Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper Rifle

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE (Saint v11)<<<
    (Download Link last updated: Jan 22 2016.)

VIDEO UPDATED Jan 05 2016

Features of the Saint Sniper Rifle:
    Primary Fire : (Sniper Standard) High speed precision attack capable of headshotting opponents for additional damage.
    Alternate Fire : (Sniper Standard) Optical zoom
    Other(1): Audible notifications when a player switches to or from the Saint Sniper Rifle
    Other(2): Slight audible hum when the Saint Sniper Rifle is drawn.

This weapon is meant to be a minimalist and pure sniping weapon. I have some other ideas I wanted to explore with other variations (e.g. Twilight Sniper) that weren't suitable for competitive play, so I had to make something with an identity specifically focused towards that niche.

As usual please let me know if you encounter any issues with this weapon, or would like to give me any feedback. Eager to hear what you think!

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE (Twilight v10)<<<
    (Download Link last updated: Dec 17 2015.)

VIDEO UPDATED Oct 04 2015

Features of the Twilight Sniper Rifle:
    Primary Fire : (Sniper Standard) High speed precision attack capable of headshotting opponents for additional damage.
    Alternate Fire : (Sniper Standard) Optical zoom
    Other(1): Audible notifications when a player switches to or from the Twilight Sniper Rifle
    Other(2): Slight audible hum when the Twilight Sniper Rifle is drawn.

The Sniper Rifle is a pretty contentious weapon since it is extremely powerful in the hands of a high skilled player and leaves opponents little room to effectively counter it. I wanted to explore a few ideas for making the Sniper Rifle a somewhat more interesting weapon whether by adjusting existing functionality or adding new functionality.

Idea 1: Continuous Damage Over Fixed Duration

This video demonstrates a beam-like firemode that shoots continuously for a fixed duration of 0.1 seconds. Current settings inflict ~75 damage for a full 0.1 seconds duration on-target, but the values for both damage and duration of the beam can be adjusted as balance requires.

Cons:
    - Amount of damage inflicted to the target is less consistent.
    - Maintaining aim on a fast moving target is more difficult
    - Might feel 'sluggish' or 'inconsistent' in game due to damage not being inflicted instantaneously

Pros:
    - Amount of damage inflicted to the target is less consistent.
    - Maintaining aim on a fast moving target is more difficult
    - Better potential for evasion / mitigation of at least some damage

Thoughts
    I've had this idea for awhile now and I was worried that moving to a damage-over-time model would make the gun feel sluggish and weak. After implementing this kind of firemode and seeing it in action, though, I'm feeling more confident that this might be a valid direction to explore for the Sniper Rifle. With a short duration like 0.1 seconds, the shot still feels 'punchy' but the damage is not sent down in a single guaranteed 70 damage bundle, instead you have to actually maintain your aim throughout. I'm sure this will make the gun much harder to use in practice, but that also hopefully gives us more room balance-wise to play with other balancing factors like fire-rate or having moving headshots.

Idea 2: Charged Fire With Fixed Minimum Damage

This video demonstrates a charged hitscan firemode with a fixed minimum damage. In the example video, the fixed minimum damage is 40 for a single fire button tap. However, if the fire button is held for up to 2 seconds, this shot scales, doing up to 120 damage in a single shot.
    Values for minimum damage, maximum damage, and duration of the charge can be adjusted as balance requires.

Cons:
    - Fire-on-release adds mechanical delay
    - Might result in players 'charging up' Sniper shots and instakilling players with no defense, creating first-shot-wins situations

Pros:
    - Allows for the sniper rifle to be alternately balanced for both run-and-gun flickshots as well as a sit-and-snipe playstyles
    - Introduces decisionmaking on whether to charge a shot or fire immediately
    - Charge time, ammo consumption during charge, and amount of damage added by charging are all adjustable and valid opportunities for balancing

Thoughts
    This was a fairly straightforward idea to implement and has been used in other games. I think this has potential, as the firing behavior does not feel 'sluggish' to me here as it did with the UT99 Rocket Launcher. That being said, I'm unsure what values would really provide a good balance between the expected run & gun usage versus the low-level player who wants to sit on the side of Face and be a stationary sniper. Some experimentation here is definitely needed. I have another idea I want to try here in order to prevent the charged-first-shot from being overpowered, but I'll post that in another day or so as Idea #3.

Idea 2a: Armor-Shredding Charged Fire

This video demonstrates a charged hitscan firemode that deals a fixed amount of health damage. The weapon is capable of charging up for "bonus" damage, but this bonus damage is only ever applied to the armor worn by the opponent (thus shredding armor they might be wearing).

Thoughts
    I wanted to quickly follow up on the charging fire concept I posted above, as I felt like it would become too easy to charge up a shot and then pick off a freshly spawned player. By moving the bonus damage gained by the charge specifically to breaking armor, the charging functionality becomes less useful for picking off fresh spawns and much more useful for players attempting to mount comebacks. In the video the amount of armor-wrecking capability is played up for demonstration purposes (dealing a full 170 armor damage to an opponent with Shield Belt and Helmet), but conceptually I think this is an interesting mechanic to play around with.
    Last edited by Wail; 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM.
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Originally posted by darkskyabove
    First, and foremost, your video does not show a sniper rifle, it show an energy beam weapon ala lightning gun. If it doesn't have a ballistic projectile, how can you call it a rifle?
    A rifle is referred to a weapon that has a stock and has to be shouldered, bullet or not.

I'm a little unsure of this idea, how would this change affect the headshot damage of the Sniper Rifle?

Comment

First, and foremost, your video does not show a sniper rifle, it show an energy beam weapon ala lightning gun. If it doesn't have a ballistic projectile, how can you call it a rifle?
      Same way the Shock Rifle is a rifle?

The aesthetics are 100% unimportant here.

Originally posted by SX View Post
      I'm a little unsure of this idea, how would this change affect the headshot damage of the Sniper Rifle?
      This is one of the concerns I have regarding uncertainty of damage -- Not only do you have the range between "swept over my opponent dealing minimal damage" and "drilled into them for max damage" you also have to consider potentially amplifying that damage if you hit their head box. I don't know if that is too unpredictable. I suspect some form of visual / audible feedback would be necessary to communicate effectively how much damage you deal to the target.
      Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I see.

It may be too unpredictable, between normal movement, dodging, dodge rolling, jumping and wall dodging, a varying damage model for body and head might prove to be infuriating in this type of game. Though if the UT Sniper Rifle had damage drop-off range like other FPS' who shall not be named, I imagine it would make those players happy, and the old school UT players ******.

I don't know how else to counter the sniper besides having keen awareness, good hearing and lots of health and armor.

Comment

And yet, definitions are 101% important.
          I'm not disagreeing with you (I even renamed the weapon, it's not just "Sniper Rifle"), but this point is entirely irrelevant to the functionality being showcased here. The only reason I kept that there is because nobody knows what "Blahblah Energy Projector" is, and thus we don't have the intuitive understanding of how it's supposed to fit into the UT arsenal. Calling it a Sniper Rifle in this case makes it apparent that the topics presented here are intended for default / core functionality of the game.

Comment

What I must have failed to explain was that SX's example video turns the SR into a different weapon. It doesn't matter how, or why, but it is different. How can it be called a sniper rifle when it shoots a beam of energy?
            I don't remember making an example video.

The reason I brought up the rifle definition to you is RIFLING is what you're thinking of, Rifle is a weapon with a stock. Go look up a dictionary if you find my words hard to believe. I will apologize for bringing it up, part definition nazi.

Comment

Lets not turn this thread into a semantics argument, go to PMs for that.

Comment

Sure thing. And I apologize for beginning semantics.

Comment

If the beam idea doesn't work, there is another idea, to kinda keep the sniper rifle behave the same, but prevent it from becoming a long range hip fire machine.

If you played UC2, you might see where this is going.

Primary fire while unzoomed fires three tayrdium bullets in a wide spread, making it useful up close, but making long range near to impossible unless you zoomed in with the alt fire, where all three bullets converge into one bullet. The three bullets could deal less damage than the zoomed in one. Therefore, it would bring Wail's pros while keeping faith to the original Sniper rifle.

Only thing if this idea does come to light... would there be... QUICKSCOPING?
                  Attached Files

Comment

If the beam idea doesn't work, there is another idea, to kinda keep the sniper rifle behave the same, but prevent it from becoming a long range hip fire machine.

If you played UC2, you might see where this is going.

Primary fire while unzoomed fires three tayrdium bullets in a wide spread, making it useful up close, but making long range near to impossible unless you zoomed in with the alt fire, where all three bullets converge into one bullet. The three bullets could deal less damage than the zoomed in one. Therefore, it would bring Wail's pros while keeping faith to the original Sniper rifle.
                    This sounds even better then the beam idea.

Only thing if this idea does come to light... would there be... QUICKSCOPING?
                    (O___O)´- ...this would be so lame.

The SR from UT99 was somehow a little bit different. Without the zoom you got the most precision but you didn't see your target clear ...with zoom did you get a slight fuzziness in your aim and the bullet got spread ...not much but it wasn't that easy to hit your opponent on far distance with a default SR.
                    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post

(O___O)´- ...this would be so lame.

The SR from UT99 was somehow a little bit different. Without the zoom you got the most precision but you didn't see your target clear ...with zoom did you get a slight fuzziness in your aim and the bullet got spread ...not much but it wasn't that easy to hit your opponent on far distance with a default SR.
                      It would be lame, Very, very lame.

I don't remember the SR from UT99 having spread when zoomed in, then again it's been months since I played it.

Comment

Just a small side-note. This weapon functionality would fit a lot better the lightning gun.

The idea itself is worth testing it and maybe giving the weapon more depth. I like it.

Comment

I don't remember the SR from UT99 having spread when zoomed in, then again it's been months since I played it.
                          It's very marginal ...
                          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

As stated above the idea is probably more of a lightning gun than a sniper rifle. Useless semantic posts aside this is an interesting idea but it's hard to really tell how well it would do having a Sniper with Link gun like behavior (Point and hold on target). What I thought of immediately upon seeing the "Sniper" in action was the military lasers we have today used to quickly burn and shoot down missiles.

Comment

I have to say, that's a pretty **** cool idea. It could be problematic with head shots, but maybe we could balance it by removing head shots entirely, and making the time that you have to follow the guy you're shooting for longer, up to a very high possible damage output. So maybe you have to keep your crosshair on them for 0.2 seconds, and the longer you do it for, the higher the damage increases. If you manage to get all 0.2 seconds of the shot in, it would do something like 150 damage, but only 60 if you hold it for 0.1 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                              X