Hit registration/Netcode in this build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    i.e. say on stream what you're focusing on with the upcoming build, for example this one it was largely about getting 4.12 up and running.
    I should point out that Steve did say that on the last stream. He said this one was focusing on 4.12 and the next one will focus on content.

Edit: (I think I misread your post so ignore this post).
    Last edited by MΛuL; 05-15-2016, 12:09 AM.
    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Would like to mention I too feel there is a massive lack of communication. I have talked to countless people who are super eager to contribute, working on things, etc. but feel like their efforts are just draining into a black hole, what's the point? Nobody has the slightest clue what is going on afaik.

Really I would like to know, are you guys overwhelmed with just trying to take care of your own business and cannot spare any time to deal with trying to work with the community? Have the thousands of the worst community comments driven you to insanity and you're afraid to engage?

Is there a task you can delegate to us to help lighten the load and give you some breathing room to reorganize and find a way to work with us? One way or another we need to communicate so that we understand each other and are on the same page. When there is a void people often fill it with the worst scenarios and it helps brew a negative atmosphere.

EDIT: Forgot to add I want to say I think you guys are for the most part doing a great job. It seems often we are only spurred to communicate when its something negative and don't find the time when its something positive. The last build before this most recent one was a pretty nice step up and the game felt pretty decent to play imo. In fact this last build is actually quite nice as well with the performance improvements, it just had some unfortunate warts slip in as is the norm for pre-alpha development. However being that this is "open" dev the average community tester doesn't expect or want such things to end up in the releases.

I had a lot of fun playing many duels and really appreciate it. Certainly there is still a ton of work to be done and things could be much better, but I hope it isn't as dire as some think!
      Last edited by Xarev; 05-14-2016, 05:39 PM.
      Xarev's Guide to Traceroute
      Add me on Steam for duels

Comment

Originally posted by timbur View Post
        I had really high hopes for UT, and once upon a time I believed that the game would eventually be good. But I no longer feel this way, and I know of many others who were unwaveringly hopeful up until a few months ago (at least), which is definitely not a good sign. Too much of the core architecture of the game (and possibly the engine?) is fundamentally flawed. For UT to stand any chance at a future, it needs to be remade from the ground up by a dedicated team who prioritizes not only player experience and gameplay above all else, but developer experience as well. It seems that priorities are backwards right now. When profits are prioritized over doing things the right way, this poorly cobbled together mess called Unreal Tournament is what happens. It might seem like a good idea in the short term, but it never works in the long term. And what's ironic is that if things were done right from the start (for both UT and the engine), all of this would eventually be wayyyyy more successful (and profitable) than it is now (i.e., not at all). That's how companies like Blizzard are able to make $1.7+ billion every year. They understand that doing things the right way from the very beginning yields the best results, regardless of how long it takes. They come up with a plan, put the necessary resources towards it, and they take their time to implement it properly, one step at a time, prioritizing gameplay and user experience above all else. No amount of hats, skins, or pretty graphics will keep people around if their experience isn't enjoyable. Blizzard didn't get to where they are by cutting corners. Blizzard's goal is clearly to create things that people want and enjoy, not to make a quick buck. Blizzard obviously understands that in the gaming industry, the business side of things comes after delivering a polished product. I mean, just look at the amount of time/effort/passion they put into Overwatch's sound design alone. It's incredible: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023317...sive-Goal-Play
        This paragraph seems to sum up a lot of what I feel is wrong right now. Epic seem to be focusing on everything but gameplay right now, which if the game is not fun, no one is going to be playing anyway. No matter what features you concoct. I REALLY want a successful UT, but the overall direction and some silly decisions (just look at the HUD right now. Who in their right mind thought it would be good to clutter EVERYTHING around the crosshair. You have to be able to see what is in front of you to play the game...) are leaving me disappointed and I'm losing confidence more and more each day. I really feel the community would not be as "whiny" if the core elements (movement, weapon balancing, netcode, and mouse input) were in a lot better shape.
        Ðarth|UA|
        Youtube

Come play CTF and Elimination Pick Up Games (PUGS) with us at: https://discord.gg/BbPPCBx . You can also go to http://ut4pugs.us Hope to see you all there!

Comment

It's because of the movement prediction, which consistently puts players in positions they never were on the server, so you can line up a shot and directly hit the enemy on your screen but if they changed their direction (which happens quite often), it won't register. All these issues with hit registration... I predicted over a year ago. And it's really frustrating from my perspective because I play (well, I used to play) the game so I'm painfully aware of the frequency of unregistered shots, and I also know that this stuff is relatively easy and should have been top priority and completed over a year ago. I had also offered to implement the hit registration myself but was turned down.
          You aren't wrong, when you have a high ping the player prediction does make mistakes that could have you miss. But the OP stated that he had 25ms to the server, there's no way when the compensation is split between rewind and prediction that it could make a big enough error that a clear hit on your screen would miss. That means it's some kind of bug or one-off situation that causes this and not the ping compensation model in general.

Half of the complaints about netcode I hear are more along the lines of people shooting you from behind a corner before you could even see them, and undodgeable combos and rockets. The other half are unregistered shots, and this only started happening often a few builds back (with hitscan).

Epic just needs to fix this bug, whether it's with hitboxes or netcode, and also look into the unregistering direct projectile hits. Instagib should just use rewind only since there's no projectiles, and netcode overall should be optimized to have less server processing delays and buffers.

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
            Anyway, tldr; this would be a lot easier if people calmed the hell down.
            This is essentially empowering the inmates to run the asylum. Even when there is a substantial portion of the community that is calm, silent, or even self-censoring, the fact that a vocal minority is enough to impair the entire development process is a very bad sign, and I'm not going to blame the vocal minority for finding a weakness. By its very nature communities have bad apples and roving sentiments, and we should be able to thrive in spite of that, like every other community.

If you think it's bad enough that there need to be bans, then you should be looking to appoint more moderators. But I don't think any of the more famous bans are the result of intentional trolling or disruptive behavior, just clashes of personality.

Comment

[MENTION=7008]Barktooth[/MENTION] Right. There are definitely multiple issues here, not just the one I outlined. I was addressing [MENTION=14194]213[/MENTION]'s specific concerns about movement. I would outline all of the other issues I've noticed but there's not really much point unless I know something would actually be done about it.
              Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

[MENTION=7008]Barktooth[/MENTION] Right. There are definitely multiple issues here, not just the one I outlined. I was addressing [MENTION=14194]213[/MENTION]'s specific concerns about movement. I would outline all of the other issues I've noticed but there's not really much point unless I know something would actually be done about it.
                Ah whoops, missed that. There's certainly some issues but I just think the current ping compensation model is a good balance between no ping compensation and full rewind for normal weapons. It doesn't make sense for instagib but I think with some optimization it would be the best solution for normal weapons.

Would be nice if it was possible to make it full rewind without the undodgeable shots in close range but I doubt it is.

Comment

Comment

And the award for the most depressing thread of the year goes to.... (yep, I think it's safe to give it out this early in the year).
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I really want to fault your post [MENTION=6001]raxxy[/MENTION], I really want to come at you telling you youre wrong but unfortunately I agree with you and Im not even on the Overwatch bandwagon!

[MENTION=225]NATO_chrisjm[/MENTION], I can see you point there too but maybe Epic should be supporting some members of the community more than others, I feel as though better mod/community support earlier would have solved some of the issues we have now as [MENTION=6001]raxxy[/MENTION] says. Im constantly battling with Epics CPP to make anything in BP and the CPP alternative is no better for us on the outside.

Personally I always felt that the members of the community that have been around awhile should have been elevated as any Joe Blow can get on here spewing garbage and I see that as problematic. Ive committed alot of time to this project and I would love to discuss things with Epic in the Contributors section but I was never able to, maybe because of the actions of the people Epic chose before me, it never felt fair. I know Ive been blunt on occasion but we all need to hear it, Ive been told quite a few times and we succeed because we learn from failure...

Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

no problem overwatch in 9 days

Comment

or lawbreakers soon ;]

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ps View Post
                              or lawbreakers soon ;]
                              Or Battleborn, Battlefield One, Call of Duty: Infinite Borefare, Destiny, Halo, Doom... The list goes on and on, these arnt small shabby FPS games from no names, these are all AAA bread and butter, the type of title which kills small indie titles like UT!

Maybe Epic didnt get the memo, its not 1998 and they still arnt king!
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-15-2016, 11:10 PM.
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                                Long post

Well raxxy, perfect post imo. Too bad it's gonna be ignored

Comment

Working...
                                X