Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOOM - new demo, visual clarity looks awesome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM - new demo, visual clarity looks awesome?

This video is only here for purpose of talking about visual clarity regarding how maps look detailed and dark, still characters are purelly visible from short 1p video.

Can Epic Team, #Unreal Tournament "learn" or maybe "study" how clarity should look like?
    Cause colours look like ut2k4 brightskins, characters are purely visible all the time, in dark and in light, see for yourself in video and leave a comment.

If I am breaking any rules please remove the thread, I had not intention of breaking rules!!!!

There you go. This is what I would love to see. High detail caratcers (notice how the art of the character models actually does NOT get lost like it does in UT4 now) but they pop up beautifly. It can be done and here's the proof. I just still don't know how they managed to do that. It does look like the player models are not afected by environment lighting completely and they have a separate lighting for them... which is what I suggested to try a year ago but oh well, it's never too late. I guess this could be possible to try with the editor... **** I need a new PC. Also the environments are dark, while players are on the bright side which does help also as it makes them pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
      There you go. This is what I would love to see. High detail caratcers (notice how the art of the character models actually does NOT get lost like it does in UT4 now) but they pop up beautifly. It can be done and here's the proof. I just still don't know how they managed to do that. It does look like the player models are not afected by environment lighting completely and they have a separate lighting for them... which is what I suggested to try a year ago but oh well, it's never too late. I guess this could be possible to try with the editor... **** I need a new PC. Also the environments are dark, while players are on the bright side which does help also as it makes them pop up.
      I made it that way like 6 months ago, but was not pleased by community, it was just example it is possible. I even overdoit on purpose to proof that it works.

Attached Files

Comment

I remember that in UT3 was an interesting realization of visibility - the characters faintly glow and the farther they are from the player, the better they can be seen.

Comment

The doom characters show that you can have highly visible models that still look good.
          :|

Comment

I remember that you have done this, but it's not really what I have in mind. Or maybe it is and you just added a red overlay on top? What I mean is to make the models a bit brighter then the environment to create some contrast, but not make it solid color, so to preserve details. But then I don't know how it would work in well lit maps as in DOOM I guess all their maps will be dark, so they don't have to deal with that.

**** I can't stop watching the trailer, they really have done exactly spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
              I made it that way like 6 months ago, but was not pleased by community, it was just example it is possible. I even overdoit on purpose to proof that it works.

Sorry but this screenshot is far from being any good. It's like a shower of red paint over the character which is ugly.

What they did in DOOM is almost perfect with chars standing out from whatever background they have, imo it could be improved even more but thats already 200x better to what we have in ut NOW.

Comment

Viperozza i did it on purpose just to show you can do it. And what I did is overdoit on purpose i know its a glowstick. But its proof its possible to have a skin that doeant intwract woth shadows and its visible at same time .

Its intwrsting how doom even has white characters and they are still visible :P

Comment

lighting is the biggest problem I belive, this game or in this trailer there are no lighting effects like un UT4, why? I dont understand why Epic need some much time to change things, something is wrong fix it, you don't need couple of months to do that.

Comment

DOOM video does look good.

I do like [MENTION=6640]bass3[/MENTION] idea for the visual clarity concept of the model.

Model can still be detailed, just needs to stand out from environment somehow.
                    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Doom looks amazing ! Eyes height and player size look good too.
                      Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                      https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                      http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                      Discord PUG Community

Comment

this DOOM is what UT4 could have been if Epic didn't treat it as a side project doomed to fail on arrival

Comment

Originally posted by simple. View Post
                          this DOOM is what UT4 could have been if Epic didn't treat it as a side project doomed to fail on arrival
                          It ain't over till it ships. #PREALPHA
                          Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

It's all in how they design the lighting and textures in the levels imo. First, environments aren't flooded with bright daylight and highlights just because they can. The brightness spectrum is consistently and squarely in the mid range, where perceived color saturation peaks. Second, there isn't high frequency detail everywhere. Even in areas where there is high detail, it tends to mostly be related hues, mostly earthy sandy tones which are not present in the characters.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                              It's all in how they design the lighting and textures in the levels imo. First, environments aren't flooded with bright daylight and highlights just because they can. The brightness spectrum is consistently and squarely in the mid range, where perceived color saturation peaks. Second, there isn't high frequency detail everywhere. Even in areas where there is high detail, it tends to mostly be related hues, mostly earthy sandy tones which are not present in the characters.
                              Actually, not really. Look at the first environment. It's bacially the same as Outpost23. But still, the complete white player is beautifully visible against the white wall. That's something which is not happening in UT4's Outpost map.

Comment

Working...
                              X