VR + Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnox_BU View Post
    Actually, you do, if you want to reach that next step. For example, how are you going to move in a 3D space with your legs? You need something that sees whether or not you want to move so it will move your avatar in the game world instead of the real world obviously. You swing your sword and it hits something. How are you going to transmit that sensation?
    Have you even used VR? Its called infrared sensors and motion controllers and they already work well. I can only imagine the future.

Comment

Originally posted by nes710 View Post
      Have you even used VR? Its called infrared sensors and motion controllers and they already work well. I can only imagine the future.
      Please be more specific because if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you're completely missing what I'm talking about.
      And still I wait...

Comment

Actually, you do, if you want to reach that next step. For example, how are you going to move in a 3D space with your legs? You need something that sees whether or not you want to move so it will move your avatar in the game world instead of the real world obviously. You swing your sword and it hits something. How are you going to transmit that sensation?
        On that note, I want to play Unreal 1 by running the actual distance. If it didn't kill me first. That's one for the bucket list.

Comment

The only feedback you get in Vive right now is via the controllers motor vibrations. It does help with some things like when you're hitting a ping pong ball or pool cue. Old tech but another example of where it becomes even better in VR than it was in a regular console.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I want pre alpha on VR! x)
            "I smash like a comet, with John Connor type importance for tomorrow."

Comment

Jim Sterling just released a video on this and I should have posted it a long time ago. It sums up beautifully all the things that I think are wrong with VR currently.

And still I wait...

Comment

Jim Sterling just released a video on this and I should have posted it a long time ago. It sums up beautifully all the things that I think are wrong with VR currently.
                Ok, so his arguments...

-"Creepily evangelical tech bloggers" - certainly applies to gaming in general, marketing of game studios, etc. Hell, 10 years ago tech companies started calling their marketers evangelists, proving that they want their products to be peoples new religion. Acting like it applies to only VR, however, is just dumb.

-price. Honestly anyone who wants to get into VR now can if they want... I know people with average jobs who have bought multiple VR sets. And since when has the beginning of any tech NOT been expensive? Anyone remember how expensive home computers were in the 80s and early 90s? Anyone?

-physical barriers / disabilities. Instead of complaining about having to get up off his ***, he could always see it as a form of rehab / therapy. Yes I am going to state the obvious, and not in a mean way... he's extremely overweight and it's in his best interest to try to lose some. Herniated disc or not. Many people in my family have back problems, it doesn't stop them from fricking STANDING!? For many people in this guy's situation, getting outdoors, to gyms etc is not something they are remotely going to consider because they're already self conscious. So usually this would be considered a godsend - a way for them to begin making progress in the privacy of their own home. I have seen people I know melt pounds off using VR. And that sort of movement is rarely bad for anyone, just the opposite. Hell even if you're in a wheelchair you could probably enjoy it for similar reasons - like letting you experience environments you couldn't normally go to. I get the impression that this guy just wants to wallow in his misery rather than fix his life.

-Eye issues, migraines etc... Is someone with these going to spend their days staring at a bright screen, but not VR? I don't get it.

-Space. Again, a friend of mine has Vive set up in a 2 room apt. He structured his furniture layout to accomodate it. All you need is a few meters square. So you can have a table on wheels that can be moved out of the way when you play, for example. And that is in a small apt. Many people have much bigger living rooms. Is it going to be ideal for everyone? No. "Millions won't have the space for this sh**". But certainly easily millions will - and hey guess what? That's on par with the numbers that own current consoles.

Man, I'm barely four minutes in and I can't stand this guy's whininess and this general style of self-entitled b***ing "review", so I can't even waste any more time. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                  Ok, so his arguments...

-"Creepily evangelical tech bloggers" - certainly applies to gaming in general, marketing of game studios, etc. Hell, 10 years ago tech companies started calling their marketers evangelists, proving that they want their products to be peoples new religion. Acting like it applies to only VR, however, is just dumb.

-price. Honestly anyone who wants to get into VR now can if they want... I know people with average jobs who have bought multiple VR sets. And since when has the beginning of any tech NOT been expensive? Anyone remember how expensive home computers were in the 80s and early 90s? Anyone?

-physical barriers / disabilities. Instead of complaining about having to get up off his ***, he could always see it as a form of rehab / therapy. Yes I am going to state the obvious, and not in a mean way... he's extremely overweight and it's in his best interest to try to lose some. Herniated disc or not. Many people in my family have back problems, it doesn't stop them from fricking STANDING!? For many people in this guy's situation, getting outdoors, to gyms etc is not something they are remotely going to consider because they're already self conscious. So usually this would be considered a godsend - a way for them to begin making progress in the privacy of their own home. I have seen people I know melt pounds off using VR. And that sort of movement is rarely bad for anyone, just the opposite. Hell even if you're in a wheelchair you could probably enjoy it for similar reasons - like letting you experience environments you couldn't normally go to. I get the impression that this guy just wants to wallow in his misery rather than fix his life.

-Eye issues, migraines etc... Is someone with these going to spend their days staring at a bright screen, but not VR? I don't get it.

-Space. Again, a friend of mine has Vive set up in a 2 room apt. He structured his furniture layout to accomodate it. All you need is a few meters square. So you can have a table on wheels that can be moved out of the way when you play, for example. And that is in a small apt. Many people have much bigger living rooms. Is it going to be ideal for everyone? No. "Millions won't have the space for this sh**". But certainly easily millions will - and hey guess what? That's on par with the numbers that own current consoles.

Man, I'm barely four minutes in and I can't stand this guy's whininess and this general style of self-entitled b***ing "review", so I can't even waste any more time. Sorry.
                  Thanks for writing exactly what I was thinking, I started too, then just realized I dont care enough to continue arguing with him about it.
                  PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    Ok, so his arguments...

- He's not though.

- Dude, a lot of people can't even afford the computers needed to run this. I know I can't. A $900-$1000 computer will pay for a decent... ish used car. Or a little more than a whole month's worth of rent for one person in the city in a one-bedroom apt. Food prices are slowly going up too. To go off on a tangent here a little bit, this is also why I don't like this PC gaming masterrace bull****. These effing computers are really hard to justify shelling out so much bloody money for when you're trying to live on state minimum wage or maybe a little more. (About half of 'murica at least right there.) Disclaimer though, I really don't like the new consoles.

- It's not so much about capability as it is about comfort. I like to quote Yahtzee here in this regard. "... all these motion sensor concepts have to eventually face the fact that people play games to unwind, and no one 'unwinds' by coming home and waving their arms about like an air traffic controller covered in beetles."

- I'm sure it just exacerbates the problems as compared to just looking at a screen some feet away.

- Dunno what to say about that. I'd have to see for myself.

Finally, he did say it's interesting and there was indeed some games he liked for it. He does let up on it about 3/4ths of the way through. (If you got that far. lol)

Actually, yeah. I'm getting tired of talking about this too. XP
                    Last edited by Arnox_BU; 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM.
                    And still I wait...

Comment

This might give some idea of how much room we have (not a lot). But it's still comfortable and you can do quite a lot. Just have to watch so that you don't whack your hand against the ceiling or tv. But there's a wireframe overlay that fades in when you get near objects, so it's never as if you don't know how you're oriented, either.

Comment

the alternative to this is meet up in a big building/room with platform layouts and do laser tag except without the laser gun but with real guns "real as it gets"
                        "I smash like a comet, with John Connor type importance for tomorrow."

Comment

I tried the Vive a few weeks ago with Space Pirates, that 3-D paint program and the Undersea Blue Whale demo. I was very skeptical, but I have to say after trying it out, it was really, really cool. With good games (and a lower price), I would absolutely spend money for this sort of hardware setup.

Although I don't think that I cold play a twitch first person shooter very well with the whole "turn your head to turn your body" control scheme, I would love to try a slower paced FPS using a standard console or KB+mouse combo with maybe some sort of free-aim type integration of the basic headset orientation (e.g. your mouse or controller's stick controls the basic view/body orientation, while the headset, with only small amount of turning side to side, allows you to move your "head" in game a bit). In this way you could still play games while sitting or standing, but hopefully not need as much space, or take a nose dive into the floor or wall. I'm guessing it would still get pretty sickening/disorienting, but the difference in immersive feeling between staring at a screen, and the VR was just so cool that I still really want to try it out with an FPS....
                          Last edited by meowcatbuf; 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

The thing is VR works for a FPS game like Myst, but for an arena FPS forget it, its not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. It will work for spectating and some UT mods though.

Comment

Originally posted by meowcatbuf View Post
                              I tried the Vive a few weeks ago with Space Pirates, that 3-D paint program and the Undersea Blue Whale demo. I was very skeptical, but I have to say after trying it out, it was really, really cool. With good games (and a lower price), I would absolutely spend money for this sort of hardware setup.
                              Its crazy how that happens right? Its like one of those few experiences in your life that truly just blows your mind and completely makes you 180 what you thought of something.
                              PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                                Its crazy how that happens right? Its like one of those few experiences in your life that truly just blows your mind and completely makes you 180 what you thought of something.
                                Yup! Although I know it is unlikely to work well, I really hope someone can get an FPS working in VR (even if it is slower paced). Maybe a siz-axis shooter game mode like Descent or Forsaken. That being said I would definitely settle for some immersive FP Exploration walking sims/puzzle games too. I go hiking all the time, year-round, here in the US Pacific Northwest and love the outdoors, but I would dig getting to explore recreations of either real historical cultural places (Pyramids, Machu Picchu, Eiffel Tower, Angkor etc.) without the expense or hassle of airline travel (and yes before anyone jumps on this I know that half the benefit of travel is getting to meet interesting and stimulating people of ancient cultures... and that a VR experience would miss that), or imaginative 3D worlds much like we see in the UT games now.

Even if VR does not get used in UT4, I'd love to see the capability be there for modders.

Comment

Working...
                                X