Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please remember the chill dnb/scifi atmospheres!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please remember the chill dnb/scifi atmospheres!!

Game devs, fellow Unreal Tournament players, my greatest concerns for any upcoming UT title would be a great forgetting of one component that made the atmosphere so appealing.

My simplest and greatest example would be the visuals and music in Facing Worlds - I think everyone knows of this map and yet most modern sci-fi shooter incarnations bear no acknowledgement of this style's greatness. It isn't a style exclusive to UT (though UT was a great proponent of DnB+high sci-fi atmospheres, other games like MDK2 for dreamcast also had this), but we haven't really seen it since.

Anyway here is a small reminder

I love this genre of music (which is still quite prevalent on youtube) SPECIFICALLY because it takes me back to this time period and because it's easy to listen to for hours on end. I hope I can generate some kind of hype for this style. Meanwhile I'm going to update this thread with more examples.

Thanks for your consideration (and do relocate this thread if this isn't the best place for it).
    Last edited by Resilga; 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM.

'Run' was probably one of my favorite UT tracks, spent many nights making maps to that tune.

Comment

The cold, interior corridors of space vessels and lonely planets are definitely welcome but I also need plain ******* OUTER SPACE/GALAXIES/NEBULAE/THE COSMOS just in my face while I'm enjoying my maps (one reason I love Quake 3's Longest Yard map). I promise I understand that sheer map design is king when making any competitive fps so don't let me get in the way of that but I promise one of the best things that stick with you from any great game is the ambiance.

Also I just like the song in this vid. (gets good at :35)

Comment

I just want to see this game restored to its former greatness. I don't want a UT clone, I want to see if we can advance the name while paying homage to its roots; remembering where you came from is just too important in things like this.

God what great music though.

Comment

Originally posted by stuman View Post
          'Run' was probably one of my favorite UT tracks, spent many nights making maps to that tune.

Thanks for the reminder! **** man.
          Okay last song I promise. Gonna just look for atmosphere.

Comment

Great example of what a skybox can do for a level... Just 3 random buildings (great level btw) but it gains a completely different feeling by putting it in ******* SPACE.

I'll make this my last post for a while. Sorry if this was annoying for anybody but I hope my point is clear.

Comment

Music was always one of the main things that made UT my favorite game. Let's hope the new UT will have that in mind

Comment

I really loved how the music in the first UT was all made from tracker as I doubt it will in UT2k14, I still would love the 90's fast paced jungle music like Forgone Destruction
                FEAR THE TATER

Comment

You know what's funny? A moment ago, I loaded up UT and played Facing Worlds just to kick *** to the awesome soundtrack. And on my nostalgic journey, I learned they were developing a new Unreal Tournament. I almost cried.
                  I'm really hoping they maintain that same ambiance that they had in UT99. UT2k4 had some really good tracks too. I think UT is not only the reason I love PC gaming, but also why I love electronic music.

Comment

The drum and base/jungle music is the must for the new UT.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone here.

I'm not saying that UT3 was a bad game (it actually became quite reasonable after a few patches and remains pretty fun) but it seldom had anything near what I would call a "fondly memorable atmosphere." I just hope the devs take note of this and will perhaps consider just a few nods in old UT's direction.

Comment

While we're at it, feel free to use this thread to post some videos of your favorite tracks/levels! I'm positive you'll have many who agree but the important thing is to make everyone REMEMBER...

15 years is a lonnnng time ago!

Comment

just another great level! Noxx

Comment

Favorite UT track: Mechanism Eight!

http://youtu.be/xITEvQiaPI4

Comment

This is actually from Unreal, not UT, but this makes me all emotional:

http://youtu.be/9s8DBkCPdY0#t=5m30s

Comment

Working...
                              X