Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would make people play arena FPS games again. Thoughts from non arenafps players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Agreed. After playing Destiny, the level cap was really annoying and then trying to play UT4 and not having an always available Melee annoyed me for a while
    Yeah, and the lack of such makes the game very unmotivating to play.
    Contact me here
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/E621415270717/

Comment

Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
        Hey, they have the equivalent of 2k4 FREON.
        NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
        My movies on YouTube:
        UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
        , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
        UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

Hey there is a translocator at 35s ?!
          Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
          https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
          http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
          Discord PUG Community

Comment

Hopefully it's more like Freon, and less like Q3 Freeze Tag.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

@-AEnubis-

Haven't played the latter, how do they differ?
              NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
              My movies on YouTube:

Comment

Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
                @-AEnubis-

Haven't played the latter, how do they differ?
                It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC, primarily Q3 freeze tag is more "arena" in that you still pick up weapons and items, and pretty much everything spawns. Also when you thaw someone they respawn randomly, instead of thawing in place. It doesn't really do a great job of utilizing the frozen players as an "objective" and still relies heavily on items for map flow, yet is round based.

If rounds last more than 2 mins, quad wins.

Item timing in a round based game just felt weird.
                An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

That actually sounds closer to Showdown with item respawns. I think I would prefer the 2k4 style as well.
                  NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                  My movies on YouTube:

Comment

3spn style

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                      3spn style
                      Yes! Was actually trying to think of "3spn" but it wouldn't come to me at the time It's been too long since I've had 2k4 installed..
                      NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                      My movies on YouTube:

Comment

Honestly -- to put it plainly, they need modes that are good.

DM is solid, Duel is just 1v1 DM.

TDM is just DM with Teams.

And that's where it all falls apart -- there is nothing else to them. Arena games need to have ARENA modes. When you think of arena games in real life, there is an objective. Kills shouldn't be the objective, but a way to hinder the other team from achieving that objective. That's what CTF is all about, but CTF doesn't require any strategy the mode has no depth and so it falls flat on it's face. CTF in unreal is even worse, because there is no combat at all while you move to the flag. The only combat in this mode is defending/attacking carriers. The translocator while being really cool is also the main cause for this mode to be even more boring than a traditional CTF mode and as a result will only really be loved by a very small niche crowd who think spamming the TL makes for engaging gameplay.

The other issue with CTF in general, and the reason the TL exists is because of move speeds in games being all the same. A chaser needs to be able to catch up to the flag carrier and slowing down a carrier isn't really the right way to do it either. The game mode is basically flawed in the traditional Arena game.

So what Arena games need is a new mode that doesn't suck and requires more thinking than just being a deathmatch king.

Comment

Originally posted by Laokin View Post

DM is solid, Duel is just 1v1 DM.

TDM is just DM with Teams.

And that's where it all falls apart -- there is nothing else to them. Arena games need to have ARENA modes. When you think of arena games in real life, there is an objective. Kills shouldn't be the objective, but a way to hinder the other team from achieving that objective. That's what CTF is all about, but CTF doesn't require any strategy the mode has no depth and so it falls flat on it's face. CTF in unreal is even worse, because there is no combat at all while you move to the flag. The only combat in this mode is defending/attacking carriers. The translocator while being really cool is also the main cause for this mode to be even more boring than a traditional CTF mode and as a result will only really be loved by a very small niche crowd who think spamming the TL makes for engaging gameplay.

The other issue with CTF in general, and the reason the TL exists is because of move speeds in games being all the same. A chaser needs to be able to catch up to the flag carrier and slowing down a carrier isn't really the right way to do it either. The game mode is basically flawed in the traditional Arena game.

So what Arena games need is a new mode that doesn't suck and requires more thinking than just being a deathmatch king.
                          Assault was a pretty good game mode back in the days. It should make a come back!
                          Rawr1234 on Unreal Tournament play-test servers and IRC!

Comment

Originally posted by Laokin View Post
                            Were thinking of something like bomb in warsow, or cs but warsow is closer. Instead of having a bomb . In warsow you can only pick three weapons + mele, there's one primary, one secondary and the worse one I guess . I think it would fit better if weapons were picked like only two players can pick sniper rifle, All can pick stinger. Some close combat players with rockets, flak / shock and so on.

Personally I think bomb should be replaced with an USB drive with a virus on it that you to bring into nuclear power plant or something of that sort. Same as in bomb, There would be A site and B site. The objective would be to release a virus into the system. Feels like it would fit the futuristic feel of Unreal more then bomb and something warsow should've done.

Comment

One thing that made me think that TF2 was fun as hell were the silly things like taunting / tauntkill the dancing in spawn. Something similar could be done here, should of course be much more vulgar, rip someones head off with the spine attached.

Comment

Email 2hrs ago: Welcome to the DOOM Closed Beta! AWESOME! Only 48 Hours till it begins Countdown Timer

Attached Files
                                Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Working...
                                X