Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would make people play arena FPS games again. Thoughts from non arenafps players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Posted this over on Bethesda DOOM Close Beta Forum:

permanent haste and quad as a game mode to speed up gameplay

richardboegli Apr 3, 2016 15:37 +8UTC

The movement and weapon damage in DOOM feels slow and weak after coming from Unreal Tournament 4.

I thought that an easy way to compensate would be to have a Haste and Quad damage mode where everyone spawns with haste and quad damage for the duration of the match.

This would allow for faster gameplay which people from arena FPSes would be accustom too.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Email 2hrs ago: Welcome to the DOOM Closed Beta! AWESOME! Only 48 Hours till it begins Countdown Timer

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One thing that made me think that TF2 was fun as hell were the silly things like taunting / tauntkill the dancing in spawn. Something similar could be done here, should of course be much more vulgar, rip someones head off with the spine attached.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Laokin View Post
    Honestly -- to put it plainly, they need modes that are good.
    Were thinking of something like bomb in warsow, or cs but warsow is closer. Instead of having a bomb . In warsow you can only pick three weapons + mele, there's one primary, one secondary and the worse one I guess . I think it would fit better if weapons were picked like only two players can pick sniper rifle, All can pick stinger. Some close combat players with rockets, flak / shock and so on.

Personally I think bomb should be replaced with an USB drive with a virus on it that you to bring into nuclear power plant or something of that sort. Same as in bomb, There would be A site and B site. The objective would be to release a virus into the system. Feels like it would fit the futuristic feel of Unreal more then bomb and something warsow should've done.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Laokin View Post

DM is solid, Duel is just 1v1 DM.

TDM is just DM with Teams.

And that's where it all falls apart -- there is nothing else to them. Arena games need to have ARENA modes. When you think of arena games in real life, there is an objective. Kills shouldn't be the objective, but a way to hinder the other team from achieving that objective. That's what CTF is all about, but CTF doesn't require any strategy the mode has no depth and so it falls flat on it's face. CTF in unreal is even worse, because there is no combat at all while you move to the flag. The only combat in this mode is defending/attacking carriers. The translocator while being really cool is also the main cause for this mode to be even more boring than a traditional CTF mode and as a result will only really be loved by a very small niche crowd who think spamming the TL makes for engaging gameplay.

The other issue with CTF in general, and the reason the TL exists is because of move speeds in games being all the same. A chaser needs to be able to catch up to the flag carrier and slowing down a carrier isn't really the right way to do it either. The game mode is basically flawed in the traditional Arena game.

So what Arena games need is a new mode that doesn't suck and requires more thinking than just being a deathmatch king.
    Assault was a pretty good game mode back in the days. It should make a come back!

Leave a comment:

• replied

DM is solid, Duel is just 1v1 DM.

TDM is just DM with Teams.

And that's where it all falls apart -- there is nothing else to them. Arena games need to have ARENA modes. When you think of arena games in real life, there is an objective. Kills shouldn't be the objective, but a way to hinder the other team from achieving that objective. That's what CTF is all about, but CTF doesn't require any strategy the mode has no depth and so it falls flat on it's face. CTF in unreal is even worse, because there is no combat at all while you move to the flag. The only combat in this mode is defending/attacking carriers. The translocator while being really cool is also the main cause for this mode to be even more boring than a traditional CTF mode and as a result will only really be loved by a very small niche crowd who think spamming the TL makes for engaging gameplay.

The other issue with CTF in general, and the reason the TL exists is because of move speeds in games being all the same. A chaser needs to be able to catch up to the flag carrier and slowing down a carrier isn't really the right way to do it either. The game mode is basically flawed in the traditional Arena game.

So what Arena games need is a new mode that doesn't suck and requires more thinking than just being a deathmatch king.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
    3spn style
    Yes! Was actually trying to think of "3spn" but it wouldn't come to me at the time It's been too long since I've had 2k4 installed..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3spn style

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That actually sounds closer to Showdown with item respawns. I think I would prefer the 2k4 style as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
    @-AEnubis-

Haven't played the latter, how do they differ?
    It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC, primarily Q3 freeze tag is more "arena" in that you still pick up weapons and items, and pretty much everything spawns. Also when you thaw someone they respawn randomly, instead of thawing in place. It doesn't really do a great job of utilizing the frozen players as an "objective" and still relies heavily on items for map flow, yet is round based.

If rounds last more than 2 mins, quad wins.

Item timing in a round based game just felt weird.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @-AEnubis-

Haven't played the latter, how do they differ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hopefully it's more like Freon, and less like Q3 Freeze Tag.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there is a translocator at 35s ?!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Hey, they have the equivalent of 2k4 FREON.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X