Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community Events Feedback - Is Epic Listening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Community Events Feedback - Is Epic Listening?

Hi everyone!

Want to get a discussion going about the feedback from the competitive(and casual) community from the recent epic events in the past year. It seems like a lot of players that went had a blast, and I would love to have an invitation to one of my favorite Game Studios!

Anyhow, I'd like to mention something about the feedback. I know players provided epic with ideas and feedback on the game, but is Epic listening to some of these great ideas the competitive players are providing?
    I'm not seeing any implementation from what the feedback the competitive players provided at the event.

CS:GO is developed by valve and was play tested by pro players at one point to help better the game. Valve isn't usually the one to do this, but it seems like they did what was necessary to help out their game and make it into a massive success.

Future events held at epic can be a great opportunity to give some ideas & feedback on the development. Right now, I know epic is busy with other projects and utilizing Unreal Engine 4 but when the time comes I do think the community can help balance out a lot of the issues UT Is having at an event.
    Last edited by the.nvz; 12-14-2015, 02:43 PM.
    Steam
    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
    UT Username - nvz
    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Hey Dude, it`s an Pre-Alpha. They hear you, but they can`t change all the things at once or give you feedback on every feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Headzup View Post
      Hey Dude, it`s an Pre-Alpha. They hear you, but they can`t change all the things at once or give you feedback on every feedback.
      It's been more than a year and we still haven't seen any feedback addressed. Everything seems to be headed in the direction of casual gaming, rather than competitive gaming.
      Steam
      UT Username - nvz

SPECS
      || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealtournament They gave us so much feedback over the months...

Edit: I ment over the years
        Last edited by Headzup; 12-14-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I saw this debate on irc.

I'm not going to rehash all the arguments, but here are a few things to keep in mind. I know you probably know these already but restating for everyone. Not claiming to have all the answers;

We're still Pre-Alpha, i.e. not feature complete. The main body of time is being spent getting to feature complete (alpha) stage. Things like the spectator camera, reward system and hubs are either not in, or still being worked on. I know there was a lot of hoha about time being spent on the the Halloween event and not on 'important' things, but it was used to add and test some of the back end systems that went in on that patch; it also let the team test their workflow for such special events, especially working on such a live product in this way; something which (to my knowledge) Epic doesn't have a massive amount of experience with. Also frankly it's a game, which are meant to be fun. Development is stressful and having something silly like the Halloween event every now and again helps stop people burning out.

The team is small. And I mean REALLY small. Lots of people have asked why? What is Epic doing? UT is a side project, it's being made on a small budget by a small team. That doesn't mean that it's destined to fail; CS:GO was a bit of a side project after source had such mixed response . In fact some of it's most enduring features come from developers getting creative with their resources. E.g. the weapon skin system is molded around the fact they had very few actual artists at hand, mostly tech artists; so instead of creating thousands of textures to create the same effect, it's largely all automatic and driven by a complex shader. Lastly CS:GO was based heavily of CS:S, it's not a great comparison. CS 1.6 to CS:GO as a timeline is a little fairer, in which case we're seeing UT a lot sooner than we saw CS:S, which was largely bust on release. Just wanted to give a better scene of scale here.

It's going to be a long, bumpy, and sometimes painful ride so I do understand the frustration.

Out of interest, and I'm not asking for really long winded detailed answers; what do you feel hasn't been implemented? Specifically? Not trying to bait you in or anything, you just didn't really go into that kind of detail, curious what you're thinking of in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by nvz View Post
            CS:GO is developed by valve and was play tested by pro players at one point to help better the game. Valve isn't usually the one to do this, but it seems like they did what was necessary to help out their game and make it into a massive success.
            hahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Lol valve is ****ing **** they dont give a **** about pro players and community and its feedback.
              They care about skins only.
              Talk about their feedback when it took them 4 ****ing years to put a revolver ingame which doesnt even belong to cs in first place and to make it oneshot kill
              Every single pro player said they retards and laughed on twitter.

They said that they worked on it on 2012 and just to put a new gun that destroys the last 15 years of heritage of real cs and not to even test a gun before adding it is pure retardation.
              It had 800$ cost and it was better than 4750$ sniper.

They dont even play their own game lol.
              Thats how good valve is but again they did that to earn some money on skins
              Last edited by Danko955; 12-14-2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nvz View Post
                Anyhow, I'd like to mention something about the feedback. I know players provided epic with ideas and feedback on the game, but is Epic listening to some of these great ideas the competitive players are providing?
                I'm not seeing any implementation from what the feedback the competitive players provided at the event.
                I've seen only some small things of the stuff that was mentioned and that Steve wrote down (and he wrote down a lot) appear in the very next build. Some more significant spec-related changes came up in the last build. So I'd say they do listen, but it takes time to get to that stuff, and it has to fit whatever plans they have.
                Last edited by _Lynx; 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM.
                "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I can't speak for Epic, but they seem to be listening to our feedback, but they also seem confident in their ability to make great games and that they know what is best for their products (business, marketing, etc.).
                  Last edited by 3Dmatic; 12-14-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

i came to conclusion that it is too early to give any feedback.

i think it will be late alpha-beta thing

Comment

Thanks for your feedback guys.
                      Steam
                      UT Username - nvz

SPECS

#PREALPHA

Comment

Actually epic does not know what they are doing. Ut was a failed upgrade how many times now? They are still making the same mistakes as before if not worse now.

Comment

Originally posted by High Voltage View Post
                          Actually epic does not know what they are doing. Ut was a failed upgrade how many times now? They are still making the same mistakes as before if not worse now.
                          If they read this, how is that supposed to help them understand what they are doing right or wrong?

Comment

At the same time I can understand from Epic points of view that they have their own vision of how they want to game to be. Try putting yourself into that same position, have this waves of feedback, of which not all fits within their own vision of things. How willing would you personally go in the community's direction if you have strong feelings of how you want it to be yourself (you know it's kinda like their "life work" after all. And especially when the final decision, is in your hands. Think about that for a sec. I think many of you couldn't swear for sure that you'd do it for the good of the community/playerbase over your own visions.

The only way to truly get the ideas taken seriously seems to make prototypes and stuff and get a huge crowd behind it and make it as appealing idea as possible, really it seems to be about needing to sell your idea like entreprenours try to sell their products at various events with that short stage presence when every1 is watching you and your sales speech. Those have the best chances of succeeding. I'm not a coder personally and I can't really figure out this editor (I've been unable to find as simple thing as tweaking weapon dmg!) and neither do I have time for it since I devote majority of my sparetime into my other more important hobby of promoting newcomer music producers to help them get recognition and hopefully get label contracts, I'm not quite thinking this community contribution is that important that I'd be willing to give up the time for that in favor for UT4 concepting but I do have strong opinions and arguments as to why I think this n that but unfortunately I doubt it will have much affect at all.
                            Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 12-15-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                              At the same time I can understand from Epic points of view that they have their own vision of how they want to game to be. Try putting yourself into that same position, have this waves of feedback, of which not all fits within their own vision of things. How willing would you personally go in the community's direction if you have strong feelings of how you want it to be yourself (you know it's kinda like their "life work" after all. And especially when the final decision, is in your hands. Think about that for a sec. I think many of you couldn't swear for sure that you'd do it for the good of the community/playerbase over your own visions.
                              That's fine and all, but if that is what they want to do then they should have gone with a traditional development model, you know, the kind where instead of releasing a game when it's pre-alpha to gather feedback, you just make the game and release it when it's done.

See, they explicitly released the game at this early juncture to get community feedback. Part of getting feedback is at least letting people know you are receiving it, even if that feedback is, "No, we're not going to do this." If you don't let people know that their feedback is getting heard, you are wasting the time of both parties, and you are certainly not fostering any goodwill.

Comment

Working...
                              X