Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come here if you want advice on getting all challenge stars before pre-alpha is over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come here if you want advice on getting all challenge stars before pre-alpha is over

Hey, I just finished every challenge on hard mode in about 12 hours or so. I have everything fresh in my head, so if you happen to get here before this thread gets shoved to the depths of the forum, ask me questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.

And for those of you saying "what's the hurry?" here is a link to the page where you can see all of the pre-alpha exclusive gear for the early players of UT4!

https://www.unrealtournament.com/progression

Good luck!
    Last edited by Shadoninja; 10-24-2015, 11:17 PM.

Can I just have you do it for me? :P

Comment

So far I haven't been able to beat a single challenge on Hard. I'm almost done beating every challenge on Medium. The problem that I can see is the bots aim is ridiculously accurate. Do you have any general tips on racking up kills that might help me achieve victory? This aim issue is especially problematic in CTF challenges where you'll have to avoid being shot while traveling long distances.

On a side note, it isn't a tutorial unless you've somehow laid out a process for people to follow. This qualifies as a normal discussion until you mock up some methodology. Just saying
      Mulsiphix's Guide To PUGing In UT4
      What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
        Can I just have you do it for me? :P
        Nay... I don't want to stress myself out anymore lol

Originally posted by Mulsiphix View Post
        So far I haven't been able to beat a single challenge on Hard. I'm almost done beating every challenge on Medium. The problem that I can see is the bots aim is ridiculously accurate. Do you have any general tips on racking up kills that might help me achieve victory? This aim issue is especially problematic in CTF challenges where you'll have to avoid being shot while traveling long distances.

On a side note, it isn't a tutorial unless you've somehow laid out a process for people to follow. This qualifies as a normal discussion until you mock up some methodology. Just saying
        I expected the replies to build into a tutorial, but I have removed the tutorial tag for the time being.

The key to beating the hard bots' insanely good aim is to do sporadic movements during the fight. I achieve this by strafing back and forth in place by alternating the A and D keys at anywhere from 6-12 times per second. This technique shows that the bots use their target's direction and speed to lead their shots. From what I can tell, the bots do not do any averaging of your behavior, so random short movements reign supreme. The strafe spam technique leads to a pretty solid chance at changing direction after the bot shoots which will cause it to whiff completely. I have also concluded that going airborn, be it dashing or using the jump boots, always turns into a disadvantage on my end. The only time I break this rule is during rocket fights where I do the normal jump to help separate the blasts from my feet if the bot aims low.

On CTF maps, I never go for the flag. I guard the base, usually with the sniper rifle since the bots' movement is predictable when they aren't in combat. When there is a clutch situation where I have to chase down the guy with my team's flag, I spam the translocator until I reach firing range and then swap to my gun and go for the kill.
        Last edited by Shadoninja; 10-24-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

What tips do you have for TDM-Spacer? It's my last one to do on 3-star, I finished up with the hollow challenges within an hour, but this TDM-spacer, this spacer... spacer... I can't seem to keep my bots from feeding the enemy team; I provide them with shields, I provide them with armour, I control the uDamage. What am I missing?
          Last edited by Legacy-ZA; 10-25-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy-ZA View Post
            What tips do you have for TDM-Spacer? It's my last one to do on 3-star, I finished up with the hollow challenges within an hour, but this TDM-spacer, this spacer... spacer... I can't seem to keep my bots from feeding the enemy team; I provide them with shields, I provide them with armour, I control the uDamage. What am I missing?
            Spacer requires some luck, there is no denying that. But there was a solid strategy I used to consistently give myself a chance to win. I know you are saying you are controlling the U Damage, but I am going to still discuss it to make this explanation more complete:

Weapons: I used the minigun and the link gun exclusively (using the primary fire on the minigun and the secondary fire on the link gun when it made sense). I memorized their spawn points and only used other guns if I was out of ammo or didn't have a chance to get my main weapons.

Deathzone: The large open area on the side of the map below the rocket launcher spawn is a death zone. It is the area that has the chest armor. When I step foot into that area, my kdr goes to 0.2.

Circuit: The only way I could consistently be competitive was to be on a strict circuit that aimed to get every single U Damage and every single belt power up. When the spawn timers of the two items overlapped, I would focus on the U Damage and let the bots fight over the belt armor.
            • Sniping the U Damage: To get the U Damage I would go up to the top of the map just before it spawned and grab the health pickups and helmet armor and peer over the edge that hangs over the U Damage power up. Right as it spawned, I would jump down and hope for the best. Sometimes your teammates will take it from you... Follow them to make sure they don't just give it away! Worst case, you become the cannon fodder and your teammate uses up the full U Damage. Best case, they die and you get it anyway.

• Guarding the belt armor: Right as the belt power up was about to spawn, I would run to it and shuffle around the spawn platform. Sometimes, the bots ran in a straight line for the power up, so I had a much better chance of fighting them off in that situation. Again, your teammates may take it from you, but there is nothing you can really do about that. Even standing directly on the platform doesn't guarantee you will get it...

Health: Memorizing where the health pickups spawned helped a lot. I grabbed the +5's a lot when I was near where they spawned.

It was important for me to memorize how to get to the nearest weapon no matter where I spawned. This took a while, but payed off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoninja View Post
              Spacer requires some luck, there is no denying that. But there was a solid strategy I used to consistently give myself a chance to win. I know you are saying you are controlling the U Damage, but I am going to still discuss it to make this explanation more complete:
              Well, I finally made it! Yes, it does take some luck, indeed, but I found a nice strategy; I moved between the Flak Cannon and the Link-Gun (The one on the uDamage / Jump Boots side) grabbing the shield when I can, if not, I kept moving between the Flak and Link, if there were other bots around and I had a team bot using a link gun, I would power him/her up. That worked well. You can also keep an eye out for both power ups, while also being in the area where most of the enemy spawns happen. I pretty much just played with the link, but when I got into a corridor I took out my flak cannon.

Weapons: I used the minigun and the link gun exclusively (using the primary fire on the minigun and the secondary fire on the link gun when it made sense). I memorized their spawn points and only used other guns if I was out of ammo or didn't have a chance to get my main weapons.
              Like I said, I just used the Link-Gun and Flak, but mostly the link gun, it worked like a charm.

Deathzone: The large open area on the side of the map below the rocket launcher spawn is a death zone. It is the area that has the chest armor. When I step foot into that area, my kdr goes to 0.2.
              Indeed, this area is very dangerous, it's not worth sticking your neck out there, it also screws up the spawns, so my team would spawn too far away which kept the whole team fragmented.

Circuit: The only way I could consistently be competitive was to be on a strict circuit that aimed to get every single U Damage and every single belt power up. When the spawn timers of the two items overlapped, I would focus on the U Damage and let the bots fight over the belt armor.
              • Sniping the U Damage: To get the U Damage I would go up to the top of the map just before it spawned and grab the health pickups and helmet armor and peer over the edge that hangs over the U Damage power up. Right as it spawned, I would jump down and hope for the best. Sometimes your teammates will take it from you... Follow them to make sure they don't just give it away! Worst case, you become the cannon fodder and your teammate uses up the full U Damage. Best case, they die and you get it anyway.

• Guarding the belt armor: Right as the belt power up was about to spawn, I would run to it and shuffle around the spawn platform. Sometimes, the bots ran in a straight line for the power up, so I had a much better chance of fighting them off in that situation. Again, your teammates may take it from you, but there is nothing you can really do about that. Even standing directly on the platform doesn't guarantee you will get it...
              I let the bots grab the uDamage and Shield, by moving between the Link and Flak, I usually had 2 bots as backup for distractions while I take care of the enemy, they would die and I would leave the powerup for them to help them survive, the only time I took them was if and when there was no bot on my team near by, which thankfully, only happened once. I found this help them immensely.

Health: Memorizing where the health pickups spawned helped a lot. I grabbed the +5's a lot when I was near where they spawned.

It was important for me to memorize how to get to the nearest weapon no matter where I spawned. This took a while, but payed off in the end.
              Yes, health is very important; by using my strategy, I mostly always had 3x health packs available to me, by grabbing those at the bottom near the jump boots / link and the one at the top by using the jump pad @ the Flak, just take care topside, as you might get some company thanks to the rocket launcher. Another bonus is the 20+ Armour helmet there.

I thank you for the advice, it did make me re-think my strategy. I pretty much controlled the mini-gun / link gun area before, which seems to me was the problem, because you never had health packs and there was just too much traffic there to stay alive for long. ^_^

Comment

Congrats Legacy!

Comment

Thank you, hopefully, people that also struggle with Spacer will see these posts of ours and manage to grab theirs. ^_^

Comment

I'm having mad issues getting 3 stars on both DM and TDM-Spacer, I tried to follow you guys pointers, and even though they did help a bit, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't struggling. The bots catch me way to many times dropping down from Udmg to shield, and if I try to run around the air hanging those small entry holes give, they just win the power ups. Besides that if you die once and get out of the rythm it pretty much appears to be game over and restart :/
                    Streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/VertLIVE - UT4 + map creation and other games.

Comment

Yeah, Spacer is an absolutely brutal map. I've got 41 stars right now, most of the challenges aren't too bad but any TDM game where you have bot teammates you pretty much have to win alone. The only challenge I have left that isn't TDM is DM Spacer solo. It pains me to say it, but the reason the map is so bad with bots is because there are two link guns. On every other map I just camp the link and control it to prevent the enemy from getting it, but on Spacer that's not possible and so the aimbots will just rip me apart with it. It doesn't help that the map is incredibly vertical and the bots are flawless with link pull, meaning that going into the air is essentially suicide.

I'm really not having fun with this anymore, all I want is a Skaarj character model, but this is sapping my will to play.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                        Yeah, Spacer is an absolutely brutal map. I've got 41 stars right now, most of the challenges aren't too bad but any TDM game where you have bot teammates you pretty much have to win alone. The only challenge I have left that isn't TDM is DM Spacer solo. It pains me to say it, but the reason the map is so bad with bots is because there are two link guns. On every other map I just camp the link and control it to prevent the enemy from getting it, but on Spacer that's not possible and so the aimbots will just rip me apart with it. It doesn't help that the map is incredibly vertical and the bots are flawless with link pull, meaning that going into the air is essentially suicide.

I'm really not having fun with this anymore, all I want is a Skaarj character model, but this is sapping my will to play.
                        Not that I entirely disagree, but the match i won tdm-spacer, dominator was ahead of me by few frags. Though I linked up with him few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertical1337 View Post
                          I'm having mad issues getting 3 stars on both DM and TDM-Spacer, I tried to follow you guys pointers, and even though they did help a bit, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't struggling. The bots catch me way to many times dropping down from Udmg to shield, and if I try to run around the air hanging those small entry holes give, they just win the power ups. Besides that if you die once and get out of the rythm it pretty much appears to be game over and restart :/

Are you implementing any juking strategies like the one I outlined in my first reply to this thread? It doubled my survival time during fights. And yes, the bots wrecked me when dropping down for the uDamage. I also felt like losing rhythm almost guaranteed a restart was required. Even losing a single uDamage to the enemy can result in a landslide defeat, though. You have to get your team in control of it the entire match.

Originally posted by aniviron View Post

I agree that going vertical at all is a bad idea. The jump boots actually hurt me more than they help me about 90% of the time

Comment

I'm level 12, how do I get level 40 fast ? I love skaarjs, and orange looks cool.

Comment

Getting real sick of grinding this out, just feels awful. Only three maps left, and two of them are Spacer. Doesn't matter how well I do. Solo is impossible, I can do 30 frags and 15 deaths and every single time Skakruk opens up a can of whoopass and gets 45 kills and 10 deaths. He walks into a room with me and the other four bots with a link gun, three seconds later the five of us are vapor and he has a killing spree.

I can take Loque in the 1v1 on Lea, was easy, first try. Clanlord is my *****. Malcolm wishes he could compete with me. But mother****ing ******* Skakruk is just too aimbotty, I can't deal with him and neither can the other bots.

Team deathmatch is even worse. We can get 90% of the belts and amps, I can pull a 2kd, and we still lose by 30 frags.

I hate Spacer. I hate it so much. I honestly can't think of a time I've ever enjoyed UT less than this, but here I am because it's the only way to unlock a character model if you don't have 60 hours to grind out level 30 online.

Comment

Working...
                              X