0.1.5 Update posted 10/18/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    So just had a few IG DM matches and the movement is really good and smooth.

I've mentioned previously about the ability to break out or continue a slide. I'd like to reiterate it here. Knowing the duration of a slide increases the predictability.
    Would be nice if they designed it so you had to hold down the slide key the entire time you were sliding and if at any point during the slide you released it, you would stop sliding.
    PayBack

Comment

So just had a few IG DM matches and the movement is really good and smooth.

I've mentioned previously about the ability to break out or continue a slide. I'd like to reiterate it here. Knowing the duration of a slide increases the predictability.
      Originally posted by PayBack View Post
      Would be nice if they designed it so you had to hold down the slide key the entire time you were sliding and if at any point during the slide you released it, you would stop sliding.
      Agreed [MENTION=6564]PayBack[/MENTION].

I mentioned it before in New playable pre-alpha build posted 8/29/2016 thread, but didn't have the time to quote it when I did the post last night.

Here it is:

Small jump has been removed in this build (2016-08-29) which is great.

After previous build (2016-07-13) removing the ability to have slide and crouch on the same key frustrated me to no end as I had the muscle memory.
      BUT as I had moved crouch to C and slide to CTRL by accident I found that if you dodge (either with double tap or single tap dodge) and then press crouch you will slide.
      So I've been able to change crouch back to CTRL.
      This actually works really well and I've reset my muscle memory after a month of use.
      I never used the slide key.

The only thing that I think slide needs now is the ability to cancel slide as using it is too predictable as it is a long movement.

This could be achieved two ways:
      1) Make it such that slide is active only when slide key or crouch after dodge is held down (more intuitive)
      2) Tap crouch / slide key again to cancel slide (this is not so intuitive)
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

it would be nice if you could keep sliding when going down a sufficiently steep slope. it never feels right when i can't slide down the entirety of the downwards curved bridge in ctf-volcano

Comment

The only thing that I think slide needs now is the ability to cancel slide as using it is too predictable as it is a long movement.
          Make it such that slide is active only when slide key or crouch after dodge is held down (more intuitive)
          Titanfall 2 has the "G-slide" which is exactly this.

It is GREAT.

The wall running in Titanfall 2 also doesn't require you to hold jump down. I've got mixed feeling about this as I am use to holding down jump in UT.
          Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

For the next update will someone work on a possible Lightning Gun please?

I have a primary fire effect done for it.

Comment

I am so lazy to give detailed review and analyse everything in detail, so I'll just leave this here:

This build feels the best one for me since the developement has started. Super smooth (excluding the brutal lags), and the weapons are great as well. Rocket launcher finally has a smoke trail, which raises the "satisfactory factor" of the weapon. Shock and Flak sounds are awesome as well - I needed some time to get used to them, but now I think they sound better than earlier. Can't wait to upgrade my PC to a decent Core i7 6700k, and experience these new builds in their full capability.
              MSI 785 GM-E51 v2.C | AMD Phenom II x4 945@3.0 GHz | Kingston HyperX SSD@SATAII | ASUS R9 270x Top | Geil Black Dragon 4x2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz CL9 | WIN 7 Pro SP1 x64 | RME FireFace UC + SONY MDR-7506

Comment

So it is possible to like shock and flak sounds O_o
                The very good point regarding sound is to hear shock ball so well. No change since the previous build, but it is definitely a good thing.

gameplay wise :
                - ok with no grenades on RL but bio/grenades launcher is too spammy as it is. To much bounce and knock back in particularly
                - link primary overheat is excessive. Progressive slow down as it was in previous build was more intuitive
                - netcode and performance still need lots of improvement. Titanpass is almost unplayable with fps drops from 150 to 70 (GeForce 970)

Btw, I feel like every build change a bit the FOV or mouse sensitivity. am I alone ?
                Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                  Btw, I feel like every build change a bit the FOV or mouse sensitivity. am I alone ?
                  IIRC few people said their fov was changed. I remember one in particular saying it went from 105 to 102, so no, you're not alone

Comment

The very good point regarding sound is to hear shock ball so well. No change since the previous build, but it is definitely a good thing.

gameplay wise :
                    - ok with no grenades on RL but bio/grenades launcher is too spammy as it is. To much bounce and knock back in particularly
                    - link primary overheat is excessive. Progressive slow down as it was in previous build was more intuitive
                    - netcode and performance still need lots of improvement. Titanpass is almost unplayable with fps drops from 150 to 70 (GeForce 970)

I do think the shock ball noise is better, but I still find it a bit frustrating that you can't hear the shot being fired - rockets and shock in particular. In the UT99 it was so much clearer when someone is firing nearby. This video is a random one that I searched for and, even though it is chaos, it's still more clear when someone has fired a rocket or shock ball. UT4 seems to be focusing on the projectile sound but that initial fire is too quiet.

I agree with the other points too, although (whilst I haven't played very much at all) I haven't seen any performance problems.

I also haven't been able to find a comfortable mouse sensitivity since it was all reset and am on an endless loop of tweaking and re-tweaking!
                    Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

gameplay wise :

again i am with you pal FOV seems to be changing to me as well i went down as far as 5 this build

Comment

Originally posted by Smurgl View Post
                        I do think the shock ball noise is better, but I still find it a bit frustrating that you can't hear the shot being fired - rockets and shock in particular. In the UT99 it was so much clearer when someone is firing nearby. This video is a random one that I searched for and, even though it is chaos, it's still more clear when someone has fired a rocket or shock ball. UT4 seems to be focusing on the projectile sound but that initial fire is too quiet.

I agree with the other points too, although (whilst I haven't played very much at all) I haven't seen any performance problems.

I also haven't been able to find a comfortable mouse sensitivity since it was all reset and am on an endless loop of tweaking and re-tweaking!
                        UT99 just had fantastic sound design. Not because the audio quality was so high, but rather because all sounds were very distinct and very audible, so there wasn't too much confusion on what is happening. Right now in UT4 I feel like only half of the sounds are actually there, in fact, it feels as if some of the sounds got downgraded heavily in their distinctiveness recently (e.g. flak primary, it used to sound as if it was spitting out iron chunks, now it sounds like some generic boring shotgun with 0 texture to it).

The shock ball noise as it is now is fortunately indeed a step in the right direction. The sniper sound that got added a few builds ago as well, although it may be a bit unfitting for the way the gun looks.
                        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Hey guys, Zack and I pulled some questions from this thread and we have some answers for you. We're also going to try to do a stream soon to cover these and what's coming up.

Impact Hammer’s Removal in FFA and Flag Run - More Details

Functionally, the Impact Hammer is unintuitive. We’re playing around with widening our movement options by moving some abilities over to other weapons. (i.e. Grenade jumping) New players found the Impact Hammer confusing and it was frequently mistaken for a ranged weapon. We would love to prototype an updated version down the road, but for the time being it is a roadblock to making our game more approachable for new players.

Link Gun Updates - Overheating and Linking
                          Link Gun overheat is a solution for being able to hold down the primary for long periods without running out of ammo or doing anything interesting. Now you have to juggle your heat up mechanic while dodging and this has broken up the firing cadence of the weapon. This has reduced spam and made the link gun more interesting to master. This ultimately is a quality of life improvement overall for the weapon. We believe this is heading in the right direction and will continue to iterate on it.

Linking ability for friendly team mates is gone as well. This is a hidden feature that few people used in the current or past versions of UT and requires a high degree of tracking on a friendly. Since this feature is being reevaluated and removed we’re also considering changing the name of the weapon back to Pulse Rifle or something else.

Deathcam - New Post-Death Feedback
                          We understand the deathcam is causing discomfort for some players. We would like to know how you feel it should work and what is actually causing your issues.

We will continue to iterate on this feature. Our goal is to improve player experience and help teach people about where their deaths are coming from.

Translocator Keybinding Issues
                          It is now under “Control Settings” as “Activate Power-up / Toggle Translocator”. You can set it to what your preferred key is. This is a toggle for the translocator so if you hit it again it will toggle back to your previous weapon.

Grenade Launcher - Newest Weapon in the UT Arsenal
                          Thank you for the feedback on the Grenade Launcher, it is a prototype and very much a work in progress. The primary and secondary will continue to be tweaked and adjusted over the next updates.

We have adjusted the primary fire weight and friction and it feels much better. The secondary is now a singly large proxy grenade that sticks and detonates with alt fire. This allows for quick re-fire and airbursting of the lobbed proxy mines. The mines will detonate if shot by enemies or if they walk over it. The player who placed it can also detonate it by shooting it.

Enforcer Model Updates
                          The new Enforcer was created by the newest member of the team, James Kincaid. We thought this was a good way for James to learn the workflow of the project. The artists have been wanting to revisit the model for a while, so this was a great opportunity.

Respawn Time Updates
                          We would like to leave this as is for a while and see how people feel about it. Before the armor change, the respawn timer was set to 1.5 seconds. After changing the armor, it was bumped to 3, which was too long. We’re now down to 2 seconds.

Warm-Up Mode Updates
                          This is still and early implementation. It’s a good addition to the game but still needs a lot of polish.

Rocket launcher grenades
                          Rocket Launcher Grenades added unnecessary complexity and too many gameplay options to the weapon. We felt that the lobbed “fire and forget” nature of those grenades resulted in the Rocket Launcher filling to many different roles. We have moved the grenades to an entirely new weapon that is designed specifically to be about lobbing projectiles. We’re still iterating on the alt-fire functionality of the Rocket Launcher.

New Armor System and Armor Models
                          The armor system is a work in progress and the models are placeholder.
                          Let's have a quick pass of the overall functionality now that there are two types of absorption rates:

1. Shield Belt > 100 : 100% absorption rate. This will absorb all incoming damage until you go below 100 damage.
                          2. Armor < 100 : 50% absorption rate. This will absorb all incoming attacks by 50% until your armor is emptied.

There are now four types of armor. The armors are now Shield Belt, Large (previously known as Chest), Medium (previously known as Thigh Pads), and Small (previously known as Helmet). The Small armor also no longer has the “Headshot Protection” that the helmet previously offered from Sniper Rifles.

Here are the current Armor values and respawn times :

1. Shield Belt - 150 Armor - 60 Seconds
                          2. Large Armor - 100 Armor - 30 Seconds
                          3. Medium Armor - 50 Armor - 30 Seconds
                          4. Small Armor - 25 Armor- 30 Seconds

Stacking rules also changed when the armor models did. Current stacking rules are:

• All armors will stack with themselves - Example: Two Small Armors can be picked up for 50 Armor.
                          • Only the Shield Belt can get your armor above 100. All other armors will always stack up to a limit of 100.

Stinger Secondary
                          We are still iterating on the function of the Stinger’s secondary fire. The travel time on the projectile and the damage numbers indicate it’s not the “killer” weapon but it’s something that has a unique utility.

The FX are placeholder-prototype art. Zaccubus does a good job of showing the mechanics of this in his Patch video.

Shock sound
                          All sounds are WIP. If you guys provide feedback about what you don’t like about it we’ll work to improve this. General soundscape and balance is going to be a moving target constantly.

Bio Rifle not going away Kazeo making new
                          The new WIP Grenade Launcher replaces the old WIP Bio Launcher. The Bio Rifle is still very much a part of the UT arsenal, with a gorgeous new mesh being created by community member KazeoHin (who also created the Flak Cannon mesh).

Elimination Mod - Epic’s Thoughts
                          The community loves Elimination and we do too! We have been in contact with the creator of Elimination, Scoob, to provide him blueprint support. He has decided not to release the mod to official hubs as this would impede his progress because of game updates. We completely understand this and we’re really looking forward to the mod’s progress.

Center reticle projectiles
                          We’re aware this could look wonky depending on whether or not you have weapon hidden. We’ll be taking a closer look.

What’s coming?
                          We have so many great things coming online soon! We are happy to announce we’ll have some community maps coming to the marketplace (more on that later!), updates to Flag Run, and a new version of the Bio Rifle from Kazeo Hin. Lots more coming so keep watching!
                          Stacey Conley
                          -----------------------------
                          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                          Epic Games, Inc.
                          Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

This buld is very buggy guys. In 2 hours i usually have at least 1 crash of the game.

CTF titan pass is unplayable due to fps drops in certain zones and lag. The map is becomed too mutch "dark" imo, you need to make it more clear!!! I like a lot to play on titan but now is a nighmare =)

I think that the secondary link gun effect is not well optimized. If i find myself with 3 or 4 beams firing around i get heavy fps drops. (In the previous build was ok) (gtx 670 and an i7)

I hope that we will get some new good ctf maps soon

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                              There are now four types of armor. The armors are now Shield Belt, Large (previously known as Chest), Medium (previously known as Thigh Pads), and Small (previously known as Helmet). The Small armor also no longer has the “Headshot Protection” that the helmet previously offered from Sniper Rifles.
                              Personally, I think that if the models for each of the armors are going to be this close in shape to one another they should each be a different colour. Playing campgrounds last night and I noticed that I couldn't really tell the difference between the small and medium armors.

Comment

Thanks a lot flak for this feedback. This is exactly what we need.
                                Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                                https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                                http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                                Discord PUG Community

Comment

Working...
                                X