Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's going on here? http://plays.tv/video/57803678b1a95ddbca

This is the 56k days
    Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Originally posted by Smurgl View Post
      What's going on here? http://plays.tv/video/57803678b1a95ddbca

This is the 56k days
      As a 2k4 player, definitely feels like more precision is required on hitscan in ut4.
      [MENTION=261182]Smurgl[/MENTION] Seems like 3 legit misses in ut4 that would have probably registered as hits in 2k4. Can't say why, other than to speculate that it's a netcode/hitbox difference. I've always had more difficulty with hitscan in UT4.

Anyone else feel the same? Or am i just being a noob =] Maybe this game just requires a different style of aim that I'm still getting accustomed to.
      NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
      My movies on YouTube:
      UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
      , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
      UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

I think half the problem might actually be because of some rounding error with the vectors/rotation + replication. When I was working on UT99's NewNet I remember that at one point I had to create a custom data structure to fix the rounding errors with replication to ensure client and server remained as synchronized as possible.
        Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

While I understand game is #prealpha I want dev team to put focus to the right things. Currently there are so many glitches happening every day that I need to admit "fun" factor isn't something what I experience.

Just to give you a couple of examples, and really unfortunate thing is that all these have happened within 24 hours. It's not like rare event and I was lucky to catch them.
          All below videos are slowed down to 20%.

1) Very often you end up taking damage even though you have translocated away in your screen.
          Here is typical example, first it is how it was on my screen, 0:04 - 0:08 took very long time to register secondary. But 0:09 - horray! I was able to make it. And then instant death. Same video is replayed from server-side recording. Based on server-side recording, I wasn't able to translocate up at all...

2) Translocator going into oblivion, 0:12.

3) And one video from recent match which demonstrates how "FUN" the game is at its current state.
          0:08 - 0:26 ALL shock balls bugged, cherry on top was translocator going into oblivion at 0:40. gg.

Comment

Ping compensation should be removed honestly at least during a testing period. We could see what netcode issues remain. I prefer a stable delay rather an unpredictive supposed-to-be ping 0.
            Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
            https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
            http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
            Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by jstar81 View Post
              While I understand game is #prealpha I want dev team to put focus to the right things. Currently there are so many glitches happening every day that I need to admit "fun" factor isn't something what I experience.

Just to give you a couple of examples, and really unfortunate thing is that all these have happened within 24 hours. It's not like rare event and I was lucky to catch them.
              All below videos are slowed down to 20%.

1) Very often you end up taking damage even though you have translocated away in your screen.
              Here is typical example, first it is how it was on my screen, 0:04 - 0:08 took very long time to register secondary. But 0:09 - horray! I was able to make it. And then instant death. Same video is replayed from server-side recording. Based on server-side recording, I wasn't able to translocate up at all...

2) Translocator going into oblivion, 0:12.

3) And one video from recent match which demonstrates how "FUN" the game is at its current state.
              0:08 - 0:26 ALL shock balls bugged, cherry on top was translocator going into oblivion at 0:40. gg.

I've had all of the issues shown here, along with double rockets and shock cores sometimes, or a shock core firing while I pressed primary, or the link pull occurring without me having pressed the primary button. All that with a ping of 15-20 ms, which is just atrocious... On some hubs it happens more often than on others, and it usually also just depends on the state of the hub. Especially when the hub itself becomes laggy these issues start to become quite frequent (specifically the translocator disk just vanishing is insanely annoying), often disturbing key moments during a CTF game. I don't mind it too much because #pre-alpha, but yeah, can get annoying at times.

Fortunately it doesn't happen frequent enough to take the fun out of it for me, the vastly overpowered rocket launcher does a good enough job at that during certain matches.
              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                Ping compensation should be removed honestly at least during a testing period. We could see what netcode issues remain. I prefer a stable delay rather an unpredictive supposed-to-be ping 0.
                I've said it so many times before. The "stable" delay with 1990s style netcode is not stable. It changes every time you join a new server. It changes during a match. Most of the non-registered shots are the result of ping spikes/packet loss. You would have missed the shot anyway.
                Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

It can change during a match, but was (and still is) extremely rare on my ISP. From server to server is expected. Speed of light, and all that.
                  Originally posted by Mysterial
                  An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I wrote a much longer post but this forum also sucks.In short: Problems with netcode, unregistered shots, unreliable movement still persist. Some Server Problems persist since ut2004. UT Servers are mysterious high ressource consuming packetflooding, maybe talk with other developers. This is not optimizationpart these are game breaking bugs.

Comment

Holy necrobump.
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Beats starting a new thread, about the same thing. Since it is, still a thing.
                        Originally posted by Mysterial
                        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I just can't not respond to this...
                          Originally posted by pb. View Post

I've said it so many times before. The "stable" delay with 1990s style netcode is not stable. It changes every time you join a new server. It changes during a match. Most of the non-registered shots are the result of ping spikes/packet loss. You would have missed the shot anyway.
                          The "stable" delay with 90s style netcode wasn't stable, it was predictable. Even if the delay changed, you could literally see it happening and adjust for it on the fly. I was able to play with reasonable success on a connection with high pings and consistent packet loss relying entirely on the predictability of the netcode.

That's always a problem when you start fudging the network conditions internally to the client and server. You lose the predictability entirely. So anything that doesn't act instant is a huge problem.
                          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Working...
                          X