The Making of Fort Blog Post Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] The Making of Fort Blog Post Discussion

Have any questions you'd like to ask about Fort or Blitz that aren't answered in the blog post?

Here is the place.
    Stacey Conley
    -----------------------------
    Unreal Tournament Community Manager
    Epic Games, Inc.
    Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Neat. Is Blitz the new name for Flagrun? Any way a couple things I'm curious about:
    • How did the team decide that Fort would be the first map to get meshed? It's fun and all but props to whoever made Heist and Meltdown
    • Do you design unorthodox flag running routes in your maps or do they just sort of get discovered afterwards? I remember the old 2k4 Assault maps had some really creative paths and was always curious if they were intentional. I also ask this because the previous version of Fort had this cool path from attacking spawn --> along rock spire tops ---> through that window above the main door that is no longer possible. Similar thing happened to Meltdown
    • the old version had a floating sphere in the defender's base. What was that all about? Was it aliens?

Comment

hm... maybe because Fort is the smallest Map of them all? I really like the size of it btw, more than the bigger Blitz Maps

Comment

Originally posted by eBoLa View Post
        Neat. Is Blitz the new name for Flagrun?
        Blitz is indeed the new name for Flag Run!

Any way a couple things I'm curious about:
        • How did the team decide that Fort would be the first map to get meshed? It's fun and all but props to whoever made Heist and Meltdown
        Stu could answer this in more detail but - Fun fast paced map to introduce players to the experience. It's got all of the flavors of Blitz in a smaller more quickly digested environment. As players start to learn the game mode they can move on to more complex and longer maps like Meltdown and Loh.
        • Do you design unorthodox flag running routes in your maps or do they just sort of get discovered afterwards? I remember the old 2k4 Assault maps had some really creative paths and was always curious if they were intentional. I also ask this because the previous version of Fort had this cool path from attacking spawn --> along rock spire tops ---> through that window above the main door that is no longer possible. Similar thing happened to Meltdown
        It's a little of both. Sometimes we discover crazy routes that were unintentional and they stay, sometimes they're so strong or unbalanced that we have to act on them. Level paths are created with UT's awesome movement in mind, and we can always be sure the community will find creative ways to get around.
        ​​​​​​​
        • the old version had a floating sphere in the defender's base. What was that all about? Was it aliens?
        That was an early art prototype we were testing. We'll often include placeholder objects in the world to test lines of sight and to ensure that these introductions don't present issues for the moment to moment game play.

Stacey Conley
        -----------------------------
        Unreal Tournament Community Manager
        Epic Games, Inc.
        Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Not really sure whether I'm all that fond of naming a game mode "Blitz" ... if I'm not mistaken, then it's the German word for "lightning", which not only doesn't seem to describe the mode all too well (six rounds is not exactly short, and it gives little indication of what you're actually doing in the game mode -- for some reason it makes me think of a single-round game mode where you only die once and that's it, the last person alive wins), but the word is everywhere, from World of Tanks to Bejeweled...

Comment

Working...
          X