Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would make people play arena FPS games again. Thoughts from non arenafps players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skaary View Post
    Casual players - is gutless flock. They don't play in something simple and understandable, but only what is best advertised.

Advertisement, advertisement and again advertisement. This is what provides the base of casual gamers, not mythical simplicity.
    That's a bit inaccurate. The difference between casual players and so-called hardcore players mainly has to do with their mindset and that mindset is shaped by their past experiences. Those who are unfamiliar with activities that requires them to put efforts, train and change themselves to correct what they do wrong in order to get better at something will fall into the casual category, a category that tend to easily fall for psychological tricks. Give them a medal for dying or make them level up, they enjoy it. Give them a Udamage and let them kill people effortlessly, they love it. Those things just don't work on so-called hardcore players, as they get their fun from a purest form; self-development.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
      self-development.
      But in UT4?

Comment

Arena shooter games have a weird mix of both types. Any game can be played competitively, but if you ask any player if they enjoy getting kills with Udamage... you'll know if they are casual or not. And if the person does not enjoy killing opponents with Udamage, we could then ask the same question about the shock combo to get an even more in depth result, no matter how the person is good at UT.

Edited:
        It's quite easy to identify from which head space people operate from or on which psychological layer they stand on, but a person can only be aware of the psychological layers that she has been through previously. So, everyone is not so different after all and the ones who can give the most accurate feedback are simply the most experienced. And as players get more experienced, they tend to agree on the same things. If you want the game to be good, you need those most experienced players/designers.
        Last edited by 3Dmatic; 03-05-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

As an UT veteran, Imho what this game needs to have to cater to average players is good team oriented maps. When an average joe can help defend a flag or score points on TDM (like CA on quake) he doesn't feel like utter *****. That's it. ITS ON DUEL MODE that noobies get destroyed and delete the game and give it a bad review, we just need servers admins to enforce team modes (and DM ofc) and have a side server for duels. (If the game can run on crappy pcs without looking horrible even better)

I also played UT3 in a small niche community and we had noobs all the time and sometimes all they needed to feel good was to secure the flag room with some shock rifle and nice kill effects. We only played FPS modes, that is, DM TDM and CTF, it was unbearable for noobs to play 1x1 or even small DM with 3 players, but on TDM they could get better and learn and have FUN, provided that the teams were BALANCED (AUTO BALANCE Is A MusT).

I absolutely abhor matchmaking. As a DOTA 2 player I can attest how hard it is to improve on your mistakes playing with average people, to improve on this game I had to focus on OP heroes until I was out of the ***** zone MM. 1 hour playing with a veteran in UT makes you progress more than a month playing with noobs. But as I said, for beginners the easiest way is to play on a TEAM based modes.

On UT3 fiasco: The game only became playable for our community when we started having community maps made by players who knew what they were doing, eg crazy ******* and holp modders. Then it was like 1998 again but even better. None of that vehicle **** or necris maps BS. The HOLP CTF maps were AMAZING. Here's a small fragmovie I did years ago that sum it up how fun this game was for me cheers.

Check my UT3 Fragmovie!

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
            This is why I'd like to see UT4 on console.
            So the console market can see a good FPS is like.
            Consoles did have their own UT. Timesplitters was exactly what console UT should be.

Comment

UT was ported to the Sega Dreamcast.

Consoles are a different animal. Developing for them usually requires purchase of a proprietary SDK, which means sales is needed to recoup the cost. Sales is more about marketing than quality, which is another investment to recoup. I don't think Epic is really working within the traditional framework to make that happen. It's possible, but only as an afterthought.

Open source projects are fantastic things, that can create some of the highest quality products that exist, but due to the established market framework (and need to "earn a living"), not only do they usually lack exposure for wide acceptance and use, they become costly. The reality is the market not only doesn't care much about quality, it abhors it, as it's a long term threat to profitability in most cases.
              Originally posted by Mysterial
              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post

Returns the volley, rally for point!
                http://store.steampowered.com/app/43...ingsoon_150_12

Is it hot in here or is it just me :P
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

That was quite cool. I liked it.
                  Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Implement popular mods from other FPSes

Implementing popular mods from other FPSes could help bring players over.

A few examples from Halo series

Grifball: which is similar to Bombing Run and UT2004 Football
                    There are already people working on a Bombing Run remake.

Fiesta: [PROTOTYPE] POT LUCK - remake of Halo 3 / Halo 5 Fiesta: Each player spawns with a random weapon

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                      Ironically, I don't see what is skill based in winning games running around with Udamage, belt or redeemer stacked.
                      I'd rather play Halo than wasting my time killing people effortlessly with sniper rifle + udamage.
                      Knowing where and when the powerups will spawn is a huge part of the tactics in a 1v1 environment, but much less of an issue in an FFA or other kind of 3+ player match. Knowing how to move, where to move and how to avoid certain areas at what times is paramount. Personally i'd point to DM-Rankin as one of the best maps that exploit UT's gameplay for that reason, and show what it is about. You need to avoid the puddles (as their noise can be heard across the map), along with knowing when the various powerups will spawn, taking the best route through them without becoming predictable.

Also, for that matter, i'd propose getting rid of ALL hitscan weaponry in UT, though i'm not sure the engine can handle that

Comment

Originally posted by VfourA View Post

Also, for that matter, i'd propose getting rid of ALL hitscan weaponry in UT, though i'm not sure the engine can handle that
                        Instagib would not be Insta anymore.... It'd be HitGib.... sounds like a Melee mod [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION]?

[MENTION=37453]VfourA[/MENTION] you are a monster!?!

Comment

Originally posted by VfourA View Post
                          Knowing where and when the powerups will spawn is a huge part of the tactics in a 1v1 environment, but much less of an issue in an FFA or other kind of 3+ player match. Knowing how to move, where to move and how to avoid certain areas at what times is paramount. Personally i'd point to DM-Rankin as one of the best maps that exploit UT's gameplay for that reason, and show what it is about. You need to avoid the puddles (as their noise can be heard across the map), along with knowing when the various powerups will spawn, taking the best route through them without becoming predictable.

Exactly, does it make sense to you that a game company would design a game based on a gametype that works best in duel, when most popular gametypes these days are FFA, TDM or else?
                          Anyway, this is my last post. I'm outta here.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

I return with another DOOM video, this time one that @bass3 posted in DOOM - new demo, visual clarity looks awesome?

Comment

Ive heard that the melee feels too cheap for PvP so that might be something to consider avoiding for UT, make it so there are some good combos rather than too many 1 hits. Im guessing the rocket launcher in this is a 1 hit but I could be wrong. There are gadgets and loadouts so who knows honestly, it could evolve into a really competitive PvP thing or it could fall flat, its much better than Doom 3 DM even though I did enjoy using light as a combat tactic. Quake 4 added some environment light stuff so it ran about smoother, the DM in that isnt bad but I only like certain features of q4max not all.

When I look at UTs maps they are fairly boxy vs Quake 4s, it had alot of nice curves which helped the pace of the game, corners lead to snagging so you use them as a point of skill in some areas but not all. There is a whole game under this UT not alot of people have explored yet, most maps have limited wall dodge/run sections there isnt many which are made specifically for those you could even have sky skrapers like previous UTs you can run along and if you fall youre screwed. Maps like that open up some tactical play with the translocator too....

I could go on for days :P

Also I forgot to add, I have the collectors edition of Doom on preorder, Im not really fussed about MP if the SP is good enough
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-11-2016, 12:03 PM.
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Game needs better Effects

Somebody, please Answer this scream of my soul!)))
                                and Yes, i think this feature would make more people play UT

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...134#post229134

Comment

Working...
                                X