Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arena shooters have been replaced by hero shooters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arena shooters have been replaced by hero shooters.

Unreal championship almost had the right idea.
    Thx Blizzard and Hi-Rez.

Should UT follow the trend, or risk being simply not played?
    Last edited by Techies; 10-25-2016, 05:19 PM.

If the game is good people will play it. Why would they switch things up that far? Wouldn't make sense because they are big enough of a company to simply make one of these so called hero shooters if they wanted to. Personally not a fan of these games and would rather sit here waiting for this UT to be what UT should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
      If the game is good people will play it. Why would they switch things up that far? Wouldn't make sense because they are big enough of a company to simply make one of these so called hero shooters if they wanted to. Personally not a fan of these games and would rather sit here waiting for this UT to be what UT should be.
      Why not create a crossover. UT meets Paragon - ParaUT.
      [MENTION=6880]Techies[/MENTION]: Didn't you mean Unreal Championship 2? UC:1 is exactly the same as UT2003. UC:2 had the hero abilities.

I would just like if Epic is able to port UC:2 to PC, or somehow share assets/source, or import these into UT(4) to have more assets the community can play with. It would be another good example mod the community can work on, as prototype and continuing working on model replacements. I always wanted to play UC:2 but wasn't able to do so due to the console exclusiveness.
      Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-25-2016, 05:45 PM.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

No they shouldn't.

Comment

I much prefer this.. and I imagine many others will too when they realize the rng/imbalance classes generally add to games.

Comment

Originally posted by Techies View Post
            Unreal championship almost had the right idea.
            Thx Blizzard and Hi-Rez.

Should UT follow the trend, or risk being simply not played?
            They should bring back UC.
            Former Console UT3 Player on Xbox 360 & PS3
            Current UT4 Player
            Known as phantaci.
            UT Theme Song:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9Sh-wcy7s

Comment

People like hero shooters for the same reason they like hats: they let you express your own personality and style in the game. Players who can adapt both their look and their playstyle to something that makes them comfortable enough are more likely to feel cool and unique, even if they are complete noobs at the game. OTOH, if everyone has to deal with the very same rules for balance's sake, the only way to stand out is by being the best player... And even when you are the best player, then you're likely to be cursed at and accused of cheating, rather than feeling awesome and getting recognition from other players. So it's a no-win situation IMO, and I'm afraid UT is pretty much doomed to be a pro game with a low playerbase.

Definitely not saying that UT should follow the hero shooter route, just that those games are being successful for a good reason.
              DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
              My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
              My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Looks like Quake: Champions will be doing it.
                My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

They may as well. They already lost 95 percent of their fan base. You could gain half of it back by doing something cool with the characters and adding abilities. As long as you have a non hero mode I'm cool with it. It might be time for change. Add heros with the arena shooter formula.
                  Steam
                  irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                  UT Username - nvz
                  gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                  || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

By the time UT4 is released, it will have gone full circle back to Arena shooters again
                    Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Ive been saying this for years, the game just needs a character development system. A way for players to customize character movement and abilities to their play style. A simple point system where meeting certain goals within the game gives you ability points to increase a players stats. Something like all players start out with 50 out of a possible 100 stat points. They can use the first 50 anywhere they like to improve the run speed, dodge speed, accuracy, jump height, starting health, starting armor and so on stats. Then they earn points that can be directed at specific play styles. Say for every 100 flag caps, you get 5 points that can be used for run speed, dodge speed or jump height. You return 200 flags you get 5 points that can be used for starting health, starting armor, accuracy and so on. This way players feel connected to their characters, the character they play with is 100% unique to them and tailored to that persons play style and interests. once you have reached 100 points, its no longer possible to upgrade the character any further. Players can have multiple characters so they can switch out characters depending on the game type and position they are playing.

Unfortunately I dont see Epic ever doing this. They barely have the man power to make a basic AFPS game, no way they would ever be able to tackle something like this. I also dont think they have any interest in doing so. But I can dream...
                      Last edited by PayBack; 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM.
                      PayBack

Comment

God I hope they don't do this! If you want that just play one of those other shooters. What keeps me playing UT is that its skill based, not score based.

Comment

The former King of shooters should become a copycat?

Epic shouldn't copy other successful concepts they should invent them and let others copy them from UT.
                          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

If they did UT4 would be dismissed as a OW clone.

Comment

A lot of people have a long list of games they want to play and wish they had 10, 20 or 40 hours to pour into one of those but only have 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there to spend on games. They don't have time to research character builds and counters or worse grind through progression. With a good selection of casual and in some cases crazy game types and mutators UT would be a solid choice when you want to be a hardcore gamer even though it's only for 15 minutes and in a ridiculously rusty skill bracket.

A similar use case UT can also be strong in is when you want to play a wild action game with friends but it must be one they don't have to study or grind first. Both of these use cases rely mainly on fun stuff that can be added on top of a well made highly competitive game type.

Hero shooters do raise the bar though. For example old school movement and animations are no longer good enough to attract players, the movement has to be both more impressive and more fluid than in hero shooters.
                              Last edited by MegaLokey; 10-26-2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X