No announcement yet.

Hit registration/Netcode in this build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been the raxxy in another popular open source mod for 10 years and its funny how similar the issues are. He seems to have had the best seat in the house and I can't help but believe him when he says devs are adding features vs. fixing bugs. Its boring to fix bugs right? Features are fun to code! The mod I worked for had the same problem, too many feature focused developers. I know all to well that developers generally don't play their games and its obvious in the latest build. This game isn't like Overwatch or any of those other mods mentioned. It is a highly competitive game that has a brutally high skillcap. So you can't help but question 'what they hell were they thinking' when text draws are covering your screen, damaging indicators and watermarks are on the screen and the link gun now looks like a ghostbusters gun with birthday party confetti when you hit the walls.

The thing that makes me nervous is I hear through the grapevine that the priveleged members who used to be able to get some player perspective across to the devs feel largely ignored and are jumping ship at this point.

The most important point I finally found on the very last post: What is the roadmap (timeline) for this game? I've been here 1 1/2 years and it has been "Pre-Alpha" the entire time. Having the title "Pre-Alpha" is like a disclaimer you can throw in anybody's face at any given time.

EDIT: One last thing, the mod I worked on was also FREE and I know what it feels like to take a lot of flak from ungreatful ******** ...especially towards those who are working on this for free. I appreciate Epic trying to revive this game...
    Last edited by Ransom8316075924; 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM.
    AKA ||Ransom from Absolute clan.
    I have a WIP map. DM-Mosnar on Absolute Atlanta Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlane View Post
      It seems that this build has brought a significant decrease in hit registration across the board. In previous builds, on occasion you'd have shots that appear to fly through the enemy hitbox, but deal no damage. In return you'd also actually see shots that hit you, but you don't take any damage. In this build this seems to now be a frequent problem.
      Found your problem, put it in bold. In the world of rewind, appearances are not important. Just where your crosshair feels like it was when you pulled the trigger.

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
      Weird.. for me I usually get no more than 3-4 shots per game that hit and don't register (with hitscan, not counting the direct rockets/flak balls that don't register) , so 30-40% seems excessive. Maybe that server was lagging out?
      Funny, I hardly got 3-4 shots my entire UT career that hit and didn't register.

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
      The other half are unregistered shots, and this only started happening often a few builds back (with hitscan).
      Well, to be fair, no one will complain about free stuff. As many false positives happen as false negatives, and it's been every build I've played. Visual shot draws can't be trusted, and if it feels like you're getting non-regs with hitscan, shoot behind your target, because the model is overcompensating. Which might not be so bad if it did so consistently, but still highly unintuitive.

Originally posted by BrutalSector View Post
      Epic Games never provided a clear roadmap for this project, we don't even know if they know themselves where they are going with it. We don't know what is left to be added, etc. Maybe it would be best to take a back seat until they reach Alpha stage and relax.
      Very this. I'm also not a fan of doing everything by feel. Balance by feel should follow a good mathematical model of a foundation. As was said by the more code savvy folks in this thread, you're just making more work for yourself in the long run.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Didn't read anything other than the OP in this thread, I agree that it seems worse to me this build. There have always been some hitreg problems but I noticed it immediately after just a few games of Elimination, it was especially noticeable with Sniper.

When you've been playing the UT series at a high level for 12+ years, you will notice netcode differences pretty quickly. Take it for what you want but I agree with the OP. I feel the same way.

Comment

best hit registration i've ever seen was with Day of Defeat, in the beta days.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            maximum post about Overwatch and netcode and stuff.
            I also noticed this man. Blizzard just knows how to optimize their games...its insane

Comment

I'm getting this no-register hits with rockets and flak, most likely other weapons. Also, i get hit with something that appears far from where my player is and I seem to get insta killed often without being directly hit . Mostly with the last 2 builds; but current build has made this kinda not fun to play.

Comment

Originally posted by N3k0_94 View Post
                I also noticed this man. Blizzard just knows how to optimize their games...its insane
                Which is incredible for a company that hasn't made an FPS before. That I know of.

Then again, maybe WoW and Diablo 3 have better netcode than I realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                  Which is incredible for a company that hasn't made an FPS before. That I know of.

Then again, maybe WoW and Diablo 3 have better netcode than I realize.

As much as I would like to hate blizzard you cannot. Overwatch's fun factor is phenomenal even with their **** half-anime art direction. How can Blizzard accomplish this and UT struggling for like what, 2 years now? And dont give me that 'small team' excuse. The game was better in 2015. Everything that is currently ruining UT4 is CLEARLY wrong decisions.

Comment

For me the biggest problem with MOBA style games are the classes, in UT/arena style fps you have so many different weapons and firemodes to your exposal, in Overwatch kinda game you become so limited with options when having to pick a class, I don't like limited options. In Overwatch the weapons limit your playstyle/strategy, in UT your imagination is your limit. But I guess for the modern gamer limiting options fits better as he/she will have a brainfart when there's more than 3 options to use at a time.
                    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 05-22-2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                      For me the biggest problem with MOBA style games are the classes, in UT/arena style fps you have so many different weapons and firemodes to your exposal, in Overwatch kinda game you become so limited with options when having to pick a class, I don't like limited options. In Overwatch the weapons limit your playstyle/strategy, in UT your imagination is your limit. But I guess for the modern gamer limiting options fits better as he/she will have a brainfart when there's more than 3 options to use at a time.

Overwatch is not a moba, you can change class in your spawn and your imagination is key to how utilize your class. I dont really get you say about the 'limit' but trust me, there is no limit in overwatch. And that is why it is actually fun. I **** you not, I never liked blizzard or the copy-paste games they make but Overwatch is a great game. Trust me on this.

Comment

If you think Overwatch gameplay is great then I can't take your opinions on UT as credible.

Comment

To be fair this thread really isn't about game play.

Where as Overwatch wasn't really enough to "grab me" game play wise, I did not spend the entire time playing, telling my monitor which shots should have hit or missed.
                          Originally posted by Mysterial
                          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I want to see an option where everything is server side. Side step all issues and just force everything to be on the server. possibly even figure out a way to even make your mouse aiming to be server side too. Maybe show a second cross hair to display where you are aiming on the server or something.
                            - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                            Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                            Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Originally posted by Scxmdrxg View Post
                              As much as I would like to hate blizzard you cannot. Overwatch's fun factor is phenomenal even with their **** half-anime art direction. How can Blizzard accomplish this and UT struggling for like what, 2 years now? And dont give me that 'small team' excuse. The game was better in 2015. Everything that is currently ruining UT4 is CLEARLY wrong decisions.
                              Overwatch was borne of Titan, which was in development for many years. Whilst it is indeed a fantastic game, with very few performance/networking issues, it's not a fair comparison.

I'm not trying to make any comment on game design, weapon balance, or Epic's grand scheme for UT here. I'm simply trying to convey the point that performance and networking should be high on the priority list for QA of a new build. Previous builds have had issues here. But I've managed to get by with them, usually by avoiding whatever maps/servers/settings are most prone to causing performance/network issues.

However I'm finding that in this build there's no more workarounds. Both of the modes I play (CTF and Duel) are effected. I haven't played a single CTF game yet that hasn't had my shots/transloc frequently disappear in mid air, and with so many hits that do no damage/don't even connect in the first place. Every hub seems to hitch with weapon CTF after 15-30 minutes of play. Frequently they crash after a few minutes of this. Duel is working better, I imagine because it's less stressful server side. But even there the inconsistent hit reg is making it frustrating.

Not to try to make any threat towards Epic, or that anyone would particularly care, but I'm strongly considering leaving the game for the foreseeable future, maybe returning when it's in a beta/release state and these issues have been addressed.

I'll also note that RZE commented on this on Discord a few days ago, saying it was likely a combination of hitbox/netcode issues. Certainly Epic are aware of it, I'm just hoping that such issues are rooted out and dealt with more thoroughly before builds are deployed in future.

As a further note - I'm also a game developer. I know that development builds can be a hell of a lot worse than the builds we get here. We're talking crashes on launch, big ole memory leaks, total desyncs between client and server, massive rendering problems, etc. However as a player, and a somewhat competitive one at that, even minor imperfections in core gameplay can be frustrating. Especially when UT has historically been such a high achiever. As such I'd be willing to entertain the idea that it's perhaps too early to be pushing competitive play. And maybe these initial stages of development could be done behind closed doors, going into public testing in late alpha/beta.
                              Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nes710 View Post
                                If you think Overwatch gameplay is great then I can't take your opinions on UT as credible.

I wouldnt care, I dont really care if you think it's credible or not. Because fanboys never do. I only speak the truth, OW is extremely polished. If you dont like the gameplay then it's fine, no game is everyone's cup of tea. The problem is that my opinions are not only mine but by a big number of players. UT4 is not fun at the moment and as I said before, its ironic because it was better in 2015.

Originally posted by Tamerlane View Post
                                Overwatch was borne of Titan, which was in development for many years. Whilst it is indeed a fantastic game, with very few performance/networking issues, it's not a fair comparison.

I'm not trying to make any comment on game design, weapon balance, or Epic's grand scheme for UT here. I'm simply trying to convey the point that performance and networking should be high on the priority list for QA of a new build. Previous builds have had issues here. But I've managed to get by with them, usually by avoiding whatever maps/servers/settings are most prone to causing performance/network issues.

However I'm finding that in this build there's no more workarounds. Both of the modes I play (CTF and Duel) are effected. I haven't played a single CTF game yet that hasn't had my shots/transloc frequently disappear in mid air, and with so many hits that do no damage/don't even connect in the first place. Every hub seems to hitch with weapon CTF after 15-30 minutes of play. Frequently they crash after a few minutes of this. Duel is working better, I imagine because it's less stressful server side. But even there the inconsistent hit reg is making it frustrating.

Not to try to make any threat towards Epic, or that anyone would particularly care, but I'm strongly considering leaving the game for the foreseeable future, maybe returning when it's in a beta/release state and these issues have been addressed.

I'll also note that RZE commented on this on Discord a few days ago, saying it was likely a combination of hitbox/netcode issues. Certainly Epic are aware of it, I'm just hoping that such issues are rooted out and dealt with more thoroughly before builds are deployed in future.

As a further note - I'm also a game developer. I know that development builds can be a hell of a lot worse than the builds we get here. We're talking crashes on launch, big ole memory leaks, total desyncs between client and server, massive rendering problems, etc. However as a player, and a somewhat competitive one at that, even minor imperfections in core gameplay can be frustrating. Especially when UT has historically been such a high achiever. As such I'd be willing to entertain the idea that it's perhaps too early to be pushing competitive play. And maybe these initial stages of development could be done behind closed doors, going into public testing in late alpha/beta.

I agree with you, but I never tried to compare OW and UT4. Sorry if it sounded like that. The problem here is that when a year of development goes by and there is no major content and new things I hardly find any reason to stay even though I love UT as a universe to the death. The problems that are taking place is that Epic continues to make this game with the mind of 'esports' instead of fun. And that was where OW came in the discussion. I do not really compare this early alpha to OW which is a finished product but more on the fun/gameplay decisions.
                                Last edited by Scxmdrxg; 05-22-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X