No announcement yet.

Rocket Launcher WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i found is that screen resolution and FOV have a huge optical illusion on scale. The thing that i do find very strange from that video is when he shoots the rocket below and jumps and hits himself. If as claimed by people that UT4 is slow (im very happy with the speed) and rockets are much much faster then they are in UT99 how the hell does that happen?

If anything by the speed of rockets you should shoot yourself in ut99. whats going on there?
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
      What i found is that screen resolution and FOV have a huge optical illusion on scale. The thing that i do find very strange from that video is when he shoots the rocket below and jumps and hits himself. If as claimed by people that UT4 is slow (im very happy with the speed) and rockets are much much faster then they are in UT99 how the hell does that happen?

If anything by the speed of rockets you should shoot yourself in ut99. whats going on there?
      The rockets used by the Eightball weapon variant are modified to try and approximate UT99 values in terms of being slower initially and accelerating up to full speed.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Ah Right that makes sense
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Yea I think UT99 did the RL best, particularly for the slight amount acceleration which nerfs close combat slightly but avoids it being completely useless (slow) for mid->long range.

Comment

It feels clean and reliable. I don't think the rockets shouldn't be fast, but the way they fire from the gun feels random, even after 80 hrs of playing. Not just in comparison to ut99, but any game I've played. Someone posted a screenshot that shows the rockets spawn in front of the weapon, they also feel like they spawn from your shoulder. It just feels wonky
            Last edited by nuxx; 05-23-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Doing some testing within UT2004 to refine some Trident Rocket Launcher values for next build. This is a bit flawed given that the overall approach is requiring me to manually position and aim, however, this is just for trying to get within the same ballpark.

Flight Time Test Location: DM-Deck: Curved Corner Health Vials to Base of Sniper Ramp

UT2004 Rocket Flight Time: 1.72s
              UT2004 Rocket Velocity: 1350

UT4 Rocket Flight Time: 1.341568
              UT4 Rocket Velocity: 2900

Trident Rocket Flgiht Time: 1.710924
              Trident Rocket Velocity: 2275

Derived UT2004 Scaling Factor: ~1.685185185185

Since I was at it, I decided to do testing within UT as well. This is a bit more complex given the rockets in UT have acceleration. I also decided to try and reduce the impact of human error so I changed locales.

Flight Time Test Location: DM-Deck: Main Room, From one wall to the other lengthwise (perpendicular to the ramps).

UT Rocket Flight Time (900): 2.238404
              UT Rocket Flight Time (1600): 1.247562
              UT Rocket Flight Time (900 accelerating[50] to 1600): 2.109836

UT4 Rocket Flight Time: 1.46059
              UT4 Rocket Velocity: 2900

Eightball Rocket Flight Time (1900): 2.234275
              Eightball Rocket Flight Time (3390): 1.247092
              Eightball Rocket Flight Time (1900 accelerating[110] to 3390): 2.102201

Derived UT Scaling Factor: ~2.11875

Overall this test is quite a bit more tricky since the acceleration plays a significant factor. Also, it's apparent the map scaling between different versions of DM-Deck is also varying.
              I tried to even this out by matching the curve along three points but I'll need some more feedback on these values once the next build drops.
              Last edited by Wail; 05-25-2015, 08:26 AM.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Looks promising, although the 1,5 seconds delay when you loaded the full 6 pack could be removed. The rockets are slower as far as I understand anyway so it should be fair then. Right now it takes like 7-8 seconds to release a full 6 pack, a time where you die more than once in a competitive game. Even on Rocket Arena, ppl will rather spam singles than loading up. If that delay is removed it should be quite close to the UT99 launcher. If it is altered already I would appreciate a new video

Comment

Just as a heads up, the paks for both the Trident and Eightball weapons were updated to function with the new build.

I discovered some problems when utilizing these online a few weeks ago: Trying to look into resolving this before making further adjustments.

Comment

I made a quick variant Rocket Launcher that I'm calling the Styx Rocket Launcher.

This is a bit of a quick hack job messing with some properties. I still want to update the Trident and Eightball variants, but I need to do a more thorough take on those to ensure they work properly in netplay. The Styx is meant to address concerns over the UT4 Rocket Launcher without providing dramatically different functionality in any respect.
                    • Weapon starting ammo increased to 12
                    • Weapon max ammo increased to 24
                    • Rocket damage to 90 (from 100)
                    • Rocket splash radius to 165 (from 330)
                    • Rocket starting speed to 2650 (from 2900)
                    • Rocket maximum speed to 3250 (from 2900)
                    • Rocket collision radius reduced to 7 (from 10)
                    • Rocket explosion effect reduced in size / density (uses Flak secondary explosion for now)
                    • Other minor tweaks

>>>DOWNLOAD Styx<<<

(Updated original post with a tabular breakdown of the features each variant offers).

Comment

Updated the Styx Rocket Launcher for the new build. See the links in the post above or the first post.

Small tweaks:
                      • Added a new material for the 1p model
                      • Increased the splash radius to 200
                      • Splash damage falloff to 0.5 from 1.0

Comment

Once again, updated the Styx Rocket Launcher for the new build. See the link in the first post.

Small tweaks:
                        • Added a new material for the 3p model
                        • Altered firing sound to remove heinous clicking noise

Comment

Updating the Eightball Rocket Launcher: DL Link

The new Rocket Launcher model has made transitioning these weapons to the current build a little time consuming. I'll probably end up releasing another version next weekend to continue cleaning up various elements that were introduced with the new model & animations. At the moment the loading animations won't play quickly enough to keep up with the loading behavior, and I'm not sure if this is some kind of issue with the animations themselves or my code. (Presumably the animations, since the code controlling animation has not changed substantively.)

Eightball Major Features this Version:
                          • Uses new Rocket Launcher model
                          • Customized material
                          • Custom damage classes and less overwhelming explosion effects
                          • Blueprint bug fixes for online play

I've also been taking a second look at improving the gameplay feel of the weaponry here. I previously did some detailed testing of the rocket behavior between UT4 & past UTs on Deck16, but this approach has failings in that neither UT4 Deck16 nor UT4 Character movement are ported with exact faithfulness. I'm trying to take another approach which is to analyze behavior from the scope of relative gameplay factors to achieve the correct feel.

Player movement is the most important factor for getting feel right, so I've looked at the base values for UT99 (GroundSpeed 440) and UT4 (GroundSpeed 940).

Gameplay Tweaks
                          • Rocket Start Speed from 1900 to 1925
                          • Rocket Max Speed from 3390 to 3420
                          • Grenade Base Speed from 1620 to 1280
                          • Grenade Max Speed from 2880 to 2140
                          • Grenade gravity scale from 0.6 to 0.5

I'm still not sure this is there (particularly for the grenades) but this seems to be heading in the correct direction.

Comment

Updating Eightball Rocket Launcher for this build.

Edit: Trident Rocket Launcher update.

Trident Updates this Version:
                            • Uses new Rocket Launcher model
                            • Customized material
                            • Custom damage classes and less overwhelming explosion effects
                            • Blueprint bug fixes for online play
                            • Now utilizes Rocket Launcher sounds from UT2004
                            • Weapon attachment now animates & lights up based on loaded rockets
                            • Reduced self-damage momentum scale from 1.2 to 0.6
                            • Rocket Speed from 2275 to 2885 (Matches relative player speed to speed of projectile. UT2004 values 440::1350. UT4 values 940::2885)
                            • Rocket Pawn Overlap radius from 10 to 7
                            Last edited by Wail; 10-04-2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Probably the spread could be a bit wider, seems fairly impossible to fit a character between, already at that kind of range I think it should start becoming possible.

Comment

This isn't a totally accurate measurement, but the values I'm using for the spread angles are set from experimentation on UT4 Deck vs. UT99 Deck. The overall spread on the Eightball is roughly in line with the spread on the UT99 Rocket Launcher, maybe a bit wider. I also made the Eightball missiles narrower than the UT4 default rockets.

Comment

Working...
                                X