Server Subscriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flak View Post
    I guess I like the emails because I can get them anywhere. I'll get the email that the UE4 stream has started and I'll jump right in to watch.

Hopefully I'll be playing in all of my spare time and won't have to worry about it
    "Anywhere" seems a bit extreme unless you have a satphone hooked up to your e-mail account. (And I thought g-mail just wanted my number for data-mining!)

Comment

I could see this potentially spamming a mailbox and becoming a nuisance if not approached right.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
        If there is a global server and a group of the players subscribe for the same map/gametype/mutator/mod etc. the server could actually notify empty servers (which allowing such take-over) to create a new game for these players. Every subscribed player will get a notification message to join their game. This would help servers getting populated. This is similar like match-making.
        Its important that we have WYSIWYG.
        You dont want an admin or a vote mechanism change everything when the servers are full.

Edit: It would be nice to see others subscriptions.
        If theres a CTF server running Coret, Face, November id like to add myself to that subscription IF Lavagiant also is added.

I think a mail-notification is the way to go at the start.
        If its a hit maybe theres some clever App programmers here that can make a simple app for this so that we get notifications on our smartphones in the future.
        Last edited by Wowbagger; 07-07-2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

That's an awesome idea! Does that mean server admins could notify all fans when a new map has been added to the server as well?
          EliotVU.com

UT2004: MutNoAutoFire / LevelConfigManager / MutBestTimes / MutCacheExtractor / MutHalloween
          UT3: MutDodgeJump / MutXMasPresents
          UDK: UE Explorer / Forms

Comment

I also think the best way to do this would be via system tray. And as with many great ideas, it has been done before;

http://www.ncftpd.com/winstuff/trayspy/
            http://www.copyerror.com/ar-tray-spy/

Just a friendly little icon in your tray, that monitors your favorite servers for you and lets you know when someone joins. Optional bells and whistles of course.

And of course since this is 2014 I agree with the suggestion to make an app that throws up a notification on phones. Lord knows I love my Note 2.

Comment

Allow people to right click the server and join a queue. Let them tick a box that says if X players are in queue, join server, and if X players are in server, join server. Crucial to this must be a way to know when you're joining, since you'll most likely be alt tabbed. You're able to see how many are in the queue. and in the game ofcourse.

I think this would help seeding any server of any game.
              Last edited by Dylstew; 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I find Twitch emails to be a bit annoying, and instead use a Chrome Extension Twitch Live. As I have Chrome open most of the time it's easy to see when people are live without the email spam. I guess it's a similar idea to the system tray notifier above.

Emails might be a good choice to have build into the game, but I think it would be nice to have a Web API that lets people create Browser extensions, system tray notifiers, smartphone apps etc.
                Last edited by Makk; 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I guess I like the emails because I can get them anywhere. I'll get the email that the UE4 stream has started and I'll jump right in to watch.

Hopefully I'll be playing in all of my spare time and won't have to worry about it
                  Time for a UE4 phone app that can integrate customizable message notifications from within UE4 games.

I haven't looked at it yet, but Bungie are doing something like that for Destiny. A centralized platform for that kind of thing (or at least for Unreal Engine games) would be pretty awesome.

Edit: For PC you might be able to do some kind of Steam integration? I'm hesitant to suggest another seperate platform for notifications on PC (Battle.Net, Steam, Origin etc. etc. etc.)

Comment

That's an awesome idea!
                    A notifier tool which can be customised to inform one whenever the set match filters find a corresponding match or a new or unplayed map has been hosted.

I'd prefer such within a desktop/tray application, like a distinct UT4 game launcher, because I'd like if it could let you connect right to the server of the notification (eventually have other automatic forms of matchmaking and/or the server browser implemented already) and best of all: would have all the UT community features such as friendlist, messages and possibly even demo player/editor within.
                    Email would be the least prefered choice for me because it couldn't deliver any other functions, I dont always run a mail program and I would hate having to delete lots of notification emails.

Such a multifunctional and useful game launcher would be the first game launcher I would actually like.
                    It would eliminate having to go through multiple pages of menus to find a right game and help to gather friends for a PUG.
                    If it includes a Game Demo player/editor and some form of synchronised demo replay (with the new community section featuring Clan and Group chat functionality), it could be even designed as amazing video debriefing tool of clan wars!
                    One can always dream...

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

I like email as an option. But, the first thing that popped into my head was "notification fatigue". We deal with something like this in healthcare called "alert fatigue". You give a physician too many alerts popping up on his screen and all of a sudden he starts ignoring ALL of them due to "alert fatigue".

I have a feeling that with the number of times a server cycles through game modes and players, people would quickly tire of the unruly amount of emails hitting their inbox. I guess there could be an option to only send email alerts between a specific set of hours (7PM and 9PM for example), which could cut down on the "noise".

I love the idea of front-facing information and I love the idea of options. So, the email thing sounds great as does a server browser where you can see player names, counts, and gametypes.
                      I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

I don't think that is actually needed. In the active times of ut99-2k4 you'd know which servers were active and had good players on them if you wanted to play a certain gametype.
                        And realistically servers will stick to the same gamemode anyway.
                        This might be needed if there are very few servers or very few players, so getting notified of a pub game happening may be nice. But we all do not hope UT4 will go the way UT3 did when it launched.

And if you decide to add such a feature (or any other social media integration) there needs to be a (default) opt-out option.
                        Last edited by incifan; 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Perhaps go one step further and have a mobile app? Don't know. Think of steam, has a buddylist etc which you can use on mobile and it works great. I'd certainly use the feature but it'd be even cooler if i could sneak peak scores of a duel server on a mobile phone app. And get notifications if a buddy of mine joins a server or whatever.

Maybe im thinking too crazy?
                          http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

• A game launcher desktop application providing every community feature and the customisable notifier with direct connect to match possibility
                              +
                            • A light version for smartphones with only friend messages, notifier and server browser, maybe even server scoreboard & chat
                              would be amazing.

Not necessarily crazy but much demanding, I guess...

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Originally posted by chumb0 View Post
                              Perhaps go one step further and have a mobile app? Don't know. Think of steam, has a buddylist etc which you can use on mobile and it works great. I'd certainly use the feature but it'd be even cooler if i could sneak peak scores of a duel server on a mobile phone app. And get notifications if a buddy of mine joins a server or whatever.

I'm just that kind of crazy: UT Mobile App on UT Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by chumb0 View Post

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
                                • A game launcher desktop application providing every community feature and the customisable notifier with direct connect to match possibility
                                  +
                                • A light version for smartphones with only friend messages, notifier and server browser, maybe even server scoreboard & chat
                                  would be amazing.

Not necessarily crazy but much demanding, I guess...

While these are some good thoughts, there are some limitations to think of:

1) A buddylist feature would require a player login system on Epic's end, and the apropriate API to handle this.
                                2) The ability to have a server browser, and poll data from all available servers, again depends on a master server that must be provided by Epic.
                                3) In order for you to get the notifications, that would mean that the applet needs to run in the background. And unless we develop some sort of push service, the notification process about friend chat/friend invites/friends playing, will consume a ridiculous amount of battery.

As a student, of a technological institute, that has done a dissertation on android applications, I might be of some help.
                                > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                                > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                                > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Working...
                                X