Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR + Unreal Tournament

Hello Epic!
    I saw one video in my youtube tread, in this video show how developers works with VR. For my opinion the VR industry now is growing up, and many copany want to be first in this race.
    Maybe you could add VR in new Unreal Tournament? New Quake did not work with VR. But you can use this posibility!
    I think many players UT agreed with term: If Epic will learn and use VR technology in AAA games is best chose use this in new UT for marketing and to be best in FPS VR dev. at all!
    And if Epic concentrate in other types of VR games, unfortunately new UT will freeze.
    Many wants to copy something like DoTa, Overwatch... Epic please stand up and DO best as you can best FPS VR mechanics and gameplay.

I did not right?

We already have so little people working on UT4. And to divert that meager amount even some just to work on VR... Yeahhhh... Right now, we don't even have a good foundation for the game yet and we're still sitting in pre-alpha. VR support shouldn't be happening for a while.
    Last edited by Arnox_BU; 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM.
    And still I wait...

Comment

You did not right.

Comment

really it would be good

Comment

Do a search there has been threads discussing VR already. Basically UT has too fast of movement for VR right now, maybe ever.

It will take more years of the technology improving if you plan to play a game like UT in VR at a high level without puking/headaches.

Really the gameplay would need to be slightly redesigned to accompany VR. It would be better suited for a UT mod with different maybe slower gameplay.

Comment

You would not be able to play such a fast game as UT in VR. You would throw up within the first 10 seconds. Someone internally did get Outpost23 running in VR with teleport controls so you could just walk around the level, and it was absolutely amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaMarlow View Post
              You would not be able to play such a fast game as UT in VR. You would throw up within the first 10 seconds. Someone internally did get Outpost23 running in VR with teleport controls so you could just walk around the level, and it was absolutely amazing!
              Maybe it shouldn't be focussed on playing the game but using VR for spectating, demo editing, etc..

I did a RealD 3D proof of concept in UT3 (/UDK) for 3DTVs. It worked well. If VR would make you throw up using a HMD device, it may not by using that projection technology (although I must admit, RealD never mimics any proper 3D effect).
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Even just first person with a slow walk and camera controls make people nauseous. Imagine running 35 mph with crazy fast movement. You would get sick almost instantly. RealD 3D isnt the same as VR. But yeah, spectating in VR would be really cool.

Comment

Nah depends on the person, more demos need the mouse for seated turning analog stick rotation is a bit sickening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5i4mUZUe4
                  The good old days of UDK... https://youtu.be/MSTge5IDxF4?t=1m9s

Comment

I couldn't imagine even attempting to play UT in VR. I would absolutely lose my cookies. Then again I am still not a believer that VR is ever going to be anything big. It still seems to me that the only people that are really excited about it are those that are in the gaming industry, not those that would be the target audience and buy a game or the equipment. As someone that has gamed forever, I can't recall a time when I have ever heard someone not involved in it one way or another say they even cared that it was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                      I couldn't imagine even attempting to play UT in VR. I would absolutely lose my cookies. Then again I am still not a believer that VR is ever going to be anything big. It still seems to me that the only people that are really excited about it are those that are in the gaming industry, not those that would be the target audience and buy a game or the equipment. As someone that has gamed forever, I can't recall a time when I have ever heard someone not involved in it one way or another say they even cared that it was a thing.
                      Have you ever played with a Vive? Cause honestly you sound exactly like I did before I experienced VR, since playing it at my friends it completely changed my idea of VR. I think VR is the future of gaming, I used to think it was going to be a fad like those stupid 3D TVs, after playing it once, i totally disagree. Its a bit out of reach for most gamers right now due to the high entry cost, but once that comes down its really going to take off. **** is just on another level of gaming. At 32 years old, I would say it is the most exciting and thrilling first technology experience ive ever had. It really just blew my socks off.
                      PayBack

Comment

My stance is this:

VR is indeed the future of gaming. The far future. Right now, we have to deal with expensive equipment, clunky and stupid-looking headsets, and pretty limited controls (this alone is a deal breaker for me), along with very unique and very challenging design questions that, IMO, really aren't worth the payoff right now for the work you have to put into solving them.

If you really want to find the future of VR, and thus the future of gaming, I would start badgering the neuroscientists to get a move-on in terms of safe and proper technological neuro interaction. Until then, we're probably not going to move another step ahead at all, barring a huge breakthrough in randomly generated content and/or assets somehow. (A way to generate quality randomly generated assets alone would probably cut down game dev work by about 50% or so.) Because we're starting to hit a ceiling in terms of what we can do with our current tech.

So yeah, until the day we all can get glorious NerveGear...

Last edited by Arnox_BU; 10-08-2016, 03:53 AM.
                        And still I wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Arnox_BU View Post
                          My stance is this:

VR is indeed the future of gaming. The far future. Right now, we have to deal with expensive equipment, clunky and stupid-looking headsets, and pretty limited controls (this alone is a deal breaker for me), along with very unique and very challenging design questions that, IMO, really aren't worth the payoff right now for the work you have to put into solving them.

If you really want to find the future of VR, and thus the future of gaming, I would start badgering the neuroscientists to get a move-on in terms of safe and proper technological neuro interaction. Until then, we're probably not going to move another step ahead at all, barring a huge breakthrough in randomly generated content and/or assets somehow. (A way to generate quality randomly generated assets alone would probably cut down game dev work by about 50% or so.) Because we're starting to hit a ceiling in terms of what we can do with our current tech.

So yeah, until the day we all can get glorious NerveGear...
                          Have you actually played with the Vive?
                          PayBack

Comment

I have not played with VIVE and that's just it. I have no desire to do so honestly. When I play a game in the small amount of time I actually have to do so these days, I just want to be able to sit and chill with friends at my pc, not throw punches and spin around in my living room.

Comment

I use a Vive on a regular basis and have the Oculus Rift on my desk next to me - having experience in both, I can tell you that UT is not going to be playable in VR in the even remotely near future in a way that is competitive with regular PC players. It would be even worse than trying to play it on a console. The amount of motion would not just make you dizzy but it would absolutely exhaust you. Even playing simple tennis or bow and arrow games tires a person out after half an hour. Imagine simulating dodging and jumping and trying to match that kind of reaction time needed for UT. GL. You are also likely to smack your hand hard into something, like your tv or a ceiling lamp (trust me it's easy to do). You need a lot of space to play games that require high action.

VR has so many possibilities, but these possibilities actually expand us outside the realm of pew pew shooters and to things that are actually novel and interesting. It's more than just a gaming fad, it's a whole new form of interaction with technology to do creative things, learn new skills and more.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X