No announcement yet.

0.1.6 Update posted 11/10/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When can we expect more performance optimizations? And Vulkan?

With the the removal of the SimpleDynamicLighting variable my fps has gone down and mouse feels floaty. I'm CPU limited as my GPU shows only 60% load on low settings at 1080p. I noticed being CPU limited has a big hit on how floaty the mouse input feels when the fps varies.

Once I capped the fps to 60fps (with r.OneFrameThreadLag=0) the mouse felt much more responsive. It's a big compromise on my 120hz monitor but it's the most efficient option for now.

I've noticed some maps where CPU and GPU load was roughly 75% and 60% respectively but the fps was still low. Is this because of Texture Streaming? Can this be optimized further? Can we turn off any cosmetic physics?

Using a combination of lag reduction tweaks; r.OneFrameThreadLag=0 and 'Skip GPU Buffering' in Settings menu has a massive hit on fps. I've found using only r.OneFrameThreadLag=0 works best for me. But, I'm wondering what kind of hardware is needed to get constant 120fps with all of the lag reductions tweaks on?

Edit: r.FinishCurrentFrame and 'Skip GPU Buffering' are the same thing.

Edit2: Starting with a fresh UT folder with new ini files helps. Mouse feels less floaty now, i was wrong about this build, it's much smoother but I'm still CPU bound so hopefully more optimisations there for the next build.
    Last edited by L1NK-; 11-18-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by l1nk- View Post
      When can we expect more performance optimizations? And Vulkan?

With the the removal of the SimpleDynamicLighting variable my fps has gone down and mouse feels floaty. I'm CPU limited as my GPU shows only 60% load on low settings at 1080p. I noticed being CPU limited has a big hit on how floaty the mouse input feels when the fps varies.

Once I capped the fps to 60fps (with r.OneFrameThreadLag=0) the mouse felt much more responsive. It's a big compromise on my 120hz monitor but it's the most efficient option for now.

I've noticed some maps where CPU and GPU load was roughly 75% and 60% respectively but the fps was still low. Is this because of Texture Streaming? Can this be optimized further? Can we turn off any cosmetic physics?

I've noticed some tweak guides for other UE games like Tribes Ascend to improve the impact of texture streaming which I've tried here. If anyone else wants to give it a go on their machines this is what I've added to my Engine.ini (make it read-only):

Using a combination of lag reduction tweaks; r.OneFrameThreadLag=0, r.FinishCurrentFrame=1, and 'Skip GPU Buffering' in Settings menu has a massive hit on fps. I've found using only r.OneFrameThreadLag=0 works best for me. But, I'm wondering what kind of hardware is needed to get constant 120fps with all of the lag reductions tweaks on?
      What CPU & GPU are you running? Other hardware?

Comment

What did they do to the game? Feel like mouse smoothing or vsync, horrendous, impossible to play well. Anyone have the same issue ?

My Last Fragmovie "Over the Top" 1080p@60fps

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlayerLoRD. View Post
          What did they do to the game? Feel like mouse smoothing or vsync, horrendous, impossible to play well. Anyone have the same issue ?

Apart from only hitting 10% of combos @180-220 ping (west coast hub from sydney) i found it to ran pretty good. My accuracy always drops on the first few days of a new build also till i get used the build anyway.

havent had a chance yet to test it on low ping
          Join the community Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
            My 2 cents on some of the weapons:

Rocket Launcher:
            - While I like the idea of the Grenade Launcher, I miss the rocket grenades too! The weapon is a bit shallow now and I think it would benefit from some kind of 3rd firing mode. Spiral and trident back, perhaps?
            [MENTION=7664]G.Lecter[/MENTION]; Agreed, see other suggestions here: Thread: What should Rocket Launcher new fiiring mode should be now that grenades are gone?
            Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

I just played a ctf on CTF-Polaris : 60-70fps

My config : GTX970, i7 4790k@4Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 1920x1080

Come on, this is crazy.
              Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
              https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
              http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
              Discord PUG Community

Comment

yeah, I cant get more than 80FPS on all the new community maps - it makes the mouse feel floaty, like v-sync is turned on + mouse smoothing
                its awful and makes those maps unplayable

I have no such issues on old maps (chill, deck, underland, titan pass, etc) where FPS is over 100

also I have a corsair stafe RGB keyboard and whenever I enter the game, it takes control of key lightning (lights up white in menus, goes dark in-game only lighting up movement/weapon keys) - corsair software says lightning is controlled by external application without letting me control it

any way to disable this (in game options I have disabled razer chroma lightning)
                || MSI H77MA-G43 || Core i5-3470 3.2GHz || DDR3 16GB Kingston @ 1600MHz, CL9 || Gigabyte G1 GTX970 || 2xSSD + 1xHDD || 520W Seasonic SS-520GB || Acer 27" XB270H 144Hz || Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless || Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r RGB MX Nature White || Windows 10 Pro 64bit ||

Comment

Originally posted by 213 View Post
                  What CPU & GPU are you running? Other hardware?
                  Intel Xeon E5450@3.7GHz + AMD HD7870. CPU Passmark score: ~5230 so equivalent to an i5-2500 or i7-1st gen. I'm holding off an upgrade until the new AMD's are out.

Anyhow, the point I'm making is that this game should be more accessible seeing as good frame rate and response has everything do to with how well this game is played. There is no point making a gameplay complaint about how hard it is to hit when you're struggling with low fps and floaty mouse in a (supposedly) fast-paced game.

Comment

Originally posted by Furma View Post
                    yeah, I cant get more than 80FPS on all the new community maps - it makes the mouse feel floaty, like v-sync is turned on + mouse smoothing
                    its awful and makes those maps unplayable

I have no such issues on old maps (chill, deck, underland, titan pass, etc) where FPS is over 100

also I have a corsair stafe RGB keyboard and whenever I enter the game, it takes control of key lightning (lights up white in menus, goes dark in-game only lighting up movement/weapon keys) - corsair software says lightning is controlled by external application without letting me control it

any way to disable this (in game options I have disabled razer chroma lightning)
                    Same experience for me. Fps drops >> mouse floaty >> map unplayable.

Guys, don't be surprised that old players keep playing on shell maps
                    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                    Discord PUG Community

Comment

Thanks epic. Game runs much better now

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
                        I just played a ctf on CTF-Polaris : 60-70fps

My config : GTX970, i7 4790k@4Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 1920x1080

Come on, this is crazy.
                        Polaris has some performance issues right now, I have a few ideas on how to improve them and in some test builds ive already gotten another 10-15FPS improvement. Next build update it will perform better. For everyone frustrated with the community map performance, try to keep in mind that some of the people who made them are not professional mappers, its something we do on the side as a hobby. Epic really had no hand in the performance or design of these maps, Epic did some internal play testing for snaggies, glitches, holes and such, but other than that they were really hands off. It took Epic almost a year to get Titanpass up to 100 FPS constant with my GTX 980 and they built the game engine.
                        PayBack

Comment

Is the 25 spawn armor, respawn delay, and link gun over heat still in the game?

Will never play this game again if those three are still there, im off to Quake Live

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                            For everyone frustrated with the community map performance, try to keep in mind that some of the people who made them are not professional mappers, its something we do on the side as a hobby.
                            I second this.

For any specific issues on DM-Batrankus, feel free to comment them in my map's thread (link in my signature). Personally I've been quite concerned about performance and have done quite a lot of stuff already: replaced the collision of most meshes by simple blocking volumes, lowered lightmap resolutions, and grouped lots of meshes to reduce draw calls. However, the map has some long lines of sight by design which are not easy to deal with optimization-wise. It runs pretty much like any other meshed map on my mid-end laptop, which is acceptable IMO. Not sure if there's something else I can do... would love to hear some ideas!

BTW, if you guys are interested in playing some 'pro' games in Batrankus, I keep supporting and updating the BSP version, which can be found in the map's thread...
                            DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                            My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                            My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Unreal Tournament - My thoughts on new build #PRE-ALPHA 0.1.6 and I got 60% sniper aim while making this video!

Comment

Originally posted by Redcobra View Post
                                Is the 25 spawn armor, respawn delay, and link gun over heat still in the game?

Will never play this game again if those three are still there, im off to Quake Live
                                The respawn delay has been reduced and is mostly ok now.

Comment

Working...
                                X