Forum Upgrade - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ness 710 View Post

There are some settings from the user end missing in Xenforo that are available in VB. The way Xenforo handles PMs as "Conversations" is very annoying to me, message system in vBulletin is less confusing. The default themes and layouts also look pretty ugly from the forums I've seen using it but I know thats easily customizable.
    What settings are missing in XenForo that are in VB5? Also, what was the last version of XenForo you used? Since 1.2 they have added back a bunch of features they were missing from VB.

On PMs, the XenForo method is far superior to vB especially when you have conversation threads involving multiple people which are just trash on vB.

At any rate, I mentioned XenForo to Flak two years ago and they decided to stick with vB for their own reasons (obviously their IT likes it and munged it up for other game forums for some reason so I guess there is that). I'm just very surprised by how awful the UX is on vB5 even compared to previous versions of VB. On top of that, vB is dramatically more expensive, less secure, backed by one of the worst companies on the internet, and completely out of touch with their customer base. If it wasn't for how good their software was compared to the competition 10 years ago, they wouldn't even be around as everyone would just use Discourse or XenForo which both have better UX than vB does.

But still that doesn't prevent me from seeing why a company that has been using vB would stick with vB. vB5 is just shocking.

edit: Also, I have to agree with others about the loss of the actual New Posts functionality. The link that was added isn't really comparable unless you visit the forums every day and read everything you missed every day.
    Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 04-13-2017, 12:29 PM.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I'm sure there's a workaround for new posts, I'll find it. Or, one of you can find it and I'll implement it. Working on the new theme right now.

Stacey Conley
      -----------------------------
      Unreal Tournament Community Manager
      Epic Games, Inc.
      Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Getting there!

​​​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	384094
        Stacey Conley
        Epic Games, Inc.

Comment

This new forum layout is hurting my eyes and giving me a massive brain aneurysm, is it staying this way or is it still being changed?

Comment

Originally posted by wikkid View Post
            This new forum layout is hurting my eyes and giving me a massive brain aneurysm, is it staying this way or is it still being changed?
            Did you not see the post directly above yours?
            Stacey Conley
            Epic Games, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post

There are so many bugs with the new forum (at least on my end and I doubt it's only there). Switching the "Source" view on the advanced editor when you have a quoted text can now end up loosing the message due to an 404 error (same as editing your own signature).

The current style needs a lot of improvements (if not corrections). So many things which are distracting. Still, URL links in posts have a different color than the forum links on the forum overview). Signatures text is often too narrow (and/or too small). Images are not allowed (actually a good change though). The floating header/bar justs blends in with the left-side user info panel.

And then a quote has a slightly darker background color.

What's quoted text...
              and what's original post content. And things
              are worse if the text is
              indented like this one.

Not really readable.

Additional non-theme related things:
              - Unicode profile names
              - Member list only allowed for mods/admins
              - "Who's online" only allowed for mods/admins
              - Moved "Find posts from user" (which is not really hidden - open profile, switch to about, scroll down)
              - Moved "Find started threads from user" (hidden same as above)
              - Not more reporting of an user (versus "flagging" posts)
              - Forced "linear" view mode
              - Too many useless features (such as "Photos by thread", "Media by user", "multi-selecting own posts", "Filter" on threads,
              - Links to sub-forums from older forum now links to default home page (no redirecting, thread links work though)
              - Not being able to open "quote" from a post in a new window... due to Javascript/Ajax
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post

Yes, but I think cause everything looked so different, my brain didn't process it Lul. Sorry way too use to the old look of VB.

Comment

Getting to the last page of a 'discussion thread' is more difficult. There used to be a "Last Page" hyperlink along with links to some of the first pages topic, though pretty sure this has already been mentioned. That said, I don't think that was ever really a good enough solution for getting to the most recent post in a thread. There remains that tiny little button at the end of the "Last Post" section of the topic listing, but the hunt-and-peck approach to internet browsing was never my favorite.

When in a topic, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get the "Previous | 1 | 2 | 5 | Next" list of pages. There's a dark-on-dark issue with the colors of this tool when in a topic. Strangely this tool is not at the top of the content box... likewise, the number field for navigating pages, which exists at the top, does not exist on the bottom.

Forums/channels don't change their style if you've read every thread in them, only the icon changes.

The Unreal Tournament logo is huge... and a duplicate of the one on the 'Epic bar'. Speaking of which, the 'Epic bar' has its own search field sitting above the forum's search field. Along with the in-thread search field, we have three search fields. One choice too many, perhaps?

• The Activity Stream limits posts to two thirds of a line, which, unless the poster has twitteritis (or should it be called twitsy?), means clicking 'See More' obsessively. Not sure how they expect a rational person to use it.
                  • There's a search-in-thread bar which is neat, but no way to filter by username. The filters they do have... "Photos Only" applies to photos posted as attached photos, not linked photos or attachments. smh.jpg. I expect the other filters are similarly confused. It's as if they were going to make actual bulletin board software but never got around to it.
                  • There's also a "Polls Only" filter... can topics have multiple polls now? jots down note
                  • Their RSS feeds seem to just record threads posted, not replies. Almost as if they're an afterthought.
                  • Maybe I'm alone in this, but why be able to choose an icon for your thread? (Which also doesn't show in RSS. Maybe they are afterthoughts!)
                  • Also, when is the last time you cared about how many posts/topics a particular forum had?

Comment

• The forum button icons are loaded from imgur.com (http://i.imgur.com/wLLar1C.png)
                    • The additional links such as "New Posts" and "Acitivity stream" (a custom one) are not listed for not-logged-in users ("the real activity stream was available before with the old forum)
                    • The forum layout is messed up on some mobile browsers. Images are attached to this post.
                    • The current thread (under the breadcrum navigation) is not clickable anymore. It was one solution back in the old forum to get the thread link or open the thread without a anchor link to a post (#post123456).
                    • The editor size doesn't save when you change the height of it
                    • The usability of uploading images is dumb. No more inline attachments anymore.
                    • I wrote text with bbcode in here (which is a lot faster than having to use the mose constantly clicking on the right symbols or me) and drag'n'dropped attachments into the text for inline attachments. Due to the problem above (of not listing image #4), I wanted to check the actual attachment bbcode of the existing ones and add the 4th images as well. Clicking on the "Source" button on the advanced editor (first button in the toolbar), I got the 404-error (message: error_converting_message) and loosing my text. Luckily, I know most of these problem and always copy the whole text before doing such thing (as previewing or posting in the old forum)

] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Note: This is in actual edit on post #84 but it got bugged and didn't let me edit the post.

Edit:
                      • Unable to change order in the attachments ("Edit photos")
                      • Editing the post allows to insert inline attachments. But on clicking one of the options ("Thumbnail", "Small", etc.) will lead to an error message even though the attachment was added.

Error:
                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page (no_permission)

Edit 2:
                      After trying to save the post (with the previous error message about not being authorized), the post was not saved. It got stuck on saving the reply with the loading caption shown "Working". And the 2nd time also didn't work. I closed all windows, opened a new one and tried editing the post. A message about having a pending change was shown saying I should cancel all edits. ...

Comment

I think the activity stream got worse than before, now every post there takes too much room so there's too few posts that get room at a time so have to scroll quite a bit more.

Comment

Regarding usability, using the paging feature in a thread/topic overview with a lot of sticky ones (such as this one) is not good at all. Whenever you click on a next/previous page, it scrolls up showing you the exactly sticky threads you see on every page. If you have a smaller window height, you might need to scroll down everytime you switch pages in order to see the rest of the threads of that page. The "web 2.0" paging is good though (no page reloading) but this smooth scrolling is *******s.

And in a thread view, why would the previous-page scroll up if the actual "previous post" is at the bottom. Logically, it could scroll to bottom when using the top paging controls when switching to the previous page but that wouldn't be goold as well.

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                          Also, when is the last time you cared about how many posts/topics a particular forum had?
                          Actually I do care and use that. For instance, from time to time I check the existing threads on the programming section where a thread has no reply/post and thus I am checking it and trying to answer the question if it hasn't already been solved somehow. But what I don't need is the amount of likes/votes each thread has. This now adds another line to a thread listing and makes the list longer.

The overall posts/topics count on the sub-forum overview is quite useless and doesn't provide any information a user might want to read.

Comment

Videos are not displaying in the correct place.
                            We are unable to remove links from posts using the edit function

Comment

I appreciate the effort going in to fix this. It is better than the other Epic games forums if we are being honest, but that is not saying much because the other game forums are probably the worst user experience you can have on a so-called "forum".

Overall I still find this pretty awful. So many convenient buttons and links added to VB over the years are just completely gone. I can't say I'm very surprised about just how wrong INTERNET BRANDS got this version. Worst company.

But awful is not atrocious I guess
                              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Images in signatures are broken now?
                                CTF-Azimuth [UT4] - CP_Harbour [TF2] - Artstation - Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X