Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolute Elimination game mode (Updated 7/12/2017)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats, well deserved idd. The most played mod that keeps the game afloat for many people. Hope it will be made official without any changes, as is.

Comment

• Congrats Scoob, the hard work has paid off, keep it up: )
      X58 i7 970 4.2GHz HT on, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

• Congrats, indeed well deserved. Sadly, Elimination is the one and only properly playable and enjoyable form of the game currently. All other game modes ended up being a total random mess.
        MSI 785 GM-E51 v2.C | AMD Phenom II x4 945@3.0 GHz | Kingston HyperX SSD@SATAII | ASUS R9 270x Top | Geil Black Dragon 4x2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz CL9 | WIN 7 Pro SP1 x64 | RME FireFace UC + SONY MDR-7506

Comment

• Congrats Scoob! Pretty sure you are solely responsible for keeping this game alive.
          PayBack
          Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
          Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
          UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
          UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

• 1 suggestion: please implement kick vote. Thanks.

Comment

• A mid game, or post late join elo balance check wouldn't be bad either. Or maybe a user driven command to check teams.
              Originally posted by Mysterial
              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

• Thanks to whoever put together the elimination mode for this version of UT. I used to be a DM only player, but I got hooked on elim. It's really fun.

Comment

• post edited
                  Last edited by 213; 08-28-2017, 11:19 PM.
                  X58 i7 970 4.2GHz HT on, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

• anyone can give me the json rule for Absolute Elimination and Absolute Hitsounds? thx

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_nihiluS View Post
                      anyone can give me the json rule for Absolute Elimination and Absolute Hitsounds? thx
                      Here's the bottom section that I use:

],
                      "maxPlayers": 10,
                      "displayTexture": "Texture2D'/Game/RestrictedAssets/UI/GameModeBadges/GB_TDM.GB_TDM'",
                      "gameMode": "/Game/ALTS/Elimination_113.Elimination_113_C",
                      "gameOptions": "?MaxPlayerWait=80?TimeLimit=0?GoalScore=10?Mutator=/Game/AbsoluteHitSounds/Mutator_AbsoluteHitSounds.Mutator_AbsoluteHitSounds_C",
                      "requiredPackages": ["/Game/ALTS/Elimination_113.Elimination_113_C-WindowsNoEditor"],
                      "bTeamGame": true,
                      "bCompetitiveMatch": false,
                      "optionFlags": 65535,
                      "bHideFromUI": false
                      },
                      Unreal Carnage.com
                      UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
                      UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

• Not to harp on the team balance issue, but there is a pretty persistent instance where if the game starts 2v3, despite the health handicap, the shuffler will still attempt to balance ELO, and usually put two highs, or a high and a high-mid on the smaller team, and stack the larger team with lower ELO's. The issue of course, is when the 6th joins, if it did a remotely good job of balancing the 5, the 6th completely hoses teams.

I know with the nature of pugs, it's never going to be perfect, but I feel like the ELO shuffler, and health handicap in this case are working directly against each other. With the games current population, it seems to, at times, result in really consistent imbalances.

Also, after giving it the good old college try (and hearing some passing complaints about it on discord), I've decided I'm not a fan of boots in Elim. I think the boot tuning for the game at large needs some help, but they really feel like both a steam roll mechanic - make a kill, get boots, use boots to make a kill, rinse, repeat -, or a get out of jail free card. The latter I feel the game kind of needs, because jail (read: being out of position) is really easy to get into, and makes for very defensive play, but in terms of consistency and practice, it is frustrating trying to capitalize on superior position, only to have your target disappear upwards out of your pov. It's actually kind of amazing how I hate not being able to be aggressive because of how punished you get for it, but at the same time, hate the one opportunity or avenue you have to do so. Epic has managed to make both feel insanely cheap, and not rewarding at all to do.
                        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

• Do you have any future plans for the mode Scoob? It is fun but I wouldn't mind seeing some more tactical elements added to it.

Things I think would be interesting to try:
                          -Keeping a couple of pickups such as some health or armor.
                          -Limit the number of weapons with a shop system or letting people pick a set amount.
                          -Making it possible for teammates to revive at the health drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by mewfin View Post

-Making it possible for teammates to revive at the health drop.
                            This would essentially be like Freon which was a modification of UT2k4 TAM. When players died they would freeze in place, and you had to stay in contact with them to "defrost" them. Was a pretty fun gametype but it could get kinda spammy as opponents can just camp the frozen enemies, but you could also use them as bait.

I think it would be an enjoyable gametype to switch things up.
                            NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                            My movies on YouTube:
                            UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
                            , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
                            UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

• Yes, although the revive zone could dissapear since the health/boot could get picked up instead. Basicly both teams could bait with the same health.

Comment

• "Revive" has to be done under very controlled circumstances, which was part of the design inspiration for Freon, and even in Freon, some rounds could drag on for quite some time. The adren based resurrection from necrocombo was, essentially, game breaking for TAM. As it enables the ability to do the antithesis of a score as a defense, it's not to be taken lightly. It would be like teleporting a flag carrier back to the enemy base, before he caps. The circumstances to cause this would have to take an amount of skill that justifies the efficacy of the effect.

Also, a major part of the appeal of no items play, is spawning loaded. The weapons really aren't designed for individual use, or to only need to be accompanied with a side arm, and off hands like CS. The weapons are simply not balanced enough. It would turn into shock arena as soon as everyone could afford it, and could serve as a snowball mechanic, where the first team to shock, wins. The limitations would have to be team wide, and that could get messy as an Elo snowball mechanic, where if the best players have first pick, they would also go with the best weapons, leaving the lesser players left with lesser weapons to stagnate in rank.

I do still advocate short time, small reward pickups, to promote some aggression, and prevent intentional OT bleeding, and stalwart-garage style abuses. I also still would like to see more discussion on boots in Elim, which I think need to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X