New playable pre-alpha build posted 8/29/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] New playable pre-alpha build posted 8/29/2016

Epic have made a new pre-alpha playable build available. See the instructions on how to get this build.

Release notes are available here.

As the UT forums have just come out of maintenance mode and it is late in the US, I thought I'd put this thread up to allow for people to comment until an official thread comes up or this one gets merged / made official.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RZE; 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Feedback - Just from reading changelog
    WOOHOO
    New warm up mode before match starts - This is great. Not so boring waiting for nothing.
    Flak Cannon - Is it enough? I don't think so
    Rocket Launcher
    New horizontal Weapon Bar (currently default, can switch back to vertical).
    Reduced hop before sliding. <- BOOYAH!
    Moved kill messages up and pick up messages down on HUD.
    Removed slight landing damage reduction from slide on land.
    Added gamepad commands to the key config structures. <- This will get a few more players into UT4.

OK
    Slightly reduced GroundFriction 11.0->10.5.
    Character acceleration tweaked 4200->4000.
    Fixed various issues with hidden weapons.
    Default end game camera to a rotation that doesn't clip into the winner.

NOOOOO
    Don't allow dodging off characters. - I liked this feature

INTERESTING
    New armor system

???
    Players start with 25 armor. Hmm, maybe to combat Flak and Rocket single shot damage?
    Last edited by richardboegli; 08-30-2016, 06:47 AM. Reason: qualified that my feedback was before actually playing update

Comment

The Good:

-Warm up mode is a welcome addition
      -The Hud changes are mostly good.
      -Took out the hop on slide was greatly appreciated and makes movement feel a lot smoother and less clunky.
      -Weapon balance still needs a lot of work, but at least we are looking at it with more tweaks.
      -The weapon menu looks nice and a lot better than it used to.

The Bad:
      -The spawning with armor. This makes the TTL too high, especially in CTF. That and with the armor system, people feel like they are constantly stacked.
      -Longer spawn time is not fun at all and hurts gametypes like CTF. A really bad decision I feel on that one.
      -The slower player accel. You can really feel it slowed down.
      -Performance seemed a lot worse on textured maps. I'm running a GTX 1070 and I couldn't even keep a constant 144 fps with everything on Low.
      -Mouse input seems worse also (and it didn't feel good to start with before the build)
      -I dont' know if any netcode changes happened, but the netcode seemed to be worse in the games I played tonight. A lot of players mini warping. I could never trust where someone actually was, nor where projectiles were.

Bug:
      -I play at 120 FOV and it resets every map for some odd reason.

Conclusion:

I feel like between the slower movement, longer spawn time and people spawning with armor, that I'm playing Halo instead of UT. Fights last too long, and if you are fighting multiple people, you don't stand much of a chance. The armor changes, longer spawn time and spawning with armor won't hurt a gametype like Elimination (with the weapon balance changes, it will probably be better once it is up and running), but it makes DM, CTF, ect feel a lot worse IMO. The spawning with armor is just a bandaid instead of doing needed balance changes to some of the weapons (and hopefully was just an easy, temporary, experiment with TTL). I hope we stop doing these off the wall bandaids though, and really just get into what is needed to help fix the game, major weapon balancing.
      Last edited by Ðarth; 08-30-2016, 03:28 PM.
      Ðarth|UA|
      Youtube

Come play CTF and Elimination Pick Up Games (PUGS) with us at: https://discord.gg/BbPPCBx . You can also go to http://ut4pugs.us Hope to see you all there!

Comment

A lot of players arent aware that movement keys have been reset and think the build is broken.
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I'm with Darth on this one.
          Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

The new 0.1.4 build feels like the No Man Sky at launch in 2016 compared to 0.1.3 build which felt like the No Man Sky at E3 in 2014.

The only thing i find better in this build are shock rifle chances not including sounds and flak canon changes also not including sounds. The minigun secondary rate of fire is op specially with amp. And the the absolutely worst thing about this patch is the new armor system. When you can frag a player with 100hp and 150 armor from shield belt with just one good shock combo map control has absolutely no point in this game anymore. If you want this u might as well remove all armor. I really want to know why chance the armor system? That +25 armor at start is ok against spawn killing from rocket and flak. The old 0.1.3 hud layout was better. Warm up before matches is a good idea that works.
            Last edited by G1nst3r1; 08-30-2016, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Were you amp combo'd? cos its impossible othrwise

Comment

I tried it late last night, but my mouse sensitivity lost (after months of tweaking!), so I'll wait until later to try it out.

But a tip for anyone who hasn't updated yet - make a copy of your config so that you can recover settings & key binds if you can't remember them all.
                Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

I had to change sensi, fov or keybinds also but its not a big deal... it takes 5 mins.

I only played 30 mins but really enjoyed the build. Weapons, sounds, hud, warmup, everything felt better.

Im glad we got rid of the old mini secondary. The link gun effect is a good compromise between visibility and style I guess. Flak and roket are in a good spot damage wise Id say. At least I seemed to be able to deal a lot of damage with hitscan in crowded deathmatch wich was quite impossible last match. Maybe I got used to such OP flak so I might be not accurate in my feedback.

Rockets seem slower now but its not written in patch notes?

And friends list isnt working it seems. I cant see friends anymore.
                  Last edited by boNz; 08-30-2016, 04:58 AM.

Comment

yeah i kinda liked how it felt with the weapons and sounds. not sure if placebo but it felt smooth.
                    friends list doesnt work properly, it works this moment and then i enter the game again in 15 mins and i cant see any friend.

Comment

Thanks for build !!

I didn't play more then 2 dm maps yet and i have to find out what stinger sound might have to do with...

Some new sounds make the flak alt fire sound like a fruitloop and the shock fireing sounds are not in perspective with the weapon.
                      A bit cartoonish for my taste.

Some how select best weapon doesn't select best weapon, might have to do with my settings...

I keep crashing when i want to change weapon settings.
                      After removing al downloads (PAKS) it's fine again.
                      Last edited by Grommie; 08-30-2016, 05:37 AM.
                      MSI Z170A GAMING M5 | i7-6700k 4GHz | 4x4GB DDR4 - 2666MHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | ASUS IPS 120Hz 1440P | Audioengine D1 + Sennheiser HD650 | WIN 10 x64

Comment

Originally posted by Grommie View Post
                        Thanks for build !!

I didn't play more then 2 dm maps yet and i have to find out what stinger sound might have to do with...

Some new sounds make the flak alt fire sound like a fruitloop and the shock fireing sounds are not in perspective with the weapon.
                        A bit cartoonish for my taste.

Some how select best weapon doesn't select best weapon, might have to do with my settings...

I keep crashing when i want to change weapon settings.
                        After removing al downloads (PAKS) it's fine again.
                        Maps with the ripper cause the crash.

Comment

CTF perspective:

Spawn delay is game braking for me and extremely frustrating. You probably wanted to help noobs but you only aided top playes who can evade even more easily.
                          Pre-match warmup. No matter that I am glad you implemented this suggested feature, it needs tweaking. For example if one player is AFK, you need to wait for 2+ minutes or kick him. Toooo long.
                          Netcode. I have far too many unregistered primary, but especially secondary Translocator hits. Or there was something significantly changed on translocator calculation (whether cou can transloc or not). This feels completely weird to me.
                          Sound. Sound at the end of CTF match (when you lose) is really loud and bothering.
                          Sound of shock combo feels too complex - I felt like somethin is broken in my flat looking for the source of sound until I realised it is still a combo sound.
                          UI. After-match is still really bad and messy. Especially on my 1366x768 I cant see players on 6th place in the 6v6 CTF.

I might post more later. Based on circa 2 hours of gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by darthUA View Post
                            The Bad:
                            -Longer spawn time is not fun at all and hurts gametypes like CTF. A really bad decision I feel on that one.
                            -The slower player accel. You can really feel it slowed down.
                            -Mouse input seems worse also (and it didn't feel good to start with before the build)
                            After a round against a bot I would agree with these points from [MENTION=8492]darthUA[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ View Post
                              CTF perspective:

Spawn delay is game braking for me and extremely frustrating. You probably wanted to help noobs but you only aided top playes who can evade even more easily.
                              Played some more and that is also the gamebreaker for Duel, the stacked party has even more change to spawnkill.
                              MSI Z170A GAMING M5 | i7-6700k 4GHz | 4x4GB DDR4 - 2666MHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | ASUS IPS 120Hz 1440P | Audioengine D1 + Sennheiser HD650 | WIN 10 x64

Comment

Working...
                              X