Force Max GPU clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force Max GPU clocks

For those who are having performance issues with frames per second and are using Nvidia try forcing the max GPU core and memory clocks using K-Boost in EVGA Precision. I've found it to keep my fps at a constant 150 in most maps in multiplayer mode.

That's a pretty sick rig you got there. Not a bad set-up, and definitely one a seasoned enthusiast would use. I, too, use an enterprise Xeon in my machine. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by 213 View Post
      For those who are having performance issues with frames per second and are using Nvidia try forcing the max GPU core and memory clocks using K-Boost in EVGA Precision. I've found it to keep my fps at a constant 150 in most maps in multiplayer mode.
      I also think theres something about AMD GPUs and CPUs this build. Some type of incompatibility. I haven't experienced drops on my secondary machine but I know some people that consistently get drops.
      || MSI X99A Raider || Core i7-5820k @ 3.8GHz || DDR4 4GB x 4 Crucial @ 2400MHz || ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 || 2xSSD + 1xHDD || Corsair RM850 Power Supply ‑ 80 PLUS Gold ‑ 850W || ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Mouse: Logitech 502 || Keyboard (Keypad): Logitech G13 || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower || Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card ||

Comment

I think that has more to do with low Single-Core throughput. AMD CPUs tend to handle highly multi-threaded tasks well, but they don't have a lot of single-core power. I think this build is a bit more single-core biased than previous builds.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
          I think that has more to do with low Single-Core throughput. AMD CPUs tend to handle highly multi-threaded tasks well, but they don't have a lot of single-core power. I think this build is a bit more single-core biased than previous builds.
          Idk man,
          I have an FX 8310 at 4.2 GHZ with a 970 that plays the game at 1440p Epic Textures no dropped frames 75fps. I use that machine to spectate. Guys like rookie are at 4.3 Ghz 1080p all low settings dropping frames. That doesn't make sense to me. Hell it does 4K 30 FPS constant. Right now I am only limited by the TV's refresh rate.

This is also with the mini 970. (Zotac's)
          || MSI X99A Raider || Core i7-5820k @ 3.8GHz || DDR4 4GB x 4 Crucial @ 2400MHz || ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 || 2xSSD + 1xHDD || Corsair RM850 Power Supply ‑ 80 PLUS Gold ‑ 850W || ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Mouse: Logitech 502 || Keyboard (Keypad): Logitech G13 || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower || Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card ||

Comment

Somehow I don't think guys like Rookie are going to be satisfied with 75 FPS.

K-T is absolutely correct about AMD and single threaded performance. For anyone who doesn't believe it, you can check it out yourself.

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
            Last edited by MoxNix; 02-05-2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Overclocking really wont net you more than 5-10 FPS in game, 10 FPS being you are pushing your video card to the max.
              PayBack

Comment

I modded my BIOS so my cards don't downclock and doesn't matter game still runs like *** ATM its weird though more of a drop on CTF than on DM maps.
                No doubt will be fixed soon they did do an overhaul to newer engine.
                [i7 5960x 4.5Ghz][Asus X-99 Pro][Corsair 16GB DDR4 2666][2 Samsung 850 pro 256 RAID 0][GTX 1080 Ti][Acer XB270HU 1440p 165hz Gsync]

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                  That's a pretty sick rig you got there. Not a bad set-up, and definitely one a seasoned enthusiast would use. I, too, use an enterprise Xeon in my machine. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the compliment

I don't think my issue is related to the build per-say I think it's more related to Nvidia drivers on Windows 10. I had been switching between "Adaptive" and "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Power Management Mode because Maximum was having trouble down-clocking the cores and memory to idle levels with a 144Hz monitor. I tried Adaptive and the GPU core was under performing, and not increasing it's clock like I've seen it do normally. It kept hanging on 810. That's when I decided to open up "stat fps" and see what was going on. Sure enough maps I would normally get 150fps I was getting 110 with alot of erratic jumps. And I'm sure I had Windows power mode in High Performance. Anyways I hope this helps others.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                    Somehow I don't think guys like Rookie are going to be satisfied with 75 FPS.

K-T is absolutely correct about AMD and single threaded performance. For anyone who doesn't believe it, you can check it out yourself.

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
                    1080p low EVERYTHING should be easy compared to 1440p epic textures, thats my point.

Comment

Originally posted by phantaci View Post
                      I also think theres something about AMD GPUs and CPUs this build. Some type of incompatibility. I haven't experienced drops on my secondary machine but I know some people that consistently get drops.

It's either that or immature GPU drivers for windows 10.

All this inconsistency with the performance of UT4 on my machine has got me re-thinking my overclocks from my memory & timings, to my Uncore, etc. Right now I'm readjusting my Uncore clock to 2.9GHz and lowering the VTT volts to 1.20v from 1.3v

Comment

Originally posted by 213 View Post
                        It's either that or immature GPU drivers for windows 10.

All this inconsistency with the performance of UT4 on my machine has got me re-thinking my overclocks from my memory & timings, to my Uncore, etc. Right now I'm readjusting my Uncore clock to 2.9GHz and lowering the VTT volts to 1.20v from 1.3v
                        Dunno it's been working fine for me under Win 10 since day one when 10 was released. Other than two times a day or two apart where win 10 update did something over night that messed up drivers without changing the installed version number. Simply removing and reinstalling the latest non beta drivers with NVidia Experience fixed that though.

I do not overclock my video card though, tried it for a few days and didn't like it so I uninstalled Precision and went back to normal clocks.

I do have a 960 though, it's possible the drivers work better with 9 series cards than 6 series.

Comment

Lowering voltage hurts stability usually. 1's and 0's are determined by high and low levels of voltage at the gate.. higher clock speed need more voltage to prevent 1 being read as 0 or vice versa.

Comment

All K-Boost does is keep the GPU core, and memory to the max clocks. I never over-clock my GPU but this keeps it at it's maximum stock clocks. I think the ASIC quality is 83.9%

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernRex View Post
                              Lowering voltage hurts stability usually. 1's and 0's are determined by high and low levels of voltage at the gate.. higher clock speed need more voltage to prevent 1 being read as 0 or vice versa.
                              I had my Uncore at 3.5GHz which usually requires more VTT: and I have been pushing 1.30v with it. Anywhere up to 3GHz Uncore will work with 1.20-1.25v volts for the 32nm 6 core first Gen i7 chips.

Comment

Working...
                              X