Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Flak Cannon

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE (Rebel v10)<<<
    (Download Link last updated: Dec 14 2015.)

VIDEO UPDATED May 11 2015

Features of the Rebel Flak Cannon:
    Primary Fire : (Flak Standard) Shatters flak shell and expels shrapnel from the barrel
    Alternate Fire : (Flak Standard) Lobs an explosive flak shell forward in an arc

Discussion

The Rebel Flak Cannon is intended to be a hybridization between the UT99 and UT2004 Flak Cannons. Lore-wise, the weapon presented here is supposed to be a replica of the original Flak Cannons used in the Green's World Rebellion of 2267.

The overall behavioral differences with the UT4 Flak Cannon are:
    • Decreased Primary Fire shard damage (18 -> 13)
    • Decreased Primary Fire refire delay (1.0 -> 0.89)
    • Increased Primary Fire shard starting positional offset
    • Decreased Primary Fire shard spread angle
    • Flak shards have random chance to not bounce effectively
    • Flak shard velocity off of bounces reduced
    • Decreased Alt Fire shell damage (100 -> 90)
    • Increased Alt Fire shell radius and momentum
    • Reduced Flak Shard visual size (0.35 -> 0.25)
    • Reduced Flak Shard pawn overlap sphere size (10 -> 6)

At some point I will be making some faithful UT99 and UT2004 variants, but for now I'd like to get some feedback on the Rebel variation as this is geared towards making the Flak function & feel 'right' in the context of the pre-alpha currently.

Installation & Playing Instructions

There are three main ways that the Rebel Flak Cannon can be played with.
    • Download and play the Weapons Testing Arena that I have created (Direct download to map). The Weapons Testing arena is a version of DM-ASDF that features some of my custom weapons. Simply load up the map and play. On this map, the default UT4 'Flak Cannon' is replaced by the Rebel Flak Cannon. Recommended for offline players & testers!
    • Download the custom Mutator Rebel Flak Cannon Replacer that I have created. This mutator replaces all default UT4 'Flak Cannons' on a level with Rebel Flak Cannons. Recommended for Server Admins!
    • Utilize the built-in "Weapon Replacement" mutator to replace another weapon of your choice with the Sapphire Shock Rifle. To do this, first place the downloaded weapon pak into your "UnrealTournamentDev/UnrealTournament/Content/Paks" directory. Then run the game and configure the Weapon Replacement mutator, selecting the weapon you'd like to replace with the new weapon (Rebel Flak Cannon).

Server Parameters:
    Code:
    ?mutator=/Game/RebelFlakCannon/Mut_RebelFlakReplacer_v10.Mut_RebelFlakReplacer_v10_C,/Game/TridentRocketLauncher/Mut_TridentRocketReplacer_v10.Mut_TridentRocketReplacer_v10_C,/Game/StingerSequencerMinigun/Mut_SequencerMiniReplacer_v10.Mut_SequencerMiniReplacer_v10_C,/Game/SapphireShockRifle/Mut_SapphireShockReplacer_v10.Mut_SapphireShockReplacer_v10_C,/Game/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/Ripper/Mut_RipperReplacer_v10.Mut_RipperReplacer_v10_C
    As always please let me know if you have difficulties getting this working, find bugs, or just want to give feedback on the weapon.
    Last edited by Wail; 12-17-2015, 06:29 PM.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Great stuff man! I`ll test this and the ripper update tonight and post some feedback. Delighted you decided to do the flak

Comment

How does one test these paks these days btw? Since the absence of custom game settings... I guess there was a console command to open these paks but forgot how the form was for it
      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 05-11-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Yo Epic, get that flak into your next build.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
          How does one test these paks these days btw? Since the absence of custom game settings... I guess there was a console command to open these paks but forgot how the form was for it
          Unfortunately at this time you need to do some manual edits to an ini, then you can use the console to open a map with the WeaponReplacement mutator, e.g.

Code:
          open xx-xx?mutator=WeaponReplacement
          I'll see if I can find some time to write up some better instructions later on.

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Please do when you get the time, would love to test

Comment

Looks pretty much perfect to me.

Reduced spread and reduced max damage, couldn't be much better imo
              Last edited by Flikswich; 05-12-2015, 06:29 AM.
              :|

Comment

As an intermediate solution for this build, since I think it's going to be too difficult for people to test this otherwise, I've uploaded a modified version of DM-Deck that includes the Rebel Flak Cannon.

DM-Deck (w/ Rebel Flak): Download Here

In order to get this to run, drop the map into your "UnrealTournamentDev/UnrealTournament/Content/Paks" directory, and then from within the game use the console command,

Code:
                open DM-DeckRebelFlakTest

Please let me know if you have problems getting this working. If this is successful what I'll probably do is make further edits to this map to incorporate the Ripper and other weapons I've been working on, so that people can have a playground for testing them.

Comment

You've pretty much nailed it Wail, the flak requires accuracy now to hit with and the spread is refined but still powerful at mid range if aimed correctly. I'd love to see this version of the flak in the game

Comment

Nice, I certainly like this primary a lot more. Needs much more aim precision to land a shot now. However I don't know if I like the secondary, I'd rather prefer it did more damage (more than 100 maybe? or the shards that flew out of it after exploding always shot in the same direction with less spread) but had less splash damage and a lower travel speed.

IMO what we have for the official secondary is good enough, though I've noticed the shards that fly out of it after the explosion are too unreliable and rarely do damage. In UT99 if you landed the shot right in front of an enemy (but not a direct hit) the shards pretty much always hit the enemy as well.

Comment

Finally a normal flak cannon! Spread is so good as Tobe said, get this into build epic!!!

Comment

On closer inspection i'm not a fan of the change to the secondary. My main issue with it before was that it did random damage between 100 and 190 depending on how many shards hit which was more than just a little frustrating. I'd much rather see its base damage increased slightly (perhaps 110 - 120) but have the shards on the secondary dropped entirely so the damage is consistent but still rewarding when you get a nice direct hit.
                        :|

Comment

Yeah I agree about the secondary, primary feels great though

Comment

I'm not really tied to any particular values on anything. The overall weapon philosophy with the 2k4 weapons (what I tried to replicate with these values) is lower damage than the current UT's weapon philosophy. So I agree, a 90 damage Flak shell probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the rockets are doing 100 damage themselves, but it's reasonable in context of 2k4's overall values.

Comment

This is great, its a visual representation of the changes I wanted to see with UT4's flak cannon. The tighter spread is definitely needed, I thought the 2k4 flak cannon spread was pretty spot on. I don't really get the bit about flak shards sometimes just falling from the wall instead of bouncing though. I can't see the benefit of that over just reduced damage for bounced shards and having them reflect where you expect them to.
                              UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                              Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X