Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would make people play arena FPS games again. Thoughts from non arenafps players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Also I forgot to add, I have the collectors edition of Doom on preorder, Im not really fussed about MP if the SP is good enough
    AWESOME!

I played DOOM Alpha Multiplayer but we are not allowed to discuss as we're under NDA. Frustrating....
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Hey all,

Long time UT player, first time poster. Been playing since 99, I've worked in both publishing and development for AAA console and PC titles, and love every second of this new iteration of UT. I don't have much of any more introduction but feel free to ask me anything and I'll contribute to the development of this great game as much as possible.

My ideas for UT game mode/design to get people to play arena FPS again:

JUST IMPLEMENT THE RPG INVASION THAT IS STILL PLAYED TO THIS DAY ON UT2004 AND FLESH OUT THE DEVELOPMENT TO PRESENT A FUN CO-OP AND SINGLE PLAYER ONLINE REAL TIME RPGFPS

If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and check it out on UT2004.

Here's some links to some quick action if you're not familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfZO2mMD6l8
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQ-pgSxxIIts not PERFECT as-is and could definitely be tweaked for a more buzzworthy experience, but it really doesn't need to be tweaked all that much and could be a shining star in a sea of COD and Arma clones. I don't know much of the history of the development of the mod but it seems to have some serious TLC put into it. It has scripted player stats, keeps score and has character leveling and inventory scripted in, allows for server-side item storage, allows players to play different roles, and is an absolute blast. It is a very popular game mode, and if you also look at the runaway success of the Red Dead Redepmption Undead Nightmare zombie waves mode, you can get an idea of how the pacing can be picked up. The maps can be small, they can be large. They can be intended for cooperative play on teams of 2 to x. They can be easily scripted. They can feature many different enemy units and character models which are only seen a few times so there is constantly new fights so its not just spamming trash over and over again. Campaigns (and skirmishes) could be added all the time to continue the gameplay. I don't think a linear critical path is a good idea. There could be unique items and weapons. Huge raids! 32 humans vs. 1 NPC controlled base. 16 on 16 PVP! The possibilities are limitless, but looking at scope, I reiterate, check out what RPG Invasion already offers and only a few changes could make it a hit with the mass audience. Co-op when done properly is so amazing. I think it would add a lot to this game.

ANYWAYS

That's more of a design director rant than any clear conscious contribution.

UT FOR LEEZAY BAYBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Comment

Just going to post this: The 50 Best FPS Ever Made according to Rock Paper Shotgun in 2015:

BOLD are ones that I find interesting for a few reasons either because of their position or some other reason which I won't disclose etc...

The Complete List
        1 DOOM
        2 Half-Life
        3 Thief II: The Metal Age
        4 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
        5 Quake III Arena
        6 Half-Life 2
        7 Planetside 2
        8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
        9 Battlefield 1942
        10 Far Cry 2
        11 SWAT 4
        12 BioShock 2
        13 Action Quake 2
        14 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
        15 Mirror’s Edge
        16 Arma 3
        17 Crysis
        18 Natural Selection 2
        19 Wolfenstein: The New Order
        20 Alien: Isolation
        21 Left 4 Dead 2
        22 Unreal Tournament 2004
        23 Dishonored
        24 Call of Duty 2
        25 The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
        26 Rising Storm
        27 Star Wars: Dark Forces
        28 Star Wars Jedi Knight – Mysteries Of The Sith
        29 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
        30 Tribes Ascend
        31 Halo: Combat Evolved
        32 Aliens versus Predator
        33 The Typing Of The Dead
        34 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
        35 Far Cry 3
        36 Team Fortress 2
        37 Quake
        38 Descent
        39 Bulletstorm
        40 Metro 2033 Redux
        41 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
        42 Rage
        43 Tron 2.0
        44 Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
        45 Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
        46 The Darkness 2
        47 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
        48 Zeno Clash
        49 F.E.A.R.
        50 Eldritch

Comment

Originally posted by lupinglade2 View Post
          What I find modern shooters lack is dexterity in movement, or a natural feeling of being able to move around without being heavily limited. In UT this is not an issue, and this is why UT is the only game I play now. It is great to be able to feel connected to your character in game and feel that you can move freely. There are still some issues, but it's getting there. Many modern games feel like you are in a wheelchair when trying to move.

The other thing I dislike in modern shooters is overemphasis on unlocks, xp and balance of weapons. While some balance is necessary, it is important not to over balance to the point that it doesn't matter what gun you have when. Part of the fun of an FPS is the various advantages of various weapons - I think Epic has this mostly right.

Finally, a really high skill ceiling is important for the games longevity and to keep players interested in general. Unlocks and XP is all fake fluff when compared to actual in-game skill that takes time and effort to develop and improve. The game should not be designed or geared towards newbies, this is a guaranteed failure. What keeps people interested is a challenge and competition, not pretty hats or sunglasses.

I'd say the most important thing is great, natural-feeling sporty movement!
          Golden words

Comment

I played both Doom MP at Quake con and alpha online, it currently feels a lot better than UT in terms of fun factor.
            Steam
            irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
            UT Username - nvz
            gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
            || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Ive played Arcade Shooters for ages but this UT is nothing compared to the speed of some of the classics, this ROTT game is hardcore though I cant play it for extended periods.
              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I've just watched a video of REFLEX. I really like the design. I know it is very close to Q3 but do some of you have tested it ? What feedback ?
                Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                  I've just watched a video of REFLEX. I really like the design. I know it is very close to Q3 but do some of you have tested it ? What feedback ?

Reflex is very spawn rapey IMO. I'm all for spawn killling in duel, knowing spawn points is important.. but in reflex its insane. Very small maps, extremely fast paced. The only competitive scene it will have is 1v1 and probably arena TDM.

They built a whole new engine... just to copy Q3.

Comment

Reflex is decent, but I find it really hard to find games with decent ping.

Comment

Ive played Arcade Shooters for ages but this UT is nothing compared to the speed of some of the classics, this ROTT game is hardcore though I cant play it for extended periods.
                      I remember the original ROTT. When you used a certain weapon the bones would fall and they used a xylophone for the sound effect.

Comment

Originally posted by CrispyCorpses View Post
                        Reflex is very spawn rapey IMO. I'm all for spawn killling in duel, knowing spawn points is important.. but in reflex its insane. Very small maps, extremely fast paced. The only competitive scene it will have is 1v1 and probably arena TDM.

They built a whole new engine... just to copy Q3.
                        This is based on CPMA Quake 3 duel. This is the way fast style arcade duel should be. It's bare bones combat.
                        Steam
                        irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                        UT Username - nvz
                        gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                        || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Originally posted by nvz View Post
                          This is based on CPMA Quake 3 duel. This is the way fast style arcade duel should be. It's bare bones combat.
                          +1, was a huge fan of CPMA in Q3. Reason that my play style in UT4 seems very quakey

D key and shoot :P

Comment

Shootmania

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                              Shootmania
                              Brutal :P

Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Brutal :P

Indeed !

Comment

Working...
                                X