This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough is Enough - Character Visual Clarity

I know there are certain issues, such as mouse input and shock combo bugs, that take time to work on and for which a solution is not yet apparent, but the ability to see teammates and enemies clearly in any environment is an issue you can do something about in the meantime. Every time I play there is still a split second of maddening hesitation where I'm unable to distinguish the enemy from his surroundings -- this is unacceptable in an arena shooter. Please, please, let us choose the enemy and teammate skin colors and let the spectrum of colors from which to choose be vast, not unlike the crosshair color options. The blue team on Chill is at a significant advantage as they blend into walls and the overall color theme of the map, and this shouldn't be the case. I'm not asking you for glowsticks bright skins (though that would be nice) and I'm not asking you to even spend time working on visual clarity, but by way of allowing us to choose enemy and team colors you will let us improve character visibility for each map on our own terms. An enemy color that's visible on ASDF is not the same color that is best suited for Deadfall or Chill, allow the client to choose these colors. Allow me to set my teammates to always be blue. This does not seem complicated or time consuming or even something that will cause a shift in Epic's development priorities, but every single medium to high skilled player is frustrated with the character visibility and it's not being addressed, or if it is being addressed it's not remotely adequate.

+1.

I played a DM on Lea today and I had to quit after the match cause of eyes strained for the effort to spot enemies.. For real.

Comment

this, i like this.

Comment

Would be cool if every map would have "suggested team colors" as map info or something that mappers would add, and then you'd have a toggle in the options to enable these suggested team colors or stick with the default red/blue. Could also add a custom team color option.

I agree that visual clarity is a big issue with both players and projectiles atm (especially rockets are barely visible, while link gun pulse/shaft blinds you entirely....).
        Last edited by Avalanche._; 11-21-2015, 03:07 PM.
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I wouldn't expect a feature allowing you to override someone else's choices like that. One of things we want to encourage is people making their character's their own and what you are asking for is counter productive to that. If you want to argue that lighting / etc on some maps, or that some models decrease the visual clarity then feel free. But I strongly suggest you do your homework and have examples, etc to back it up it. That btw: is not to say I don't personally agree with you in some cases. I'm just saying everyone has an opinion so having one isn't enough.

Comment

Playing FFA on Lea I visually sweeped hallway at shock leading to link and saw nothing. As I started to turn to look other way I saw a shock core come out of nowhere and I was stombo'd. He was 10 virtual feet away and basically invisible because he wasn't moving.

I often find myself shooting weapon pickups, skulls, anything that seems out of place because it could be a player. When you sweep quickly it is very difficult to spot enemies. One of the more advanced aiming techniques that is a lot of fun is extremely quick flick shots where you whip and hit a target purely with reflex, not by lining up your crosshair. That is extremely difficult to do if you can't spot enemies in peripheral vision.

I really don't understand why there just isn't a brightskins option for those of us that want it. If you want the game to look good then select the option that you feel does that best. If you want to be able to see other players then select brightskins. If you want the game to look a certain way and disallow others from being able to see models better than you because they have a different priority and select brightskins I think that is kind of bs and selfish. Being that casuals and competitive players generally shouldn't be playing together much anyway, if they do I don't think brightskins are going to be the deciding factor.
            Xarev's Guide to Traceroute
            Add me on Steam for duels

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
              I wouldn't expect a feature allowing you to override someone else's choices like that. One of things we want to encourage is people making their character's their own and what you are asking for is counter productive to that. If you want to argue that lighting / etc on some maps, or that some models decrease the visual clarity then feel free. But I strongly suggest you do your homework and have examples, etc to back it up it. That btw: is not to say I don't personally agree with you in some cases. I'm just saying everyone has an opinion so having one isn't enough.
              Example: Dm-Lea. The map is blue and the blue team blends into the color scheme. It's a great duel map, but people don't play on it because the blue team is at a significant advantage. It's been like this since the map was released. I don't know how you can fix this with lighting or anything else, aside from using skin colors that are not camouflaged by the map theme. This issue is really hindering game play at the moment. I understand that you don't have the answers on how to fix it at this time, but can't something be done in the meantime? Color is simply color. The player still has the ability to choose everything else about their model. At the moment the player doesn't have a choice between red and blue, they're automatically assigned a team color, so does expanding the spectrum of colors really change this? If the player appears green or pink to the opponent, the only person who sees this is the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Xarev View Post
                Playing FFA on Lea I visually sweeped hallway at shock leading to link and saw nothing. As I started to turn to look other way I saw a shock core come out of nowhere and I was stombo'd. He was 10 virtual feet away and basically invisible because he wasn't moving.

I often find myself shooting weapon pickups, skulls, anything that seems out of place because it could be a player. When you sweep quickly it is very difficult to spot enemies. One of the more advanced aiming techniques that is a lot of fun is extremely quick flick shots where you whip and hit a target purely with reflex, not by lining up your crosshair. That is extremely difficult to do if you can't spot enemies in peripheral vision.

I really don't understand why there just isn't a brightskins option for those of us that want it. If you want the game to look good then select the option that you feel does that best. If you want to be able to see other players then select brightskins. If you want the game to look a certain way and disallow others from being able to see models better than you because they have a different priority and select brightskins I think that is kind of bs and selfish. Being that casuals and competitive players generally shouldn't be playing together much anyway, if they do I don't think brightskins are going to be the deciding factor.
                FFA is even worse on many maps than blue or red. The skins blend into everything, seemingly amorphous.

Comment

Originally posted by legionz View Post
                  FFA is even worse on many maps than blue or red. The skins blend into everything, seemingly amorphous.
                  Yeah its insane. Also when playing CTF on Titan and Pistola, perhaps because of the graphics settings I use, low, 1080p screen %50-%75 it is somewhat more pixelated and hard to guage where multiple players are on the field. I often shoot teammates or just feel lost trying to track what is going on because it is so hard to differentiate.
                  Xarev's Guide to Traceroute
                  Add me on Steam for duels

Comment

I agree with everything you've said legions, and this isn't me just blindly supporting my clan mate. I do think it's about time for epic to introduce better player visibility options. Whether it be shoulder lights, enemy skins, more vivid/brighter armor colors, something needs to be done. The current player distance shader isn't cutting it, and when the biggest frustration in the game is distinguishing opponents from the background and from teammates, you know things need to change. I expect player models/visibility like this in games like battlefield, not a fast paced arena shooter where twitch gameplay relies on fast reaction time. It's hard to react quickly when you are unsure if that opponent is your teammate or not, and their exact location when they blend in the wall.

Another issue is that poor player visibility limits map design creativity in regards of lighting possibilities. If maps aren't brightly lit, it's a chore to fight in them and players won't play in them. Custom maps are all going to have to be bright to accommodate for the lack of visual clarity on player skins. Nato is working on an amazing map called dm-salt, which has a unique dark castle like theme. He worked really hard on it, but it might not get the play time it deserves because player visibility is working against his creative lighting choices. Maps like lea aren't played as much as they should be because of this reason. Half the battle is keeping your eye on the opponent which should be the easiest thing to do. I've been working on dm-liandri on and off for some time now, and I know that pretty much no matter what I do to the lighting, it's going to be hard to see opponents, so there's no point to work on it.

Is implementing better player visibility not as trivial as I think? Why has it taken so long? It's honestly just frustrating to play.

Comment

This topic reminds me of the war in Syria - a total fricken' mess. However, instead of ASSAD, KURDS, REBELS, and ISIS, we're dealing with Pros, Devs, Casuals, and the headstrong.

A Pro point of view: Most yearn for Bright Skins / Ability to set Enemy Skin. Some skins are clearly more difficult to see than others, e.g., a Female Necris with Beanie Vs. Skaarj with that Refrigerator-sized Cardboard box hat. I personally feel that they are needed. The games of today just have too much detail - the ability to quickly see players is difficult.

A Dev point of view: I'm guessing that they would want their game to look beautiful and impressive. Bright skins are ugly. Moreover, since most players will not purchase maps via Marketplace, the ability to "Force Enemy Models" / "Bright Skins" will really deter most from purchasing Characters, Costumes, and Hats via Marketplace. Why purchase a sweet skull hat when everyone will see you as a neon-yellow cardboard head?

A Casual point of view: Eye-Candy is everything. Vertical-Sync is everything. The Mouse already feels perfect. Does everyone cheat? I'm out.

A Headstrong point of view: UT99 didn't have bright skins, so ut4 doesn't need them... Blah blah blah.

Personally, I want my skins to look like the image below. Characters should be created with bright skins in mind...not just detail:

Last edited by de`pain; 11-21-2015, 03:43 PM.
                      www.mouserpad.com

Comment

Just adding my two cents from other games: Guild Wars 2 (F2P MMO w/ boxed purchase option) allows forcemodel on enemy players in PvP. I don't want brightskins but I do want to be able to clearly identify what's an enemy and what's not: Currently I can't do that (especially if the enemy is on the Stealth team).
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

sorry joe but why shall we be forced to look at least visible models?

if ut2004 did not have utcomp all people would be playing as lauren because that character was hardly visible and had annoying animations. that is why we all had set juggernouts as enemy models and brightskins because again we wanted to see who we were fighting. I guarantee the day cahracters are done, i will pick slimest and darkest looking one just because of all the perks it comes with, wheather i like that cahracter or not. i am quite against being forced! to watch some flaming head guy. he sees his character how ever he wants, why is it any of my business?

Comment

Originally posted by de`pain View Post
                            This topic reminds me of the war in Syria - a total fricken' mess. However, instead of ASSAD, KURDS, REBELS, and ISIS, we're dealing with Pros, Devs, Casuals, and the headstrong.

A Pro point of view: Most yearn for Bright Skins / Ability to set Enemy Skin. Some skins are clearly more difficult to see than others, e.g., a Female Necris with Beanie Vs. Skaarj with that Refrigerator-sized Cardboard box hat. I personally feel that they are needed. The games of today just have too much detail - the ability to quickly see players is difficult.

A Dev point of view: I'm guessing that they would want their game to look beautiful and impressive. Bright skins are ugly. Moreover, since most players will not purchase maps via Marketplace, the ability to "Force Enemy Models" / "Bright Skins" will really deter most from purchasing Characters, Costumes, and Hats via Marketplace. Why purchase a sweet skull hat when everyone will see you as a neon-yellow cardboard head?

A Casual point of view: Eye-Candy is everything. Vertical-Sync is everything. The Mouse already feels perfect. Does everyone cheat? I'm out.

A Headstrong point of view: UT99 didn't have bright skins, so ut4 doesn't need them... Blah blah blah.

Personally, I want my skins to look like the image below. Characters should be created with bright skins in mind...not just detail:

you are a prophet mate. i go with pro and at any given day why shall anyone else's opinion matter over who are really going to play the game on the level?

i am hardly a pro at any state but clearly all my views are pro views, i really died at is everyone cheating? i am off part

Comment

Yeah, agreed. Sometimes my eyes are really strained just because I have to concentrate on seeing someone, especially blue on Lea. Would be nice to be able to set enemy player color in settings somewhere.

Originally posted by legionz View Post
                              Example: Dm-Lea. The map is blue and the blue team blends into the color scheme. It's a great duel map, but people don't play on it because the blue team is at a significant advantage. It's been like this since the map was released. I don't know how you can fix this with lighting or anything else, aside from using skin colors that are not camouflaged by the map theme. This issue is really hindering game play at the moment. I understand that you don't have the answers on how to fix it at this time, but can't something be done in the meantime? Color is simply color. The player still has the ability to choose everything else about their model. At the moment the player doesn't have a choice between red and blue, they're automatically assigned a team color, so does expanding the spectrum of colors really change this? If the player appears green or pink to the opponent, the only person who sees this is the opponent.
                              Good point here, people can't really choose their color in team games anyway - they are forced to use blue or red, so it should be fine to let someone force a color for the enemy team. This would also help with issues like newbies getting confused after a team switch and shooting their own teammates.

Comment

Working...
                              X