Bots need to go to 11...when Godlike isn't enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bots need to go to 11...when Godlike isn't enough

I play IG against bots when I cannot play against human players due to various constraints.

Played first Godlike bot match and the max level was 7.9

Not sure how the value affects the attributes of the bot, but if we could have a console option or something to be able to raise this that'd be great.

Thanks.

And now for the Spinal Tap reference (Source IMDB):

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

The AI gets a bump at 4.0 and many stats peak out at 7.0.
    Skill won't fix their behavioral deficiencies, though.

Comment

Agree, when we had the bot roster available in earlier builds we could up bot stats (aim, movement etc) and their skill ratings could go up to about 9. Need to get bot roster back imo as the current godlike bots aren't enough.

Comment

It'd be really helpful to get actual feedback on deficiencies instead of "I'm so l33t I need skill 11 bots!"

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
          It'd be really helpful to get actual feedback on deficiencies instead of "I'm so l33t I need skill 11 bots!"

Thanks
          hehe, Touché

The only feedback I can give so far, is that they seem to stand around sometimes for no apparent reason. This was on DM-NickTest1.
          As soon as I shoot past them, they wake up and usually frag me.

I managed to win my first IG match with InHuman today, so I'm far from l33t, that's for sure

I was asking in anticipation of surpassing Godlike as I am not able to beat them yet.

What prompted the question was to better understand what parameters actually drove the bots skill level, so that I could observe the behavior and be able to provide meaningful feedback.

I was unable to watch and participate during the development of the bot AI for UT4, even though it was one of the things which interested me the most. Here is a post from Aug 2014 that I did: AI is now on Trello Board - UE4 tutorial and UT^2: Winning Botprize 2012 Entry

My plan is to run through the general AI bot tutorials for UE4, then dive into the UT4 source code and then see if I can find any old UT Streams where the bot development was discussed.

Any pointers or if you have alternative suggestions to get up to speed with UT4 bots would be appreciated.

Thanks.
          Last edited by richardboegli; 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM. Reason: InHuman not Masterful

Comment

Can't speak to the UT4 bots, as I haven't tried that yet, but to make your bots tougher you gotta do more than increase the game skill level. You need to goto the bots themselves and increase their individual stats.

You make some bots of low skill:

You make some bots of insanely unbeatable skill:

You make some that're somewhere in-between those:

No matter what the game skill level is set at, if all your bots are the exact same skill then there's no challenge. Mix 'em up, make them different from each other.
            Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

I get what your saying.

I'm curious as to how these are laid out in the code now. Might skip my original step 1 and go to step 2 for a quick look

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post

I was asking in anticipation of surpassing Godlike as I am not able to beat them yet.
                well to be honest doing multi godlike vs godlike bots is pretty easy from my point of fiew

but i must admit some bots seems to do better on maps i havent played that much yet (dm -deep + clanlord for example could be challenging sometimes)

my favorite bot is VISSE she s acting more or less like a "human" and sometimes she s doing crazy tactical stuff (wich impresses me mostly on new maps im trying out)

but usually you know how they act and run after a few matches and that results in a 30-50+ to mostly negative score for them (like 35 : -8 )

so yes i would appreciate if the bots would be improved a lot (mainly movement wise)
                Last edited by Seeboo; 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM.
                HEY KIDS LETS MEET AT THE FLAK SPAWN FOR A ****** PARTY !

Comment

Thanks
                  I'm not exactly "l33t", but the main thing is movement..
                  Basically, if you take a flak, or RL into a fight with a bot of any skill level, you have an almost guaranteed win.
                  When bots go to pick up powerups, they move in a straight line, extremely easy to pick off
                  Bots in general like to move in straight lines when not engaged in battle, this can be seen especially in CTF when they have a flag, or are trying to capture/return it

Apart from that:
                  Bots don't seem to like picking up/returning flags (or, at least when they're on your team ^^) I was in a bot match with low hp at some time, trans'ed out so the bot supporting me could take it, and approximately 15 seconds later the enemy team returned it - as an example
                  It would be great if bots didn't know where you are, more than once have I walked into a rocket or combo where a bot absent-mindedly calculated my trajectory from behind a wall
                  I'm not sure how accurate this is because I have no statistics, but bots seem to cling to certain weapons, namely stinger and link... it is rare that I see a bot wielding a flak or a sniper (unless a map like Face gives them very little choice)

That's all I could think of for now, thank you for reading

Comment

Thanks
                    I notice your commit:
                    Mysterial- 2016-02-19
                    Improved high skill bots strafing evasively when moving and not directly engaging in combat
                    [CL 2873062 by Matt Oelfke in UT-Clean branch]

This will be interesting to see in action.

Comment

Working...
                    X