First Impressions from a New player!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Impressions from a New player!

First impressions mixed with a bit of what i like and don't like or didn't make sense, I mostly played CSGO and Quake in recent years and will be making comparisons to many games so if your one of the people who dismisses or can't handle comparisons between games then read no more. My writing my be bad and all over the place so i apologize for this, disclaimer i only have about 10 online games listed which totals 1 hour. Pretty sure the ones with too many bots didn't count but i also have more then a hour on bot games and tutorial maps checking stuff out.

General feeling is nice, the game is flowing and fast paced you are constantly finding action and trying to get frags without players spawning right behind you. Further more on the spawning so far there has been no feelings of being spawn killed much less then many games where it starts to become constant. I generally have got to a decent weapon after spawning in most of the times without having to get in heavy Enforcer combat, at least not at close range which could be due to the player amount and or map size that usually has most people i see on spawn already busy fighting someone else whether its right in front of me or in the distance outside of most weapons range.

I have managed to get somewhat stacked a few times (100 hp 100 armor, multiple weapons of value) and gone on mad killing sprees but never in the position to dominate for a lengthy period of time or get dominated, this is probably more to do with skill level but at same time it feels like map and game designs have mostly done a good job.

Most importantly to sum up the above text is that there was not any moments i really wanted to rage because of the core game design or lack of, i could go on about loose feelings and info for another dozen paragraphs but ill skip that and go straight to random bullet points.

Weapons
    - ill do a quick opinion on the weapons in order of them in tutorial

Enforcer
    - decent rate of fire and damage, can easily kill weak enemies after spawning in, feels like it becomes stupid inaccurate after spamming more then half a clip, the bullets start to fly in crazy directions, this was only seen on epic graphics which i can't even see the bullets travel on all low

Impact Hammer
    - really hard weapon to use, from tests its not great weapon unless you charge it near full which takes valuable time and then i found it quite impossible to hit in real time game play, i presume it shots out a small AOE but i feel its far too tiny and the max distance is also far too small, right click as well i found impossible to use in a game, obviously it made sense and worked well in tutorial but couldn't get it going in a game

Link Gun - being a LG ***** in Quake i feel this gun will be a lot of players preference, the Left click similar to Quakes Plasma gun is quite good to use,
    as well as the right click, both were good in terms of speed and damage out put, can see this used in many situations, i would of preferred the Left and Right click reversed but only cause i feel the stream will be used more then the balls

Stinger Minigun - After this takes a moment to speed up the damage output and accuracy is good making it very viable when competing with other weapons, this my be the best medium range weapon in the game after people find the limits of other weapons.

Shock Rifle - Basic long range weapon like Rail gun with a very nice Right click use, i see many people using it at close right (the Right click) without exploding it with Left click and so far its been viable for them, Wickland the game had a cool feature basically the same except the Left click was that of Quakes Lightning Gun and the Right click made a circular wall rather then dome, i assume Wickland copied earlier version of UT?

Bio Rifle - Not big on this weapon, i have got plenty of random kills with it but most are other players randomly walking on left goo rather then focused fire on a target, probably has its purpose in certain game modes or maps or when weapons are hard to come by

Rocket Launcher - I feel this is one of the better done weapons in this game, feels like the splash damage isn't as strong as other games take on the weapon combined with the slower projectile speed making this a strong and preferred weapon but still balanced at the same time, reminds me how much more i like the Rocket Launcher in Reflex compared to Quake

Flak Cannon - Nice strong Shot Gun style weapon that falls off at perfect range but still capable of finishing very weak players at range, with the game speed of TDM have not got much use out of the Right click yet but it should be good for Duel choke points and running perhaps when the play is without Rocket Launcher

Translocator - Have not had a whole bunch of game time with it mostly cause its not on all maps/ game modes or just much harder to find, but the concept and use is really cool and will probably shape many fights with fast reactions and tricky play, i definitely saw a bunch of players using this well

Sniper Rifle - Good Rail style Left click like the Shock Rifle, Right click scope feature for the long maps or those who like that kind of thing, i like how the zoom level depends on how long you hold it giving the user precise range control of the scope

Redeemer - Crazy weapon not seen in game yet, i presume it will be super rare and only in certain modes or maps, to be decided at a later date when i know more

I didn't cover both Left and Right click on all weapons due to experience and functionality that presented itself from my current experiences with the game, if you want to mention something i missed and should really check out feel free

Good -

- game play in general was good, won't go into huge amounts of detail on this because it is pretty self explained for anyone who has played Arena FPS games before, excluding this will make the good section rather small

- Sliding and dodging made certain players in situations which would of been a free frag very hard to kill and often a threat, even though its really hard to use and remember that its an option for new players it hopefully will be done with user ease in mind equally to that of functionality.

Bad -

- While i said the map design and layout provided mostly good situations for the players there were a few maps that had worrying item layout, I can't remember the names so ill just say some stuff that might not make sense. The Rocket Launcher and Link Gun were pretty much in the rooms next to each other on one map with a small corridor connecting directly to each other good for whoever gets both weapons, bad for whoever fights that player.
    Other map had the Bio Rifle right near the Flak Cannon which is fine but going one way presented a 50+ meter hallway with a Sniper Rifle on the other side while the other was the absolute middle of the map on a middle level making you vulnerable from half dozen places, was very confusing constantly spawning here and trying to get to the next weapon on the map let alone having to fight someone in a better established position with a better weapon. Think the Shock Rifle was close behind boxes too but still very confusing place to be almost forcing you to go for the Shock Rifle and camp. Experience would probably change this opinion.

I can say thankfully that even though i noticed a few things that i didn't think made sense i also noticed some maps had certain weapons of value like the Rocket Launcher in spots where i hardly went based on the flow of the map making the high value weapon something you might have to seek rather then be given. This was apparent on a certain map where i hardly got a Rocket Launcher and was hardly fired on from one. I know all this is subject to change from balance and design tests but i just throwing it out there. When i played all the maps dozens of times and know all the names and such i will go into further detail on all of the above but for now just a observation.

- The wall running was good i just found the jumping off it to be a bit strange with the fingers tapping A / D obviously this wouldn't be a problem for a experienced player but it was for me to the point i hardly use wall run and neither have many of the players i seen so far, it would be nice to double tap space bar to do perhaps a weaker jump off the wall but much easier to comprehend and learn at first.

- Amount of keys i would need to have bound to play on a high level is near too many, forget the pros and such Arena FPS games are not popular mostly due to the insane skill ceiling and complexity making the experience for a new player, The various movement buttons are quite hard to use and get used to as a new player
    with all the various dodge slide buttons, have no real idea how to simplify this (not saying it should be) but hopefully i can get a key setup for better use, dont remember pressing Shift or CTRL at all so maybe i need to investigate what those buttons do and consider moving slide and dodge if they are free.

Continued on the amount of keys is the weapon binds, 11 weapons from what i can see in the tutorial which is a huge amount and even more when you consider unique Left and Right clicks, this probably is managed by that im guessing certain weapons are specific to game modes? Not sure but i don't see the same weapons in all modes.

So far this is what i got 1 = Rocket Launche r 2 = S hock Rifle 3 = Link Gun 4 = Sniper Rifle 5 = Stinger Minigun Q = Translocator E = Enforcer R = Flak Cannon, rest are currently unbound but if i could move a few keys as i mentioned above i could probably add F G C V maybe. I don't use mouse buttons cause my aim would suffer too much in my case but i can easily see people managing once they go through the learning phase.

- One of the last and biggest issues i had was the Icons of Weapons and Health/Armor Ammo and such, hopefully they become a little bit more simplified and clear on what is what or what does what, not a issue for players with experience and time played but my biggest concern is it being too annoying and hard for players in the first few hours.

You can say what you want about simplifying stuff for new players but i hate the best games being the least populated due to a few key ideas or issues that wouldn't affect the Veterans much at all but would mean the world to others.

I hope to get my CTF game time played but its boring when your playing 5v5 or 6v6 and only 2 players on each side are actual players and the rest bots.

I was going to check grammar and spelling and make sure this was understandable but now its a wall of text ill just press submit

Add me on Steam if you want to play in Europe http://steamcommunity.com/id/StillBlaze/ or if you are a UT Vet from anywhere who likes random chatter on game play, play style and general theory i could really use someone who is ok with answering a bunch of noob questions as a Example i am still unsure what does more Left click damage the Shock Rifle or Sniper Rifle
    Last edited by StillBlaze; 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM.

Interesting write up. I'd be even more interested to see how your opinion of the game mechanics changes after 10 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours etc.

Welcome to forums 8)

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
      Interesting write up. I'd be even more interested to see how your opinion of the game mechanics changes after 10 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours etc.

Welcome to forums 8)
      Thanks, i plan on doing a look back after 10-20 more hours. One thing im curious to find out is if there is a leap jump or wall jump from other Unreal Engine games, where you press for example shift then ctrl and leap forward similar to dodge but faster and further and the wall jump like Wickland where you shift ctrl jump towards the wall then back off it really fast. Toxik and Wickland are games that come to mind that had that feature.

So many games to play so little time.

Comment

- One of the last and biggest issues i had was the Icons of Weapons and Health/Armor Ammo and such, hopefully they become a little bit more simplified and clear on what is what or what does what, not a issue for players with experience and time played but my biggest concern is it being too annoying and hard for players in the first few hours.
        Can you explain your problem ? I'm not a fan of UT HUD, but idk why xD

Comment

Originally posted by N1uby View Post
          Can you explain your problem ? I'm not a fan of UT HUD, but idk why xD
          Sorry i should of been more clear on the actual in game textures and icons, the two big examples without much thought are the Health Packs and Rocket Ammo. The Health packs took me a few games to figure out what they were, they do have the plus + sign which is universal for medical but with all the extra shape and metal added to the models it didn't scream Health Packs here pick me up! Again issues not so big for a experienced player but in 2015 many players will play a game less then a hour or even 2 maps before they say "this is ****"

The Rocket Ammo as well from what i recall didn't reflect Rocket Ammo at all, with the Ammo usually to the side you have to move a couple seconds off optimal path to pick them up, again nothing crazy for Veterans but still something i would of taken more notice of sooner if it made sense.

Weapons look quite similar to the point at range dropped weapons are often not distinguished either to average person until they get close and directly look at them, again something you don't want to have a new player confused about.

As a somewhat experienced Arena Shooter player stuff that i can guess and figure out in minimal could take new players hours and hours to the point where they give up before getting a basic understanding of the game, most new players will be overwhelmed by the speed of the game which is the strength of these shooters, but still at the same time they tunnel vision and focus on enemies and constantly firing there weapon which is part of the reason why they may not be able to stop for a moment and figure out some of the basics which brings me to my point of the icons being a bit hard to understand at first look.

Everything said might sound pitty and nit picking but do not under estimate how important the first 30 minutes of a new player playing a game is, most players with no real knowledge of the game will make up their minds real quick and quite often not give the game a real chance.

Comment

Welcome to the Unreal Tournament community, Stillblaze. It's great to read the impressions of someone who's never played a UT game before. Were you aware that Unreal Tournament, as a gaming franchise, existed before you tried the new UT game? What sorts of things had you heard about the Unreal Tournament franchise?
            UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

To be really honest, I agree with Stillblaze regarding the icons of weapons in the right of your screen. Since I am playing with hidden weapon, I don't see properly which weapon I have and how much ammo left.

In my opinion ut2k4 (bottom of the screen) was much more clear.

Can you make smth to improve that?

Comment

That's interesting to see someone give unbiased rating to most popular UT map. I am even wondering if we give UT to aliens or people who never heard about UT, what maps will become most popular? Will it be still Deck and CTF-Face?
                My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

Comment

Great feedback, very interesting to read.
                  Keep us updated after more played hours.

Comment

Originally posted by hij0n View Post
                    To be really honest, I agree with Stillblaze regarding the icons of weapons in the right of your screen. Since I am playing with hidden weapon, I don't see properly which weapon I have and how much ammo left.
                    That area definitely needs help. I was fine with the UT99 weapons bar. If they could just take those icons and the design of the ammo counter and use them in the new vertical bar, that would be great.
                    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                      Welcome to the Unreal Tournament community, Stillblaze. It's great to read the impressions of someone who's never played a UT game before. Were you aware that Unreal Tournament, as a gaming franchise, existed before you tried the new UT game? What sorts of things had you heard about the Unreal Tournament franchise?
                      I have played UT for a couple of weeks in 2002 as a kid before there was copy write protection, we just shared a CD between a few dozen of us, no real memory of game or game play other then i recognized "Facing Worlds" Instantly. As far as the reputation of UT franchise a large amount of people simply say that "its not Quake" I know a bunch of people who prefer UT but their all waiting for this game rather then playing an older version. It is hard to get even Global Elite (highest rank) CSGO players to play Quake for more then a hour before submitting to its difficulty, i do believe UT would be much more interesting and simple to get into for them with some of the stuff i mentioned in OP.

Originally posted by hij0n View Post

In my opinion ut2k4 (bottom of the screen) was much more clear.

Can you make smth to improve that?
                      Yeh i didn't put much thought into the HUD icons because like i said the game is so fast sometimes you don't have time to think about stuff like this, now that you mention this i know this would of been a huge issue if i didn't do tutorial first and already understand most of the weapons from other Arena FPS games.

Originally posted by RNGuy View Post
                      That's interesting to see someone give unbiased rating to most popular UT map. I am even wondering if we give UT to aliens or people who never heard about UT, what maps will become most popular? Will it be still Deck and CTF-Face?
                      Best TDM maps so far are without a doubt "Outpost23" "Lea" and "Vortex" mind you i have only played about half of the total maps, i am hoping to play earlier tonight so i can see if CTF is more populated then previous nights i tried late night.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see what you, as a new player, think of zaccubus' tutorials. Do they cover things that you find useful? do they help you in areas that you might struggle to master without them? are there any topic that you think should be covered in more detail? etc. Suggestions about these kind of things are really useful from a player with your perspective.

Links: https://www.youtube.com/user/zaccubus/videos
                        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...8-UT-Tutorials
                        :|

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                          It'd be interesting to see what you, as a new player, think of zaccubus' tutorials. Do they cover things that you find useful? do they help you in areas that you might struggle to master without them? are there any topic that you think should be covered in more detail? etc. Suggestions about these kind of things are really useful from a player with your perspective.

Links: https://www.youtube.com/user/zaccubus/videos
                          https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...8-UT-Tutorials
                          I happened to find them very soon after starting with UT this April/May and they helped me a LOT. I felt that thanks to these I started with upper beginner game knowledge and not just a complete newbie. Even though I was loosing a lot (even today), it helped me to feel a bit more confident in-game thanks to knowledge of some tricks which could take at least other beginners by surprise.

Really appreciated tutorials even though some of them might be outdated by now.

Comment

Well FWIW your confusion about the rocket ammo and health packs will probably get cleared up, those are placeholder models from UT3, which had pretty bad visual design clarity.

Definitely agree with you about dodging off a wall while wallrunning, and it's something I haven't seen anyone else bring up on these forums. It's a big reason I don't wallrun much, but I thought I was the only one.

Agree about weapon switching as well; there was something called piped weapon switching in UT2004 that I haven't checked to see if UT4 supports yet, but the idea is essentially you can bind two or three weapons to one key, i.e. q = transloc/impact hammer, e = minigun/link, r = flak/bio, etc. Then you can hit q once for transloc and twice for impact, so you can keep all your weapon binds close and lose only a very tiny millisecond as the second keypress registers if you need to hit it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                              Definitely agree with you about dodging off a wall while wallrunning, and it's something I haven't seen anyone else bring up on these forums. It's a big reason I don't wallrun much, but I thought I was the only one.
                              Yeah, dodging works pretty well on the ground, but being able to change direction in midair and move away from the wall while trying to jump off it plus the already somewhat tricky wallrunning make the timing window way too small. I remember a skill token in the movement tutorial where you need to wall jump off a column on your left to reach a platform that's too far away to reach otherwise. I had the game set to half-speed to try and see if I could just figure out the mechanic and it took me 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X