room,and won't be giving defense advantages i guess
                    -I don't understand these humans.How can they spend their entire lives in walls of cold stone?
                    -They need protection,for they know no lasting peace.Humans have always found a reason to take the life of someone else or each other

Comment

Interestingly this could run in tandem with the current pull mechanic with how you have it interfaced.
                      Originally posted by Mysterial
                      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                        Interestingly this could run in tandem with the current pull mechanic with how you have it interfaced.
                        It does, although I consider that an unintended side-effect. I don't think (last I checked) there's any way to switch firemodes in Blueprints, which is a disappointing limitation. If I were implementing this in C++ I would make this firemode exclusive since it ought to have some charge up time and a distinct cooldown associated with it for proper risk/reward.

Comment

Still have a lot of things I want to tackle functionality-wise but I did want to show off some screenshots of some better looking Link / Pulse variations.

First off, proper coloration for the Link Gun. Hopefully the adjustments to material system that Epic is planning for next build won't break this kind of stuff on me. Thoughts or suggestions? Right now I like the green + black and white, but I may drop the white entirely. The glow of the energy is fairly yellowish, but I may try for a more emissive green that can transition to yellow when linked up.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Next, an old classic that Aberiu made at the start of this project. The model is in the game, but need to get animations and FX working properly. We'll have to figure out exactly what to do with him for gameplay, but it looks sweet. Chunky UT classic.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                          Attached Files

Comment

**** the Pulse Gun looks amazing!

Comment

Sneak peek at the latest updates to the Link Pulsar. Download links later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X