Consistency in the game assets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consistency in the game assets

So I was a huge fan of UT3 specifically for the art. A lot of the concept artists, particularly James Hawkins, Jeremia and Paul all did a great job of keeping the art style unified and up to standard. One of the things I worry about is who will act as the 'gatekeepers' of which assets make it into the game and which don't in terms of quality and consistency with the art style. Is this going to be like a Dota 2/TF2/Planetside 2 marketplace where only very few assets make it through, and those that do are indistinguishable from the assets produced internally? I'm really really excited to see what Hawkprey's concept art would look like in the UE4 engine, but I'm worried with the crowdsourced asset landscape the quality will be all over the place. It's like if you built a game out of all the assets currently in the Unity Asset store, it'd be a mess, so I presume the process for Unreal Tournament 4 will be different.

Anyone know who will be back to actually 'design' the game before the community make it into Second Life 2?

Obviously there is a core team working on the game that will go with the style they feel is right and from the feedback they've got within the community. So no, it's not going to be pieced together assets from meshes everyone's made.
    When you have a completed model for example, you submit a "pull" request through github, which the UT team at Epic will review.

Comment

That's an interesting point I've been wondering about as well.
      Another issue would have been the game size in such a case. Having a ton of custom assets for every map would certainly be overkill I can imagine.

That "pull idea" is a nice one.
      S l y .

Comment

This is one of my primary concerns too.

Comment

Once the art direction is set by Epic, just create assets that fit in with that style and submit them for review

Comment

Working...
          X