Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Shock Rifle WIP

Concept: Reflective Shock Rifle

Notes: Implemented in C++. Would really like for this to be officially implemented in UT4 but Epic has not shown any interest in doing so thus far.

I really wanted to implement this functionality for UT4 since I created some levels utilizing it in UT2004 and there seemed to be a lot of interest in adding bouncing behavior to the Shock Rifle for this version of the game. The approach I'm using here allows level designers to control the power of this added functionality through use of physics settings for a given material. I still don't know if this is the best way to handle it, but it seems like it gives us a great deal of flexibility in determining how powerful and prevalent this functionality is, while still allowing us to explore the fun possibilities it presents.

Sapphire Shock Rifle

LATEST VIDEO UPDATED Sept 05 2015

The Sapphire Shock Rifle is a variant of the Shock Rifle for UT4. The most visible change is that the Sapphire Shock Rifle returns the Shock Rifle to its correct, blue-colored glory. The Sapphire Shock Rifle also utilizes the original Unreal Tournament sounds and features fully customized effects for all weapon firing modes. Functionality with the Sapphire Shock Rifle is changed in various ways in order to create a weapon that is more fun to use for newcomers and veterans alike.

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE (Sapphire v10)<<<
    (Download Link last updated: Dec 14 2015.)

Installation & Playing Instructions

There are three main ways that the Sapphire Shock Rifle can be played with.
    • Download and play the Weapons Testing Arena that I have created (Direct download to map). The Weapons Testing arena is a version of DM-ASDF that features some of my custom weapons. Simply load up the map and play. On this map, the default UT4 'Shock Rifle' is replaced by the Sapphire Shock Rifle. Recommended for offline players & testers!
    • Download the custom Mutator Sapphire Shock Rifle Replacer that I have created. This mutator replaces all default UT4 'Shock Rifles' on a level with Sapphire Shock Rifles. Recommended for Server Admins!
    • Utilize the built-in "Weapon Replacement" mutator to replace another weapon of your choice with the Sapphire Shock Rifle.

As always please let me know if you have difficulties getting this working, find bugs, or just want to give feedback on the weapon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wail; 12-17-2015, 04:20 PM.
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

this is cool. I like this.

Comment

This is a difficult one. On one side it "it's a bit cool behavior", feels good just by looking at in a video and lesser UT fanatics will be like, bouncing shells combos waaauw. But I'm worried about it from a complicated case scenario. The players can't keep track of the environment all the time if there's lots of other things going on and I can see it may become annoying from that point of a view that the mechanic is a bit too complicated to take into account for the escaping player and know which surfaces are reflective and not if it's not made really easily visible which is perhaps not so nice looking either and it has potential to annoy especially newcomer players. Also it's always difficult to look behind your back.

It's nice to see new Shock rifle ideas though, I'm unsure how it plays in practice online, would have to be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
        This is a difficult one. On one side it "it's a bit cool behavior", feels good just by looking at in a video and lesser UT fanatics will be like, bouncing shells combos waaauw. But I'm worried about it from a complicated case scenario. The players can't keep track of the environment all the time if there's lots of other things going on and I can see it may become annoying from that point of a view that the mechanic is a bit too complicated to take into account for the escaping player and know which surfaces are reflective and not if it's not made really easily visible which is perhaps not so nice looking either and it has potential to annoy especially newcomer players. Also it's always difficult to look behind your back.

It's nice to see new Shock rifle ideas though, I'm unsure how it plays in practice online, would have to be tested.

This is one of the reasons why I implemented this as I did, as this becomes a map feature rather than purely added weapon functionality.

In UT2004 I created a level called DM-Shine where I utilized reflective walls to create an arena for players to duel/DM focused around this idea. I plan on recreating this level for UT4 at some point, and the entire purpose of that map is utilizing angles to set up billiards-style combos. In general I'm okay with the possibility some people not liking or not comprehending this functionality because not everyone likes every map. A map with a gimmick, like DM-Morpheus with its low-gravity volumes, or like DM-Healpod with its trapped healing volume, is not going to be for everyone, but that's ok. Avoiding it is as easy as playing a different map.
        Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Somebody blueprinted this exact functionality a couple months ago. I thought Epic said they were interested in testing having a material that could bounce shock and maybe other projectiles. The only real problem with it is messaging, how do you let people know "it works here but not there"? They originally said something about having a shimmer effect on the material but clearly nothing was ever done with it. I'd be interested in testing it out.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I personaly don't like it is.. SR is perfect the way it is (his purpose).. Hope Epic won't put something like this in game. Some thing should't be mess around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
              Somebody blueprinted this exact functionality a couple months ago. I thought Epic said they were interested in testing having a material that could bounce shock and maybe other projectiles. The only real problem with it is messaging, how do you let people know "it works here but not there"? They originally said something about having a shimmer effect on the material but clearly nothing was ever done with it. I'd be interested in testing it out.
              Yeah, we talked about this a fair bit before. here's the thread with the video you're referring to: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ock-rifle-idea
              I started this awhile ago and I wanted to finally get around to finishing off this idea. Right now there are some bugs and cleanup issues to do, but it's in a good enough state that I can show it off.

Messaging definitely needs work and I'd like for someone to develop a visually neat and distinctive material that can represent some kind of energy field so that a consistent visual vocabulary could be established.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                This is one of the reasons why I implemented this as I did, as this becomes a map feature rather than purely added weapon functionality.

In UT2004 I created a level called DM-Shine where I utilized reflective walls to create an arena for players to duel/DM focused around this idea. I plan on recreating this level for UT4 at some point, and the entire purpose of that map is utilizing angles to set up billiards-style combos. In general I'm okay with the possibility some people not liking or not comprehending this functionality because not everyone likes every map. A map with a gimmick, like DM-Morpheus with its low-gravity volumes, or like DM-Healpod with its trapped healing volume, is not going to be for everyone, but that's ok. Avoiding it is as easy as playing a different map.
                Yea I don't see any probs with it being map-based, just thought it was weird to add a functionally to a single map so therefore was a bit confused and thought it would appear more often than that. I wouldn't want it for every map for sure but if it's a modded map content feature I guess there shouldn't be any issues. Although at this point I'd be much more interested in seeing "universal" weapon ideas/tweaks being played around with, much less special map features but hey it sounds weird talking like this since "more the merrier" right? If you are interested in this kind of stuff then by all means go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by scratch View Post
                  I personaly don't like it is.. SR is perfect the way it is (his purpose).. Hope Epic won't put something like this in game. Some thing should't be mess around.
                  c'mon, it is this sort of attitude that will make this just a boring sequel. it doesn't change the core functionality of the weapon. if you can't change something like this to make the game more fun you can't change anything, everything is too "holy". if you don't like the feature then don't play maps that use it, simple.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    c'mon, it is this sort of attitude that will make this just a boring sequel. it doesn't change the core functionality of the weapon. if you can't change something like this to make the game more fun you can't change anything, everything is too "holy". if you don't like the feature then don't play maps that use it, simple.
                    Yeah, that's why it is important that this is a map feature and not just something built in to the gun. It adds some spice to different maps.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                      Yea I don't see any probs with it being map-based, just thought it was weird to add a functionally to a single map so therefore was a bit confused and thought it would appear more often than that. I wouldn't want it for every map for sure but if it's a modded map content feature I guess there shouldn't be any issues. Although at this point I'd be much more interested in seeing "universal" weapon ideas/tweaks being played around with, much less special map features but hey it sounds weird talking like this since "more the merrier" right? If you are interested in this kind of stuff then by all means go for it!
                      I feel the same way about gun functions should be a universal concept to understand instead of map dynamic. I haven't yet posted my heavily revised shock idea yet so much bouncing around all parts of the forum...

But good work on finally implementing your DM-Shine idea Wail. Now maybe it can be more of a map LD trick for people to use if they want instead of exclusively your own maps
                      I would move all energy weapons to be able to be reflectable off the LD surface though not just shock so we don't play favorites. Then like Steve said, we can make the function off LD surfaces only to a universal use with Mutators (Bouncy Balls) or some other name for it if it has more than just shock energy bouncing, link gun reflecting should follow suit since it's a counter to shock balls.
                      Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-20-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I think its a Fantastic idea just make an example with it rebounding rockets and they will be sold. Think it will be cool for it to rebound every weapon can have cool maps, hallways etc with interesting spam LOL and skilled rebound kills.
                        Join the community Facebook page
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                          I feel the same way about gun functions should be a universal concept to understand instead of map dynamic. I haven't yet posted my heavily revised shock idea yet so much bouncing around all parts of the forum...

But good work on finally implementing your DM-Shine idea Wail. Now maybe it can be more of a map LD trick for people to use if they want instead of exclusively your own maps
                          I would move all energy weapons to be able to be reflectable off the LD surface though not just shock so we don't play favorites. Then like Steve said, we can make the function off LD surfaces only to a universal use with Mutators (Bouncy Balls) or some other name for it if it has more than just shock energy bouncing, link gun reflecting should follow suit since it's a counter to shock balls.
                          Yep. The way I implemented it in UT2004 was actually heavily geared towards making it easy to use, but by the time I had created it most of the mapping community had died off so...
                          I am definitely for Link bolts bouncing as well. That is actually fairly trivial to do. Generally energy attacks ought to ricochet.

For mutator support I might add a "Always reflect" option. Should be trivial.
                          I don't know if I'll get around to it anytime soon but I'd eventually like to make a "Billiards" game mode where the only way to actually damage an opponent is through a shock combo that you detonate off of a reflected shot. It's probably far off in the future but it's an idea that might be fun to play with on maps that offer a lot of opportunities for bank shots.

Was talking with Raxxy in IRC about getting this set up to run on a server, hopefully I can get some time to put together a small demo map (or port a map and slap in some placeholder reflective material bits). I'd like to do that so people can actually play with it.
                          Last edited by Wail; 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Haha billiards sounds really quirky, no idea how that would actually play out... but the idea of it is pretty fun/funny. I should also toss in that the lightning gun should also be reflectable if we're counting all of the energy guns. Instagib billiards reflect would be pretty different though. Significantly harder to properly reflect a shot where you want it to go on moving targets.

Comment

The music makes it. Cool idea, and had me thinking how insane an Instagib level could be with this reflective material in it.

As for implementation in the main game, perhaps force-fields could reflect fire - useful for protecting spawns in assault maps
                              UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                              Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X