No announcement yet.

VR + Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need any controls that require movement. In fact you want to be still. For UT the only thing you need from VR is the ability to look elsewhere from where you are aiming. Controls need to remain Keyboard and Mouse.
    If you can look around and shoot elsewhere yout time to kill does not suffer when you want location awareness.

What is currently the problem tough is... you need 8K per eye and 144fps. Any VR headset today will make you sick while playing.

Comment

I'm a 3D artist, gamer and VR dev. I can't for the life of me understand why games like UT aren't already available in VR.
      The hardest thing about creating a vr game is creating the content. UT already has this in the detail that is needed.
      UT is fast when you play it on a desktop but who says you need to keep that in VR ?

VR is another way of gaming, for me almost the only way. It incorporates a lot of extra gameplay parameters such as your 'real' stamina and agility etc.
      Why would you try to mimic the UT desktop experience in VR when you can create a better one.
      If in doubt just put on your HMD and play rec room lazer tag. Imagine the same gameplay in UT maps...

And yes, VR and motion sickness is possible but your brain adapts quickly (at least mine did) and before long you'll have no issues.
      For instance, i now play pvp using walk/run instead of the (less sickening) teleporting, you get used to it and speedier if you have what it takes
      I hope devs start to see the awesomeness of VR gaming because it is here to stay (unlike the stereoscopy sillyness a while back).
      Just my 2 cents.

Comment

i just want to spectate in vr , it would fkn rock!

Comment

People that answer "UT in VR is useless" are oldschool fps shooters that never tryed VR and/or are people that can't handle FPS in VR.
          Stop saying ********. UT for VR could be the best VR game ever, totally different experience from Desktop mode for sure.
          One of my first hope when i bought my first VR headset was to play UT in VR
          I CANT BELIEVE THERES NO WAY TO PLAY UT IN VR YET, SHAME ON YOU HUMAN BEING

Comment

Originally posted by Phosporous4 View Post
            I'm a 3D artist, gamer and VR dev. I can't for the life of me understand why games like UT aren't already available in VR.
            The hardest thing about creating a vr game is creating the content. UT already has this in the detail that is needed.
            UT is fast when you play it on a desktop but who says you need to keep that in VR ?

VR is another way of gaming, for me almost the only way. It incorporates a lot of extra gameplay parameters such as your 'real' stamina and agility etc.
            Why would you try to mimic the UT desktop experience in VR when you can create a better one.
            If in doubt just put on your HMD and play rec room lazer tag. Imagine the same gameplay in UT maps...

And yes, VR and motion sickness is possible but your brain adapts quickly (at least mine did) and before long you'll have no issues.
            For instance, i now play pvp using walk/run instead of the (less sickening) teleporting, you get used to it and speedier if you have what it takes
            I hope devs start to see the awesomeness of VR gaming because it is here to stay (unlike the stereoscopy sillyness a while back).
            Just my 2 cents.
            This!
            UT doesn't have to be in it's current form, it could be adapted.

Exhibit A
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuXRseUweq8
            Last edited by ΛCÊ; 06-11-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

You could say that about any game. What's so special about UT that you'd sacrifice its core values to have a VR game of no particular note? I would think a VR developer would be the first to recognize the value of actually designing a game for its target platform, and how little content matters in games that are actually about gameplay and replay value. Trying to play any kind of AFPS on VR wouldn't even be safe from a biomechanical perspective, assuming it could work at all. You'd be asking people to move their bodies as fast as humanly possible with minimal reaction time whatever the pace of gameplay, and you know that's just going to create accidents as the mind gets honed into game stimulus to the exclusion of all else.

Personally, I love head tracking way more than VR. The performance of VR just isn't there yet even for games that don't require minimal reaction time in fast-paced environments (like racing for example). Head tracking latency though is good enough for those slower games, adding immersion without sacrificing quality or (much) responsiveness. But for anything even approaching the AFPS genre, both are a joke. These kind of games are meant to work at the speed of thought, and barely manage to perform adequately as it is.

VR's day is coming soon - perhaps even here now - but we may be waiting decades yet before it breaks out of the casual gaming space where it's actually well-suited.
              Last edited by HonoredMule; 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

vr spectate !!!!!

Comment

Sorry to necro this I just found it funny. As little as a few years ago people were still worried about speed of movement causing headaches and nausea in VR. So now that we know most people can play VR games at any speed. How bout we get some UT VR love

Comment

Working...
                  X