My two cents (from experienced player)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents (from experienced player)

This is დდდMaN i have been holding back to write some of my conclusions on current game until i hit golden rankings at least in dm ctf and played some duel. i have been more or less keeping up with top eu ctf community and playing for 2 months now and having played all previous ut series games i would like to write down my thoughts on basically everything so tl'dr coming.

weapons:

1. impact hammer. it is okay on primary fire mode, but i do not understand why increase base jump dmg to 25 and also why does it not take hp relative the charge and skips to 40 after you have hold the charge button can it not take like 30 hp at some point at 75% charge? Secondary fire i am not quite frankly the fan of this poor mans shield gun thing. either it needs to go further or be larger or better fire rate. i suppose we could have an alternative of it shooting a square shaped force field that would appear withing 2 3 meters of the shooter and hold for 2 seconds like impenetrable shield, that way you can plan ahead where to put it when making a move after being respawned. dno folks if u got better ideas elaborate.

2.Enforcer. i can never understand what people are moaning about right now, as far as enforcers go it is nearly perfectly done. in no way it is under powered if you know how to use it (clue ut99 bots) and alt fire is strong close range tool just do not move your aim around when shooting it or it will be terribly inaccurate as it should be. what do you want respawn with flak? now my thoughts on starter weapon was something else like small plasma beam rail gun. this would be a weapon that can shoot out a beam like shaft that does half the dps as of link gun with slightly longer reach and as an alt fire it can charge up a plasma ball (color blue both fire modes) that is relatively slow moving and can do up to 70 dmg like 2004 ar granade. now this way double wielding it would be very powerful weapon and still useful weapon as for freshly respawned player. now alt fire would be something like classic ut99 charge up weapons or unreal awakening dispersion pistol but faster moving like ling primary speed or slower than that but larger plasma ball. dno just random thoughts.

3.bio rifle. okay you never see anyone using this weapon and for some legal reasons now it does not even shoot where you aim it and has random spread because lets make real tournament right? it is an iconic weapon and featured in a lot of frag movies but we all know it lacks functionality, maybe it is time to move forward with it? perhaps a decent ripper or the gun i described as enforcer alternative could fit in. my thoughts on ripper though if it makes it to game, get rid of the randomness that is ricochates and headshoting abbility.

4.shock rifle. I am the person who is biggest fan of 2004 and as you can see i am not moaning about making it another ut2004 and i am also big fan of ut99 started playing when i was 10 and have lots of memories from all the games besides ut3 ... i pretend to never have seen that abomination of the game. So UT4 devs have finally introduced the best balanced shock in the game, that is not single handedly the best all around weapon.... but it is also not much fun any more and there are a few reasons. first of all making it do 40 instead of 45 but engine can not deal with calculating numbers (joke) is not an awesome idea at all. secondly animation looks **** poor ut3 stile a thin beam that does not feel powerful and is not pleasing at all when delivering a hit ( and as 2004 player i hated how our shock had so much pin back power it was really the biggest flaw of ut2004) make the beam thicker and different please at least make this weapon visually appealing, i do not care if it does 40 dmg and is harder to hit in row now, it is a good thing that you can not count on hitting opponent 5-6 times in a row now my third concern would be shock core dmg and speed. now this has been highlighted multiple times some sprinting players seem to ****ing outrun shock core, how slow is that? instead of increasing some ammo usage and irrelevant stuff like that. Make it do less damage but give us abbility to deliver combos while still heavily moving around and lets us have our ammo. forcing us into using enforcer is not cool -)

5.link gun. as much as i adore this weapon (99 priamry was bad 2004 shaft was simply bad animation) the flaws have been highlighted. remove link pull.... leave the grounding effect on it like in 2004. my biggest concern is to why primary is so easy to hit in this UT installment. I am not saying this is too bad but it does a lot of dmg in short time and it has never been as easy to hit for some reason. all this little flaws and what i will highlight further down really destroy combat fluidness in this game ( disclaimer pre alpha)

6.stinger. well well well who do we have here. lets look at successful uts 99 had minigun 2004 had minigun who had stinger? yeah mfin UT3 :v on the serious not i do not understand why people think stinger primary is op. it is where it always was and is fine, however alt fire.... where do i start it is basically like holding ut2004 shock rifle with high ping. this thing has german pinrape power it pushes back more than flak rocket or shock pirmary hit? seriously? and does more damage then shock with what same fire rate? this thing is broken simple as that, i have no idea how to fix it but as i have mentioned above miniguns were providing alt fire as something slower fire rate but higher accuracy. simple and boring but worked better than shards... miles better.

7. flak canon. oh gawd <3 absolutely perfect visually but the dmg output is nuts. there is absolutely no reason why one shall be one shotted in 100h 150a or even in 100h 100a without double dmg aremd opponent. i mean 250 damage? as community has been moaning about it for all this 2 months i have witnessed this is easily the go to gun now. Also what is the reasoning behind flak shell doing less damage then flak shards? 160? looks a bit over the top i mean it is not a direct hit fire mode anyways so what do we have spread wise? terrible experience both 99 and 2004 flak shells were delight to use and precise shots would eliminate runing opponent or be used as arial denial, but now due to some weird problems with splash dmg in ut4 it is totally underused due to it being so bad on splash explosion, when shell breaks into shards it needs some work people.

8. rocket luncher. all the people who say rockets are too fast are probably nuts or coming from cod. i don't know it looks near perfect to me, not a big fan of 100 direct hit dmg but to hell with it, as flask shell it is not direct hit weapon, which brings up the splash dmg and mechanics up once again. it is not working properly.. rockets are used to be hard to hit and precise shots into the feet of opponent and throwing them away, gives skilled player chance to land consecutive rocket shots easily and rocket hits also throw away opponents aim, which is what rocket should be, but atm splash looks too small for its own good. As to alt fire , it did not work guys. it did not. move on to some old fixed spread pattern of 3 rox or come up with something fresh that will work better.

9. Sniper oh lord give us lg. it is visually fine but the shot sounds have been going nuts with recent build it sounds like pneumatic pistol now. dmg and fire rate are fine!

not gonna talk redeemer and translactor just what ever. we all know redeemer does not belong in competitive play anyway.
    Last edited by HexxuSz0r; 11-21-2015, 04:36 PM.

now i am going to talk about other things in game besides weapons. First of all a lot of trouble is caused by lack of the good maps so people be patient. it is a new game and only new maps will come strong, remade maps will be decent but not a single new ut title has ever gotten what was earlier game title's best maps right.

So let us talk movement now. as an 2004 player to hell with double jump and dodge jump it clearly rendered rockets near useless and flak primary hard to hit. this movement mechanics look better aside from sprinting (it is moronic just personal opinion) i have problems with how fast feet have to move due to small player models covering really large distances it really makes my eyes bleed, and also why are we allowed to sort of change direction when inside the roll? if i roll left and then press right i shall not be able to prevent or decrease the speed i am going left with. from fps view movement looks very fluid and fun but somehow, when aiming at opponents it is a terrific experience, while flak is easy to land shock primary has become really hard to utilize as where it belongs and it is meant to be going toe to toe vs minigun and link shaft but it is very very hard therefore underused.

golden rules for map makers (according to me : > )

When making a duell map: break it down to what ut weapon balance is. corresponding weapons are as it goes link and stinger. flak and rockets sniper and shock. and then there is bio which u just put wherever u want, nobody wants it anyway. now when making a map please consider putting corresponding weapons, rather far apart especially avoid putting sniper and shock close. they will do well furthest apart on the map. also robbing respawned player from the change of getting close quarters weapon is very bad idea. for example asdf does this very well. perhaps if shock was above belt it would be also well distanced from sniper. my second point would be to not go so armor heavy and give players vials. this is and underrated tool which creates better game experience. currently maps seem dry of health vials, helmet is not necessarily a duel thing and also always having belt and armor and tigh pads make game so armor heavy.... it is sad, but against current dps capabilities it is hard to survive even at 150 150 stack. talking of stacks armors do not add up above 150 that is why vials are such viable tool to keep 1v1 fresh and also vials are the real creators of stack in long run, current amount of armors +belt really go up to max real fast. there are a lot of complaints about current armor system and i got to say i do not like it a lot either.

CTF maps. two things guys. no 2 udamages on map it shall be a power up that spawns in the mid and teams have to fight over it. second one no redeemers please for the love of god (ofc if you are making just some map not a reall good one just put there whatever the **** maybe shark filled acid pool in the mid with tiny bridges over it. whatever) i would like to ask ctf lance creator, what was your idea with so much asymmetry and swimming heavy map? because other than mid map looks fine.

For tdm maps apply duel maps with more vials and always have enforcer ans spawning weapon, still better than bio ha? : )

what now. i guess i will start highlighting few concerns i have. weapon bar as said many times is absolutely useless. takes up right side of the screen and low ammo flashing indicator is not there. just plain bad lets go back to 99 2004 it was fine, do not reinvent the wheel please or just give us customizable hud setting and whoever likes this current abomination can stick with it. Udamage as dropping power up, who thinks this is a good idea? it literally nullifies the effort u might make to steal it from enemy team so they do not get it. Also lets say you have won over udamage and you are low, you take out sniper miss one shot and someone puts 2 enforcer shots into you and now your healthy enemy is running around with sniper and udamage, really? nobody fears udamage player any more, hey lets just go kill him to grab it for ourselves policy is not good. and do not even get me started on teams sometimes having 2 udamages on titanpass ****ing overkill. Now i am not gonna talk about how much bull**** you encounter during duel because of all the problems with flak shock and rockets and stinger shards and link primary. it basically goes like welcome to duel where control is not real and stacks are imaginary. CTF excels at the moment because primary objective of the game is to get the flag across not to frag as much as possible, and that masks a lot of gimmicky bs that comes with current combat dynamics.

All and all i know it is hard to progress on all the things, but current focus of epic is rather dubious they keep fixing spectator modes, instead of trying to get the combat right, because everything will follow up nicely when you have the combat mechanics down. Maps will come along and we will be all covered in sweet sugar, i have faith in this project but fairly it is very slow on its feet to where it needs to progress and pretty rapid in the fields that are mildly relevant.
    Last edited by HexxuSz0r; 11-21-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I'll add some of my views on here too. I've played for about 3 weeks.

1. Impact Hammer - I still don't know what the alt fire does - sounds from above it's a reactionary shield? The main use of the IH is jumps (although I don't use them), but maybe they should be low powered, or alt fire is a quick jump?
      2. Enforcers - I think they're fine too. It's not that difficult to get off 3 or 4 hits on someone, which can be enough to finish someone off but not enough that you're dying left right and center from newly spawned individuals. The dual enforcers are very powerful and I notice that enforcers are dropped a lot more now. I'll be trying to use this more
      3. Bio Rifle - I think it's been a poor weapon since UT99. Always annoying to die from the alt fire and primary fire seems random. Now it works best by holding both buttons down and hoping that one of the moving globs hits someone. I think it's time to replace this weapon!
      4. Shock Rifle - The closest combo that you can do is too far in my view. There are lots of situations where someone is at the start of medium range and you go for the combo and the shock ball hits the wall before you can fire. It doesn't need to be as close as UT99, but does need to be 10-20% closer.
      5. Link gun - This weapon is over-powered. I find it's really easy to aim and kills people so quickly. You obviously have to be in close range and are vulnerable to a quick flak and rocket hit, but if you survive that you can usually win. The pull effect serves to put off your opponent. It's hardest to use when another friendly player is round and the beam fires on them. I've not seen anyone use the pull on a teammate yet. Primary fire is too powerful as well - it's a spam weapon at long or very close range and does too much damage and should be cut down by 20-30%.
      6. Stinger - Seems Ok. It's not overly powerful and the alt fire is ok for firing when someone is escaping or chasing.
      7. Flak - This one does seem too powerful too. There are lots and lots of 1 shot kills with this weapon. Perhaps the starting point of the shards is too wide.
      8. Rockets - The rockets were usually a splash damage weapon. This is good because UT had instant hit, minigun style, shock combos, flak and then wall/floor shots with the rockets (and bio ). All adding to the variety of types of kills. Splash damage does seem to be too weak and I find that it's more effective to try to hit the opponent directly with it. The alt fire is also the cause of many suicides for me! The slight lag that each rocket has when being released (including the first) means that when firing and dodging back behind a wall results in death too often. It's a nice idea so that you can control the spread of the 3 rockets, but that delay is a pain.
      9. Sniper is good. Maybe it could be updated to something more futuristic/less generic. I like the red circles for the headshots whilst zooming - this adds extra incentive to use the scope as I very rarely used the scope in previous versions of the game.
      10. Redeemer - whilst this is always an annoying weapon, it's good for newer players but I think the radius of the explosion needs to be highlighted as in previous version. It's hard to tell where the blast ends at the moment.

I think the wall running, multi-wall dodge stuff and sliding are good additions and I see a few players have mastered it and it makes for entertaining viewing and more variety in play. I like that they've ditched the double jump.

The core game is very good. The end-of-game user interface needs a lot of work, but there's a lot of data there that could just be presented in a more friendly manner. At the moment, it's frustrating to not be able to see stats before they disappear or to actually chat at the end of the game or even to leave the game at the end!

I was impressed with all of the replay and spectator facilities. Its nice to be able to go back and watch a game straight away from all players and the new mini-map is good (but would be nice to limit it's scale on larger maps).

The ranking system is also influencing the balance of games by rewarding good players for joining the winning side (or not switching). This is no good for anyone as the losing side doesn't enjoy it and a normal person that enjoys a challenge on the winning side gets bored.

Stability of the game seems good for me. FPS are good and pings are good. So whilst it's a "pre-alpha", it feels more like a beta but missing some of the game types. That's a good sign and I'm happy with how it's going overall so far.
      Last edited by Smurgl; 11-21-2015, 10:53 AM.
      Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

I read most of what was written and agree with some but not all. I would just like to point out that the impact hammer secondary is disgustingly easy to abuse and needs to be removed from the game entirely because it serves literally no purpose other than to ruin the flow and make the game significantly less enjoyable and satisfying. Also flak secondary is op.
        :|

Comment

i was trying to encourage people to sort of do the same kind of my two cents series out of which the most commonly outlined nuisances will be noticed by devs and taken into account.

Comment

bio tbh i can play solid with bio rifle but i agree that primary seems kinda useless.
            either i go with full up secondary or i do those fast small balls with 3rd fire option to try to get dmg and end with a kill when other goo follows enemy.

shock combo isnt as close as it was before but thats done for balance. i guess competitive guys said it was too good before.

link seems ok even though i am not big fan of that pull

flak damage could be lowered on that primary

rockets, even though many would like to maybe make it not 1 shot kill i think it should stay like this and it was like that in previous versions.
            its still a rocket and should kill in middle of your body unless you have armor or more health. speed can be easily fixed later personally i dont mind it as it is now.

and sniper sound could be bit more powerfull and thats about it

Comment

Hello everybody,
              as players are supposed to give feedback I will try to do so here and use the opportunity to introduce myself and try to find a sparring partner.
              I am from the heart of Bavaria/Southern Germany and I have transitioned over from UT99 about four weeks ago because ut99 had become such a diva when it comes to running on new PCs. I had managed to tweak it over the last years (I started playing in 2010) but then either my graphics card died or sth. else happened. I then bought a whole new PC just because of UT4 (so yes, Nvidia, go and sponsor the game! ). Another reason was that I wanted to be part of / wanted to experience the development of a new game (community).
              I had played ut99 quite a lot the last 5 years (almost every day) and would describe me as a “very ambitious amateur” but have never been involved with the community until it became almost impossible to play on public servers because I was accused of cheating all the time. I then found the globalunreal/ownedwell community and, as a result (after advice) invested a lot of money in screen and keyboard and somehow became more and more of a instagib player (although I did not play pugs because I had the impression that it took forever to fill one on a weekday’s evening).
              After transitioning over to ut4 I decided that I actually wanted to be a NW player and, as a result changed my settings more to NW settings which is why I now hit almost nothing anymore and I am constantly concerned about my fov and mouse sens settings because I do not know what is right
              So here is some general feedback:
              Movement:
              1. I really like the movement concept in Ut4, to me it seems like a nice compromise between ut99 and 2004. One tap dodge is a good idea. But how about to make single tap wall dodge occur only when using the single tap dodge butto? This would prevent me from bouncing around between the walls in a narrow area when using air control!
              2. I would really love to see an option to disable sliding altogether or to, even better, to bind it to a own key (I love to crouch from dodging and now I slide all the time, but maybe I just need adjustment time)
              3. I love the jump boot solution with the double tab. No need for walk bind any more. Well done! Don’t know what to think about t mid air activation. For my taste (well,as a former ut99 player I need to learn all the wall dodging, sliding etc), it is just too much in the movement box.
              4. Sprinting. OMG, please not.

Weapons:
              As a ut99 player , you all know what is coming I would love to see hitscan weapons to be more powerful as, in my opinion, they also need more skill to master. I think the rockets (faster as in ut99?) and flak are op in ut4. But now, one by one:
              1. Translocator: One of my most important pleas to epic what should be changed is: I have bound my translocator to the mouse wheel and if I spin it too far, it will switch to the translocator and BACK to the weapon I had (right?). I really cannot stand this. I am blowing myself up all the time. I really would favor a solution as was in ut2004 (there was sth with pressing two mouse buttons or sth).
              2. Impact hammer. I think the secondary fire is a nice compromise to retains some of the concepts we have see in ut2004 and ut3. I never liked it in this game because it made the game somehow slower /passive <- is this the right word? I would really love to see the primary fire to load quicker, so that it is easier to do quick suprising jumps in combat (eg when fighting over the belt on deck). Think about what bleh was pulling off in some duels on deck. Would love to see this in the future.
              3. Enforcer: Well, unprecise when rapid firing. Guess it is ok, and I just must accept that it is different to ut99
              4. Bio: Moving goo. Not quite sure what to think of it.
              5. Shock: Well, I played ut99 a lot, so guess. But I totally understand the need for balancing, sigh
              6. Pulse: I think primary is too fast. The difference to the stinger is too small now. I always saw the primary as a means for crossfire in team games.
              7. Mini: Better than in ut99, it is nice to have a secondary fire much more different than it was in ut99. I understand that many people see it op now. Why does it have the huge pushback in comparison to shock?
              8. Flak: I like the fact that secondary does not shard that much anymore, which makes the two modes much more different and one has really decide more when to use which. I general same opinion as R.Riddick. I also do not like the sound, it is not “shardy” or metal like enough. Needs more screeching. I also have the impression that the primary mode behaves too much like rubber projectiles / bounce balls. I think the way is was in ut99 was just perfect.
              9. Rockets. I have the impression that they are a little too fast, making them too effective at mid ranges. Is the spash damage pretty low? Would love to see it bigger. When it comes to firing modes, I do not understand why there is not just the solution we had in ut99. That was perfect. Push back seems also lower now. Two consecutive hits can be achieved two ways: Either rockets are fast or pushback/liftoff of enemy after first hit with enough of it for skilled player to hit second hit. I prefer the second solution because it is more dynamic. I do not like that when firing multiple rockets the do not line up nicely. I blow myself up on ledges etc just because one rockets decides to travel lower than the others. When it comes to this: Same opinion as R. Riddick.
              10. Sniper. I really think the weapons needs a better bang sound. And, you know I used to play ut99 a lot so I miss hitting many hs
              11. Redeemer. Who needs it? It does not belong here.

In general, I cannot help to have the impression that balancing every weapon steals some drive from the game (controlling specific weapons becomes less important?). Well, or you are de pain and just control everything, lol. With ut99 I loved that are important areas and less important areas on a map, sth a skilled player learns over time. This seems to be less pronounced now.
              Other:
              1. I really like the new player models. They are not as bulky as in ut2004 anymore and it is easier to see where the head is (although I am really having a hard time with head shots as I am spoiled by ut99).
              2. I love how epic is handling the community. They are investing so much in a free game (what is the business model here, btw?). Unbelievable.
              3. I do not like the udamage (why does it need to be dropped? It makes timing less important! Same opinion as R.Riddick), berserk etc (the main reason probably being that my brain is not capable of timing so many items at once, lol!). But I guess that is up to the game host.
              4. Graphics are really awesome. I could play everthing on epic, but play everthing on low, because I do not see why I need the nice graphics.
              5. The ranking system. It is great that pros cannot mess up noob games. I also see that this will be a boost for many players and is a right step and necessary for a modern competitive game. I would really love to see a finer skill level resolution and not the medals. I have been the same medal for a very long time and it happens very often that there are huge skill differences between players of the same medal. Btw, why medals AND rank AND level?
              6. Unlocking new content is nice although I don’t really need a nice hat. To me it is just the gameplay that is important (same as with graphics, see 4). But I totally understand the concept and believe it is what a modern game needs nowadays (cf. boxes in cs etc.).
              7. I am not sure what to think about the clocks around the items as I have not played duel yet. It is a nice idea, though.
              8. Helmet: Well, ok.
              9. I know you will do it, but really give us back the horizontal weapon bar. I have the strong feeling that the hud is more “balanced” (in the literal sense of the word) when having a horizontal weapon bar.

I general, I am looking for some middle European players that would like to practice (duel) with me. I need to learn the maps and would love to have some sparring partners to share and develop skill together. I am working a lot but I might have an hour or two every evening during the week when my wife is not here I do not know how I will develop, but I am serious with the game (at least, the brand new tower pc need to pay off ) and might even want to train specifically for competitive play.

Comment

hit up d3ity he plays a lot duel also german, you can go local host low ping too : > good write mate. we need more of that.

Comment

Solid advice for mappers, thanks m8. Definitely will take it into consideration, if I ever succeed at finishing a shell

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
                    golden rules for map makers (according to me : > )

When making a duell map: break it down to what ut weapon balance is. corresponding weapons are as it goes link and stinger. flak and rockets sniper and shock. and then there is bio which u just put wherever u want, nobody wants it anyway. now when making a map please consider putting corresponding weapons, rather far apart especially avoid putting sniper and shock close. they will do well furthest apart on the map. also robbing respawned player from the change of getting close quarters weapon is very bad idea. for example asdf does this very well. perhaps if shock was above belt it would be also well distanced from sniper. my second point would be to not go so armor heavy and give players vials. this is and underrated tool which creates better game experience. currently maps seem dry of health vials, helmet is not necessarily a duel thing and also always having belt and armor and tigh pads make game so armor heavy.... it is sad, but against current dps capabilities it is hard to survive even at 150 150 stack. talking of stacks armors do not add up above 150 that is why vials are such viable tool to keep 1v1 fresh and also vials are the real creators of stack in long run, current amount of armors +belt really go up to max real fast. there are a lot of complaints about current armor system and i got to say i do not like it a lot either.

CTF maps. two things guys. no 2 udamages on map it shall be a power up that spawns in the mid and teams have to fight over it. second one no redeemers please for the love of god (ofc if you are making just some map not a reall good one just put there whatever the **** maybe shark filled acid pool in the mid with tiny bridges over it. whatever) i would like to ask ctf lance creator, what was your idea with so much asymmetry and swimming heavy map? because other than mid map looks fine.

For tdm maps apply duel maps with more vials and always have enforcer ans spawning weapon, still better than bio ha? : )
                    Hi, map maker here! Most of us map makers are making whatever we find fun to play, but that's really all we have to go on; we try things out that we think are fun, make changes based on feedback, and then release from there.

The thing is, good map feedback is hard to come by. There are dozens of promising maps in the level design subforum (there's a whole section devoted to just level design! You should check it out) but most of them have only a few comments about the map, and of those, very few have in-depth detailed feedback. I know there's a prevailing attitude on these forums of "If you want something done, do it yourself, it's a pre-alpha," but I won't pretend you have the time to go out and learn level design. Thankfully, in this situation, there is an alternative. Just make regular visits to the level design subforum and leave detailed feedback for map authors. You seem to already know where to start- powerup locations, room sizes and geometries, sight lines. It only takes 10-15 minutes to run through a map once and get an idea of how it plays.

Believe me when I say that it's hard to design fun maps without feedback. So go to the level design subforum, and help shape the future of what UT maps will look like. It means more fun maps for everyone, and we mappers will love you for it. Good feedback is gold around there.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                      The thing is, good map feedback is hard to come by.
                      QFT!

Most feedback tends to be so non-specific it's not very useful... "it's too big/small", "too flat", "too dark/bright", "item placement is bad", "FPS is bad", "I got stuck" or something equally vague.

What's too big/small? Do you mean the entire map needs to be scaled up or down, or is it something more specific like a certain room or corridor or even just the thickness of the trim?

What's too flat? Everything in the entire map or just one room? Or maybe it's only the walls, the floor, the ceiling, the trim or what? Are you talking about gameplay (layout is too flat and needs more vertical options) or about the look (flat low poly geometry with flush trim and very little detail to it)?

What's too dark/bright? Everything in the entire the map, everything in a specific room/area or is it just one corner, one wall, or all surfaces with a certain material on them? Is it the lighting or the materials?

Why is item placement bad? Be specific, is there too much health? Not enough health? Is the shock too close to the sniper, are powerups or armour too close to each other, too close to strong weapons, or what? How about some suggestions you think might work better?

Where is FPS bad? Everywhere or just specific parts of the map viewed from certain angles? Any ideas what might be causing it, like fires, flashing/flickering light, water/slime, smoke/steam, weather effects or something? What's your hardware and what settings are you using? Is it better on lower settings?

Where exactly did you get stuck, was it a minor collision bump or an "I fell out of the map or into the wall/floor and had to suicide to get out of it"?

Screenshots can really help explain what you mean too.
                      Last edited by MoxNix; 11-26-2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                        QFT!

Most feedback tends to be so non-specific it's not very useful... "it's too big/small", "too flat", "too dark/bright", "item placement is bad", "FPS is bad", "I got stuck" or something equally vague.

What's too big/small? Do you mean the entire map needs to be scaled up or down, or is it something more specific like a certain room or corridor or even just the thickness of the trim?

What's too flat? Everything in the entire map or just one room? Or maybe it's only the walls, the floor, the ceiling, the trim or what? Are you talking about gameplay (layout is too flat and needs more vertical options) or about the look (flat low poly geometry with flush trim and very little detail to it)?

What's too dark/bright? Everything in the entire the map, everything in a specific room/area or is it just one corner, one wall, or all surfaces with a certain material on them? Is it the lighting or the materials?

Why is item placement bad? Be specific, is there too much health? Not enough health? Is the shock too close to the sniper, are powerups or armour too close to each other, too close to strong weapons, or what? How about some suggestions you think might work better?

Where is FPS bad? Everywhere or just specific parts of the map viewed from certain angles? Any ideas what might be causing it, like fires, flashing/flickering light, water/slime, smoke/steam, weather effects or something? What's your hardware and what settings are you using? Is it better on lower settings?

Where exactly did you get stuck, was it a minor collision bump or an "I fell out of the map or into the wall/floor and had to suicide to get out of it"?

Screenshots can really help explain what you mean too.
                        I just thought about this, could you/possibly some other map-maker create a thread that shows what kind of feedback to give to a map?
                        Some people such as me, who have never worked with making a map, don't understand fully what to look for when the problem deviates from visibility/wep placement, other simple stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                          Hi, map maker here! Most of us map makers are making whatever we find fun to play, but that's really all we have to go on; we try things out that we think are fun, make changes based on feedback, and then release from there.

The thing is, good map feedback is hard to come by. There are dozens of promising maps in the level design subforum (there's a whole section devoted to just level design! You should check it out) but most of them have only a few comments about the map, and of those, very few have in-depth detailed feedback. I know there's a prevailing attitude on these forums of "If you want something done, do it yourself, it's a pre-alpha," but I won't pretend you have the time to go out and learn level design. Thankfully, in this situation, there is an alternative. Just make regular visits to the level design subforum and leave detailed feedback for map authors. You seem to already know where to start- powerup locations, room sizes and geometries, sight lines. It only takes 10-15 minutes to run through a map once and get an idea of how it plays.

Believe me when I say that it's hard to design fun maps without feedback. So go to the level design subforum, and help shape the future of what UT maps will look like. It means more fun maps for everyone, and we mappers will love you for it. Good feedback is gold around there.
                          Spot on mate but the trouble is that without play testing map you can not give feed back :s

Comment

btw, I do not really see my comments as for a map maker. I totally understand that making a very good map is a iterative process with playtesting and very specific requests from players to map makers. My comment aim at the game in general / the gameplay

Comment

But it's not your grandmothers redeemer anymore or you're just not playing on the right server.
                              Yes, the older slower redeemer/missile is boring and never was used to it's full potential, until now.
                              Played on MEAT'S Redeemer Screamer (UT99) server and the redeemer rocks.
                              No more slow guide your own missile. This server has a missile that is self guided.
                              Aim and shoot and it will chase you down and with speed.
                              Or if you want a bullet fast missile it has that to.
                              Faster then anything I or you have ever seen.
                              No, don't dog the redeemer until you've actually played an up-to-date version.

Comment

Working...
                              X