No announcement yet.

Forum Suggestion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE, check my thread in that case. Not a perfect solution but the best one on can come across on the forums (right now). Helped me to get a bit up to date after my holidays. Could need some help on better categorization, too!
    *shameless self-advertisement*

But true, an official support for that would be much appreciated. Reminds me of the feature we had for a while on Epic's main forums back then.
    S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Another thing is perhaps some way to mark threads that have developer answers in them, or the ability to filter threads to developer posts only? That's something that's available on GOG.com forums and it comes in handy in long threads or after being away for a while and trying to catch up on the most important information.
      Gearbox does this on their vB forum so it's definitely possible to do.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
        Gearbox does this on their vB forum so it's definitely possible to do.
        Epic had that function on their company forum for a spell. I suspect the function was taken off due to the inability of the younger crowd to not abuse the function. I don't see abuse happening here, since this is a developer forum and not a user forum at this time. I agree with GE that we should be able to filter for developer postings, but I'd like to see that expanded to developer identification in the popup listing of posters in a thread, if possible.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Shot-tags would be a neat addition too I think!
          S l y .

Comment

I disagree on shot tags. The current vB site configuration allows images to be posted in their native resolution, with larger image scaled down to fit the page format for display. What we had before were shot tags forced on us, with thumbnails being exploded to a point where the image integrity was horrible, and large images shrunk down so that a user always had to click to get a reasonably sized view of the image.
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
              I disagree on shot tags. The current vB site configuration allows images to be posted in their native resolution, with larger image scaled down to fit the page format for display. What we had before were shot tags forced on us, with thumbnails being exploded to a point where the image integrity was horrible, and large images shrunk down so that a user always had to click to get a reasonably sized view of the image.
              Most of the time I find myself wanting to read threads, not read a few words, then scroll through a humongous-sized wall of images, and only then continue reading. Having to open images in a new tab is a feature. I'm all for [shot] tags.

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
              GE, check my thread in that case. Not a perfect solution but the best one on can come across on the forums (right now). Helped me to get a bit up to date after my holidays. Could need some help on better categorization, too!
              *shameless self-advertisement*
              Well fine
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Most of the time I find myself wanting to read threads, not read a few words, then scroll through a humongous-sized wall of images, and only then continue reading. Having to open images in a new tab is a feature. I'm all for [shot] tags.
                I get what you are saying, but the only way to do that is to FORCE the use of shot tags, and I feel that is a very archaic and over-controlling method. For the art design threads, it can be cumbersome to have to click on every image to view it in a larger scale. Some threads don't need large images, and in those, voluntary use of shot tags should be encouraged. Additionally, users should strive not to repost an image in a reply, regardless of whether it is an [img] or [shot] tagged image.

Comment

It's good etiquette to keep the pics you post down to a manageable size and the shot tags do that.

However,

it's never OK to link to an uncompressed image or post one in a forum. If that were disallowed completely, that'd be awesome.
                  Dueling Flak Cannons
                  We see the shells falling
                  Together, we die

Comment

Just a small thing I noticed:
                    When editing your profile there is a part under Instant Messaging that says MSN messenger, but MSN has been shut down right (and is essentially Skype now)?
                    So that would mean that part can go and as a replacement I would suggest putting in a SteamID name.
                    -Fn>Metalfist
                    ---------------------
                    Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                      I get what you are saying, but the only way to do that is to FORCE the use of shot tags, and I feel that is a very archaic and over-controlling method. For the art design threads, it can be cumbersome to have to click on every image to view it in a larger scale. Some threads don't need large images, and in those, voluntary use of shot tags should be encouraged. Additionally, users should strive not to repost an image in a reply, regardless of whether it is an [img] or [shot] tagged image.
                      Wait, who's talking about involuntary use? I don't think anyone is suggesting to replace img tags with shot tags...

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                      Just a small thing I noticed:
                      When editing your profile there is a part under Instant Messaging that says MSN messenger, but MSN has been shut down right (and is essentially Skype now)?
                      So that would mean that part can go and as a replacement I would suggest putting in a SteamID name.
                      Not exactly. MSN is still up somehow. I can see Smirftsch on MSN at the moment. MS simply discontinued Windows Live Messenger, but everyone worth their salt are using Pidgin/Trillian/Telepathy etc. already, so we're unaffected by that.

But the options do bother me, yes, because there is no field to put in your Xfire or Tox or SIP address, the actual things that you should be using instead of Skype and the rest.
                      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Flak, Would it be possible to add another option other than UEgrey? Under where the settings are for profile accounts...bottom left corner. Something that is darker and easier on the eyes would be nice. This boardstyle is kind of blinding at night. Just looking for another creature comfort option if that's possible..

Comment

Could the UT forums have HTML 5 embeed option ? It would be cool to test other people stuff dirrectly on forums. (like BSP maps) . They would get better feedback.

Comment

Keep them coming, I should be working on some of these this weekend.

Do have a vbulletin HTML 5 Embed example mahri?
                            Stacey Conley
                            -----------------------------
                            Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                            Epic Games, Inc.
                            Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

- JavaScript floating boxes in the right of the page to fast scroll up/down. Or atleast a url#body link at the end of the page.

- Stick this thread again.

Comment

Hey how about shoutbox?

Comment

Working...
                                X