Is the Sniper Hitscan or Projectile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Sniper Hitscan or Projectile?

I thought it was Hitscan like in previous versions of UT. Someone suggested it may in fact be projectile in UT4. I've done some searching on the forum and I've found some conversations on the topic, but I cannot find a definitive answer on whether it IS Hitscan or IS Projectile. Does anybody know which it is?
    Mulsiphix's Guide To PUGing In UT4
    What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Hitscan. Early on in the project Epic tested it out as a projectile, but the community up-roared and it was changed back to hitscan.
    PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      Hitscan. Early on in the project Epic tested it out as a projectile, but the community up-roared and it was changed back to hitscan.
      Awesome. Thank you -jay-
      What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

My opinion on this is that the hitscan weapons are becoming more over powered.. especially now that the general skill level is going up with the pre-alpha testers. (seriously, are we still calling this a "pre-alpha".. let's at least call it alpha by now ;-) ). Anyway, we may need some adjustments to weapon balance as the skill level is going up... something I didn't think about early on.
        -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
        BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
          My opinion on this is that the hitscan weapons are becoming more over powered.. especially now that the general skill level is going up with the pre-alpha testers. (seriously, are we still calling this a "pre-alpha".. let's at least call it alpha by now ;-) ). Anyway, we may need some adjustments to weapon balance as the skill level is going up... something I didn't think about early on.
          The game is not in Alpha stage yet, I hate it when people say their game is in alpha/beta stage and it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
            My opinion on this is that the hitscan weapons are becoming more over powered... Anyway, we may need some adjustments to weapon balance as the skill level is going up...
            Sorry to snap at you but I'm so eternally tired of hearing this. What does that even mean? Is skill level going up only for Shock Primary and Sniper? Or rather overall? And if so what do you suggest would be the course of action here? What would your adjustments look like? Making Projectile weapons **** easy to hit with while at the same time so insanely unrewarding to use and plain annoying for the opponent? Because we've been there already, in fact we are still there, and still people hit 50+% accuracy with hitscan. Seems to me like that didn't help much for this "problem". Only thing you will gain is one hell of a messed up gunplay.
            Or maybe, and just maybe that whole "problem" was just short-sighted and plain non existent from the start?

You see the so called "problem" is simply noobs getting destroyed by 15 year veterans no matter what weapon. That's just the nature of things and this shouldn't be surprising for anyone to begin with. You don't expect to jump into an NBA game and not get your *** dunked on 24/7 either, do you? Would you demand game rule changes there?
            It's also not a new problem, for this games, hell all sports use a tiered system in order to try to match equal skilled players against each other. With the project still in a development state you can't ask for this yet, you simply can't. And to try to balance weapons or anything in the game around this huge skill gap is not only fruitless it's downright insane.
            Weapon balance can only be achieved in a scientific hypothetical vacuum with two evenly skilled players. And if the numbers add to an as even as possible match then you can look at the rest of the game. The environment also plays a huge role in weapon usefulness, for example crowded tiny spaces will never favor hitscan weapons nor favor wide open areas projectile weapons, but it should also never tilt the balance in one or the other direction of the scale because at the end of the day it's just damage per second you have to concentrate on.

Again sorry to snap at you, but this has been talked to death up and down from monday to friday already last year.
            Have a good one.
            Last edited by Tetsu; 12-11-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

@Tetsu honestly I think hitscan would be used less if projectiles were less powerful/harder to hit with. Right now people often avoid getting in close range and prefer to stay away and use Shock/Sniper just because of how volatile close range combat is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsu View Post
                Entire Post
                That was beautiful and I couldn't agree more. Especially in terms of how once creates "balance". Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsu View Post
                  Sorry to snap at you but I'm so eternally tired of hearing this.

Again sorry to snap at you, but this has been talked to death up and down from monday to friday already last year.
                  Have a good, one.
                  Well clearly if it wasn't discussed on Saturday and Sunday, then it wasn't discussed enough. All those days can add up to discussion we can have about it again now....

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Your post is extremely valid and well written. The skill gap will always exist, if you want to get better, play more.
                  Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                    The skill gap will always exist, if you want to get better, play more.
                    There is a bit more to it than simply playing. Lots of good information here: How To Improve Ones Skills Dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                      Well clearly if it wasn't discussed on Saturday and Sunday, then it wasn't discussed enough. All those days can add up to discussion we can have about it again now....
                      Oh Saturday's and Sunday's were in there, it's more a problem of no actions really. Believe me I'm more than tired of repeating myself for all these months. But by all means be my guest and talk about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X